• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Today was my first time taking my son out shooting. Squirrel hunting last year he wouldn't shoot my neighbors 20ga pump because he was scared. This time he was excited to go trap shooting, but he said ahead of time he'd only shoot the shotgun twice. He gets an idea in his head and he sticks with it...

I got him to shoot 4 times and he broke 2 clays! Shooting low recoil 20ga through my youth single shot. I think he psyched himself in to it hurting more than it did, but he still complained about it hurting. He had a shoulder shield on for the first 3 shots and once without (last shell in the box). I think the issue was more the shooting glasses and ear pro were not a great fit and it was pushing it up in to him on the recoil as he wasn't complaining about his shoulder.

He is excited to go back again, but he was done for the day. He said 2 shots and he went 4. I asked him again and he said he'd be would like to go back and do it again. He is more excited about going and shooting my 10/22 though. In a few weeks if I have the time I'll take him.

Attachments

• IMG_2631.jpg
      IMG_2631.jpg
      183.1 KB · Views: 240

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Very nice to see father and son times. He'll probably remember this forever. Great day to be outdoors too. Where were you guys shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I jealous. Had to teach my self how to do all that stuff. You have a very lucky son my friend. :)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I jealous. Had to teach my self how to do all that stuff. You have a very lucky son my friend. :)

Me too. And hell, still learning. Only been doing it for 2 years now and I feel like I've missed out on so much. Like no one told me it was awesome and now I am in on the secret, but I want to spread the knowledge.

I was up at CCGC today. Sadly with my reno starting to pick up steam I probably won't be able to take him back out till mid April at the earliest.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Oh and my son also learned the importance of safety glasses real fast. He accidently hit the break lever on the gun and popped himself in the safety glasses (instead of the eye) with empty hulls! He did an "ouch" and then started laughing.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Great job Dad. Some would have forced him to shoot more than he was comfortable with doing. Let him go at his own pace. He's already a shooter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom