• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    I am looking for a good gun range in the vicinity of Baltimore. I went to one last summer but it was a dump and I forgot the name. I am not looking to drive to Virginia since this is for weekly range sessions.

1) What range do you think is the best indoor range for handgun shooting to 25 or 50 yards?
    2) What is the best outdoor rifle range with at least a 100 yard range? I would prefer one that has a 600 yard range, but I know that is a stretch. 300 would be fine since I am shooting 7.62x51mm.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I am looking for a good gun range in the vicinity of Baltimore. I went to one last summer but it was a dump and I forgot the name. I am not looking to drive to Virginia since this is for weekly range sessions.

1) What range do you think is the best indoor range for handgun shooting to 25 or 50 yards?

2) What is the best outdoor rifle range with at least a 100 yard range? I would prefer one that has a 600 yard range, but I know that is a stretch. 300 would be fine since I am shooting 7.62x51mm.

As far as indoor pistol ranges go, I'm a member at FreeState in Middle River. It has 12 lanes, lots of supplies, and a friendly staff. Annual membership is $250. That gets you unlimited range time, free ultrasonic cleanings, and discounts on courses. They have great target movers and well lit lanes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    From what I see in the news looks like there's a big area a few blocks from the inner harbor that a lot of shooting happens, must be a decent range there somewhere.:innocent0
    Sorry OP I just couldn't help myself.:lol2: good luck finding a place to shoot.:thumbsup:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    As far as indoor pistol ranges go, I'm a member at FreeState in Middle River. It has 12 lanes, lots of supplies, and a friendly staff. Annual membership is $250. That gets you unlimited range time, free ultrasonic cleanings, and discounts on courses. They have great target movers and well lit lanes.

Agree with everything except the lighting. Freestate's lighting sucks. Go to another range and compare.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Agree with everything except the lighting. Freestate's lighting sucks. Go to another range and compare.

How do you think their lighting sucks?

They have like 10 or 15 levels of adjustable lighting for each booth that you can set yourself.

In general, I would second or third or whatever the Free State recommendation. I'm not a member there now (though I was, I just can't make as many range trips as I want these days) but it's the best indoor range in the greater Baltimore area.

For outdoor, I think probably the best one around is the Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, which is in Mariottsville. You'll have to join one of the clubs, but it seems to be the place to be for outdoor shooting.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The lights are on the sides of the booths, not in the middle where one would normally stand and max is still kinda dim unless you are 15 years old.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    The lights are on the sides of the booths, not in the middle where one would normally stand and max is still kinda dim unless you are 15 years old.

The lights are on the top of each booth, so I'm not sure what you are talking about with the lights being on the side. I'm 54 with average vision and the lights work just fine for me.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Depends which side of Baltimore you are on, east or west. AGC is the best outdoor, and you can now shoot steel. =)

For indoor, if you are on the east/north side, Freestate for sure. If you are on the south/west side, The Machine Gun Nest in Frederick is excellent, just off I-70.

There are indoor places closer than either, depending where you live. (Continental in Timonium, On Target in Severn). I do not consider them "dumps," but the facilities/ staff are not nearly as nice as Freestate or TMGN. If you are just looking to get in and out and punch paper, they are fine.

Also, just to add... don't just look at the facilities. Look at transfer prices, and other services.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom