• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LoveToShoot

Jun 4, 2015
    Bel Air, Md
    I've been on the BPD for 28 years now and can definitely attest that things aren't like they used to be. But I can also say that they weren't like they used to be when you joined. Why don't you just stick around for a bit and see what happens during the next election? Old Sheila might just win and she has already declared that her first order of business would be to petition the President to get Ed Norris a pardon. She loved him as Commish and so did everyone else in the BPD. He hasn't said that he wouldn't take the job if it was offered to him and I could see morale actually going back up again under his watch. Or you could just go to another jurisdiction where the local government and community give a crap about LEO's.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I've been on the BPD for 28 years now and can definitely attest that things aren't like they used to be. But I can also say that they weren't like they used to be when you joined. Why don't you just stick around for a bit and see what happens during the next election? Old Sheila might just win and she has already declared that her first order of business would be to petition the President to get Ed Norris a pardon. She loved him as Commish and so did everyone else in the BPD. He hasn't said that he wouldn't take the job if it was offered to him and I could see morale actually going back up again under his watch. Or you could just go to another jurisdiction where the local government and community give a crap about LEO's.

Idk, i really like him on the radio :D

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

Respect. Thank you. :patriot: (we need a flag with a thin blue line emoji)

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Go west young man, go west.

- try to join the BCI/BCA/DPS in a state where people still respect the work you do.
    - small federal oddball agencies like dept of agriculture OIG, HHS OIG and the like.
    - go west and then south and try to get into a suburban agency in a place nicer than here.
    - just move to a better agency in-state.

You went into this career for a reason, the agency and environment of the town could frustrate anyone, I wouldn't give up on my career path just yet.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I think its pretty simple, just move on instead of hating your job everyday, that's definitly not healthy.

Your state pension is nice but if anyone is smart about their money the first day they start their first job while in school, you really don't need rely on that. Of course being smart with money + pension is even better.

Pgas32

Mar 10, 2015
    Cecil
    BG&E as well as just about every other large cooperation have internal investigators and I would think with your degree and training you could do well.

Definitely look into BG&E and their parent company, Exelon. Security is a big thing there, whether it's physical threats at the power plants or cyber threats concerning IT infrastructure. :thumbsup:

Rocky BearDog

1 mile south of freedom
    Sep 6, 2011
    Millers, MD.
    +1 for BGE corporate security. This is NOT the guy sitting at the front lobby desk - we have corporate investigators involved in CIP compliance, suspected sabotage investigations etc. Keep an eye on Exelon.com under the careers heading. Good pay and benefits. Great career move.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    One of the reasons I love IT is that it spans every industry. I've worked for hospitals, manufacturing, government contractors, insurance, financial, and government. It's fun to see how different types of organizations run.

IT isn't hard, you just need common sense and a little drive. You don't even need a BS in IT to be successful. You can study on your own, take some low or free jobs to build experience and then transition into it pretty easy.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    I can't imagine doing any job other then policework. I joined a little older the the average. Remember the feeling you had when you walked across that stage. A change of agency might be what you need. Many police agencies in MD have pretty good working conditions and would love to have you. The grass is greener In this situation. You might take a pay cut but you won't be hating life. Working patrol in a county is not the same as working patrol in the city.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    +1 for BGE corporate security. This is NOT the guy sitting at the front lobby desk - we have corporate investigators involved in CIP compliance, suspected sabotage investigations etc. Keep an eye on Exelon.com under the careers heading. Good pay and benefits. Great career move.

Exeloncorp.com

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    If your willing to go back to school for your second BS, go into computer science. I recently got my second BS in Computer science, and I only had to take the core classes. It took me two years, at one to two classes for a 8 week semester. Get into the computers, such as programming or networking.

Look into the IT industry, I think that will be the best career change. Its not as hard as people might think. All it is is remembering keywords, and the syntax of programming. My first degree was also in BS business management, and now just waiting to sell my business, whenever that might be.

If you dont want to go back to school, look into sql and pl/sql, and study for Oracle exam. You can totally study and learn from home off of youtube, and all the websites that teach you stuff. But I would suggest IT industry. if not,ever thought of going to law school?

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    Easiest: sticking with some form of LEO / investigative work. It gets you out of BPD while you regroup and think.

Downside: every one of us is prone to just put one foot in front of the other each day, and something "temporary" as a port in a storm change can easily turn into years. Fine, if that's what you want.

You have people skills. You have a business degree you have not used. You can think on your feet. It is worth thinking about whether you want to continue a commitment to LEO work, or truly make a change.

You might think about some form of sales. Before you react, I am not thinking car sales and the like. Thinking more upscale / technical / perhaps financial (NOT stockbroker or insurance). Selling in that form is much more consultative, relationship oriented, problem solving with a product attached.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I think sales is worth a shot too. As a former LEO, I'm sure you're comfortable speaking with strangers. I worked in labs for 12 years and realized I was not going to make enough money to live the way I wanted in this area. I considered law school but that's a lot of time, money and effort and what if I didn't like it.

There's not much of anything involved in sales really. If there were, they'd send you for a four year degree instead of a two day Dale Carnegie seminar. The up side is that you can try it with very little outlay and if you don't like it, you might still be a bit ahead. It's low risk IMO.

FWIW, I had an interview with the regional Aflac office for selling insurance. I was pretty impressed with the program and I was going back for second interview until life took a turn. Seeing as that turn involves us having to make use of one of their policies which my wife had taken out at work, I am also convinced that it's a valuable product that can really help people. Anyway, good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom