• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I saw something today that I think is pretty odd.I was working in the Ruxton area and was eating my lunch inside my car.I was watching three does browsing their way closer to where I was.A while later four young bucks( two 6 points and two 8 points) came up to where the does were.The two 8 pointers squared up and started fighting.It wasnt a full out fight but was more intense then simple sparring.There was a lot of twisting and pushing for about two minutes then one buck broke off and the other one ran him off.I know deer fight for their pecking order all year long but I didnt think bucks would still be locking horns that hard at this time of year.

Two things come to mind......either they were showing off for the does or it has been such a mild winter,they have enough stored energy to work off some calories.

PS.....the does showed zero interest in the bucks and the bucks didnt approach any does.

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Saw 2 half racks square off over a doe and another doe being chased by a 4 pt Wednesday evening.

This weather has all of nature confused

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    This is 2 months too late for a second rut, so I don't know why they'd be in rutting form. It also surprises me that they'd still have their antlers. We are talking March in Maryland. There shouldn't be any kind of that activity going on.

Strange to be sure. I wonder if the DNR would be interested in this information?

fscwi

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2012
    This is 2 months too late for a second rut, so I don't know why they'd be in rutting form. It also surprises me that they'd still have their antlers. We are talking March in Maryland. There shouldn't be any kind of that activity going on.

Strange to be sure. I wonder if the DNR would be interested in this information?

I've read studies that say doe can go into run up to 7 times if not bred. Especially in areas of over population they can cycle through multiple times. Before they started doing cull hunts in Rock Creek Park in DC a few years back, I use to see rut activity well into February multiple times. There were way too many deer in that area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom