• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sonicnofadz

Jul 24, 2012
    Perry Hall, MD
    Shot this footage from my house viewing across the street, at night. I live in Perry Hall (not far from APG, where there have been many coyote sightings). I only live a few miles from 695, (just up route 1), fairly urban neighborhood. Can anyone identify what these critters are? Foxes? Raccoons? Coyotes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnHZaEZ51vM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMk2DtJBZCI

I've seen them multiple times, I think they are being attracted to the cat food my neighbor throws out on her front porch.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Shot this footage from my house viewing across the street, at night. I live in Perry Hall (not far from APG, where there have been many coyote sightings). I only live a few miles from 695, (just up route 1), fairly urban neighborhood. Can anyone identify what these critters are? Foxes? Raccoons? Coyotes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnHZaEZ51vM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMk2DtJBZCI

I've seen them multiple times, I think they are being attracted to the cat food my neighbor throws out on her front porch.

Definitely not a raccoon or a coyote. My guess would be a fox. They just seem a tad bit too big to be a fox and their head seems to be a little too big. The tail matches for a fox though. They also seem to be too thick/muscular to be a fox. Who knows, maybe a cross between a fox and a domesticated dog.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Absolutely not a raccoon. I am not used to thermal imaging and it was hard to get a read on the size of the animal. I was leaning toward it being too large to be a fox. but the cat seemed bigger than I was expecting a cat to be. If it's a fox, it's not as graceful as my local fox. It reminded me more of a skittish puppy than a predator. It does have a bushier tail than nearly all dogs.

I don't know if your neighbor will appreciate being thermal imaged, but her cat is next up on the menu.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I vote fox tail too bushy for coyote also if running also most same trail that's what foxes will do. Coyote from what I have been told don't follow that type of pattern unless den near by or food source is in same area nightly. FoxTrapper might chime in as she is out there much more then most of us. Chris

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    The Urban Foxes (new singing group) get bigger than what we are used to seeing in nature, thanks to the Cat Lady Buffet. Got a Super Fox in my neighborhood and yes, they make the same rounds like clockwork.

I wish cats would just injest Cat Ladies.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    There was an article in the post a couple weeks ago about the amount of wolf genes making it into coyotes. Very interesting.

However are you sure it wasn't this kind of coyote?

coyote.jpg

sonicnofadz

Jul 24, 2012
    Perry Hall, MD
    Thanks for the input guys, I think most people tend to agree they appear to be foxes, behavior seems to also match that of a fox. Glad these are not coyotes (for the cat's safety), although many people around my area have reported seeing (and hearing) them in the wooded areas. Cant wait to bring this camera back home with me into some of the remote swamp areas of the eastern shore, god knows what I might see

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom