• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    For years and years I stuck strictly w/ 7rd . The issue is that with truely flush fitting 8rd has to have a shortened follower to fit the last round. They were then inconsistant in their angle wether loaded with all 8 or not.
    The new and improved 8rd that look like they have about .25 basepads , that actually have the magtube the whole length are a different story . They can run a 7rd style follower , and also fit 8th rd.

Several mfgs make quality mag bodies. I feel the Virgil Tripp followers are the * Most better'er *. I retrofit Tripp followers into my P90 mags ( different body , same followers as 1911) .

FWIW , I had always been reasonably content w/ 7rd anyway , valueing 100% reliability over an 8th rd.

I read a review of the Wilson Combat ETMs, they said the ETM bodies were a little longer then the 47Ds, allowing for better seating on a closed bolt with 8 rounds in the mag.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I have had problems with 8 round Power Mags feeding the last round but never an issue with their 10 rounders. Never an issue with 8 roundMec-Gars either. I prefer the Mec-Gars to the others I have tried.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    MecGar mags are very good mags. Underrated in my experience.

Some 8 round mags which started life as 7 rounders have weak springs and have been problematic. I typically put a seven round spring and follower in them and have no issues. Some of the 'converted' 8 round mags will run okay with an extra power mag spring.

Running ammunition which is known for feed issues (like stubby 185 grsin match SWC) will require late release mags or some other design to function reliably. Otherwise, a properly set up 1911 should run with any good mag. I have no issues with all of my mags running in all my 1911's. When a mag starts to crap out, with nose dives, last round loose with slide locked back, stalling on the feedramp, I inspect the feedlips, follower drag (synthetic followers are big problems in my experience) and spring tension. I replace whats toasted. If the feedlips are problematic and it is a known good mag, look at extractor issues. Some makes have known problems with extractors fatiguing in just a couple thousand rounds

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom