• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    I dunno. How many voters are affected by high taxes and a crappy economy versus 2A issues?

Seems to me it's the former.

All are affected by both issues. People just weigh them differently. I imagine those in south Charles County are more concerned about Beretta going away versus higher taxes. If I thought Hogan was going to be another Erlich (ineffective) I would have voted third party. So I am a member of that margin.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Well, around here in liberal land, the liberals don't care a whit about the 2A issues. They are tired of high taxes and inept leadership in the case of Brown. I'd bet there are more of them than 2A issue voters state wide.

But it's anecdotal. No real numbers.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I disagree. I believe that if it wasn't for the 2A supporters, Brown would have won. The margin wasn't that great. I'd like to see someone do a study on this, because it's opinions and conjecture only at this point.
    Here's how you know: who else lost that should have won, based on their FSA2013 votes? If it were 2A issues driving elections, a lot of people would be out on their asses right now. They're not. Even the supposed "big targets", like Brochin, skated on to victory.

Also, Hogan won by 10 points, which is a friggin' landslide as it goes in this state.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    Here's how you know: who else lost that should have won, based on their FSA2013 votes? If it were 2A issues driving elections, a lot of people would be out on their asses right now. They're not. Even the supposed "big targets", like Brochin, skated on to victory.

Also, Hogan won by 10 points, which is a friggin' landslide as it goes in this state.

What you say may be true, but every year Maryland raises taxes significantly. I don't really know if this election had more taxes at issue than the last election. I remember under Erlich, that auto registration went up and other taxes (although politicians say they are not taxes) climbed. For example, LLC filing paperwork. Some things actually remained relatively flat like college tuition.

The only thing I see as different between this election and previous elections was the FSA. Otherwise, it's all the same. You may find that the state election was more a reflection of the dissatisfaction with Congress.

I went to look for the election results and found this page. At the bottom, you see that every pollster except one projected Brown as the winner. And not close. But with the results below, how could you trust a study evaluating the results if they couldn't even come close at predicting the election results.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryland_gubernatorial_election,_2014

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    In any event, I think we can make a reasonable push for legislation to specifically state that NFA firearms are exempt.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    You are missing the point. If you bring up the legislation they will do the opposite and specifically say that NFA items are banned.

There are not enough 2a supporters in the assembly to pass anything positive.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    My hope is that Engage wins their lawsuit, MSP complies and advises the BATF that any length SBR is legal because they are not rifles, and therefore the copycat provisions cannot be applied. Then we don't need to deal with anyone else for now.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I disagree. I believe that if it wasn't for the 2A supporters, Brown would have won. The margin wasn't that great. I'd like to see someone do a study on this, because it's opinions and conjecture only at this point.

I seriously doubt many people voted for Hogan solely on his 2nd Amendment stance because his stance on the 2nd Amendment wasn't all that vocal. I would really be shocked to find out that a ton of people voted for Hogan solely on his 2nd Amendment stance. Even if he was on par with Brown regarding the 2nd Amendment and infringing the heck out of it, I would have still voted for Hogan for the myriad of other conservative values that he endorses.

With that said, this entire NFA issue with SBR rifles is complete BS and completely frustrating.

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    Unlikely for votes in the respective Judicary Committes to pass a favorable Bill. If there were , unlikely for Dem leadership to allow the respective Chairment to have a vote. If it did reach the floor , unlikely to get favorable vote.

On the other hand once the NFA Loophole was pointed out to them , the anti's would like to close it.

On the third hand , the problem was created by MSP pulling an interpetation out of minimal density air. A different interpetation would be reach with equal or greater logic at any time.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    Why in the world would you think MD politicians are going to draft laws making firearm ownership easier. Do you live under a rock?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom