• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    In case anyone is interested, I thought I'd put up my experiences.

24 Sep ; Arrived safe and sound in Granada.

A long trip...my original fare was on Swissair. Which got CNX due to a connecting flight being dropped. Rebooked on Air France about a month ago. THAT got canceled because of a strike. So I wind up flying to Frankfurt on United, then on to Malaga on Lufthansa. OK by me.

Then I get to check bags...which took a good 90 minutes. They were training people - OK by me, that's why I got to the airport early. Then they start asking questions about booking the firearm case through...about 90 minutes later, they do.

Flights were about average. I detest flying commercial. Frankfurt is an ENORMOUS airport. With a mall in the middle to sell stuff to travelers. Convenient for them, but a PITA to get around in.

Got to Malaga, cleared Customs there. No problems with that, thankfullly. 90 minute or so drive to Granada. And we've got a good hotel, I think.

Anyway, I'm beat.

25 Sep

Turns out I must have been more tired than I thought. I got up this morning, ate breakfast, then took a nap. For 3 hours.

Then I drove out to the range. It's about a half-hour drive. Not the distance, but the roads...a roundabout every kilometer or so.

But it's a beautiful facility. Somewhat disheveled at the moment, as they are still doing cleanup after the ISSF World Championships, but beautiful all the same. I took a few photos, expect to get more over the next few days.

Bringing my GPS has been a Godsend. I'm making at least one wrong turn every trip, but the GPS has gotten me there and back. Otherwise, driving around would be a nightmare.

One bit of good news is that I still have the muscle memory to drive a stick-shift.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    IMG_0688_zpse68cea1a.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    The shotgun range.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    28 September, first day of practice.

We got to the range about 0840. Powder issue was the usual chaos, we didn't get to shoot until about 1100. The U.S. Team is running very tight on money, which meant that we got issued enough powder for 30 shots per event - including the 13 rounds for the match. Not that it matters...each country is assigned a single firing position at 25, 50, and 100 meters for practice. So there's just enough opportunity to shoot to check your zero, then turn over the firing point to the next shooter.

Weather was rainy. The rain in Spain falls everywhere - we're in the mountains, and it rained off-and-on until about the time we left the range. Miserable weather for shooting if you prefer a well-lit target (as I do).

I did all my practice today. Fortunate, since I got roped into a meeting of the MLAIC Technical Committee tomorrow...whenever that is supposed to happen.

Probably the most painful part is being required to store the guns at the range. Which means that we get to try and clean them at the range - a PITA at best. And dragging the cases to and fro is tiring. The only good news is that the range is well equipped with ramps, so if you have a wheeled case, it's not too bad. Still, a case with 4 pistols and all the accoutrements gets heavy.

I'll try to take some photos tomorrow.

29 Sep, 2nd day of practice. Which I didn't get any, seeing as the target was booked, I was covering a meeting, and I'm fighting a cold. And sleep problems - I sleep soundly for three hours, then wake up.

But I did get some good photos, at least of the shotgun shooters. Rifle and pistol are much harder.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    If you're curious, the scores are up at the Spanish Federation website. The U.S. Team hasn't done too badly, considering that we're up against very well-funded German, French, and Spanish teams...the latter shooting on their home range. I'm told that the prize money paid to a German shooter for a single gold medal is equal to the U.S. Team''s entire operating budget. We're running on a shoestring.

My own performance has been disappointing. About 4-5 points below 2012, due to a combination of a cold, and a work schedule that smashed any hope of practicing the last two months to flinders. The one bit of good news was that I shot an honorable score with the original flintlock duelling pistol...and my two teammates finished 1-2 in that event. Which meant that we won team gold...and a trophy that we get to keep until 2016.

IMG_0748_zps75f6b64f.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    This is the trophy. The Muzzle-Loading Association of Great Britain donated it, it's a rotating trophy.

IMG_0738_zps4a881db7.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom