What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Does this count? Had the laptop out on the bench today crunching 6.5 load testing data.

b3c8d09340772572e0473cf8261d39a8.jpg

My head hurts and tall glass of Guinness didn't help.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    After getting tired of having issues with Lee bullet molds, I finally got a nice one. I went with a custom NOE mold, had them do plain base and a 3 cavity aluminum. It's amazing the quality difference between it and the cheap molds.

The bullet is: 314-202-RN 314299. Lyman originally made this bullet design I believe.

I cast them with wheel weights and powder coat them with Ford Light Blue from Eastwood. That powder/color is great. It applies very easily with the dry tumble method, and it's very durable.

I tried them first in two of my Argentine Mausers and they shot great sized .312 with 25gr of Reloader 7. Besides some powder fouling the bores had no sign of leading or residue from the powder coat. I have had issues with powder coated bullets leading badly if the diameter and load isn't just right. (Mostly in 8mm and 8x56R and that was with Harbor Freight red)

Next I will be trying them in the Type 99 and Mosin rifles. I might give it a go in the Swiss 1889 as well.
    You can't go wrong with a NOE or Mihec mold.. they are truly da bomb! :beer:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Anyone with Quickload willing to run a quick calc for me. Using AA4350, 6.5CM 140g Nosler CC CCI standard primer in 24" barrel.

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Got home from being out of town for work for three days. Cleaned up the bench and realized....crap I have a lot of work to do....about 2000 308 cases to resize and load...over 3000 223/556 cases to size and load....not to mention the 45 ACP/9mm/40 S&W and 10mm to do....

Well, tomorrow is another day....

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    An ongoing project. Thousands of 9mm!

Attachments

• tmp_18224-IMG_20170402_115221238700902.jpg
      tmp_18224-IMG_20170402_115221238700902.jpg
      88.8 KB · Views: 315

garber38

Custom tailored ionizer
    Dec 27, 2006
    Somewhere in PA.
    Looking for plans to build a new bench about 8 ft long with peg board and shelving. New bench is at my daughters house with a lot more room to do stuff.

Texas

Villiage Idiot
    Nov 16, 2016
    Accokeek
    Getting ready for Ed's class. Got to fine this load tomorrow and then start cranking out Ammo.

df5ef839fe5217f06a18a6e4e30e49b6.jpg

I wish I was set up to reload. I too am taking that class. I need to zero a scope I mounted today and find a load that my .308 likes. I think it is going to get expensive to finish getting ready.

StickShaker

Mar 3, 2016
    Montgomery
    I wish I was set up to reload. I too am taking that class. I need to zero a scope I mounted today and find a load that my .308 likes. I think it is going to get expensive to finish getting ready.

I know how you feel. I'm set up to reload but not .308. Sprung for 175g Federal Gold Medal Match.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country

If you already have the brass than getting setup to reload will probably cost about $500 for the basic RCBS kit plus dies and some miscellaneous hand tools. Depending on when your class is scheduled you may have enough time to develop a load.

I'm still new to reloading too so I cant give you the best advice but Ed helped me out a lot in this thread. https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=193303. Get to the part where he talks about the OCW method then follow the links on his site. You can easily spend an entire day reading the info.

I think I've put about 30hrs at home plus 3 trips to the range to get a load developed. What I've realized in this process is how accuracy and precision are so intertwined with the load, the rifle, the glass and the shooter.

If you don't have the time to work up a load then don't push it. Just get good match ammo. You'll have a good stash of brass to start reloading as time permits and then you'll be ready for the intermediate class next spring.

Texas

Villiage Idiot
    Nov 16, 2016
    Accokeek
    If you already have the brass than getting setup to reload will probably cost about $500 for the basic RCBS kit plus dies and some miscellaneous hand tools. Depending on when your class is scheduled you may have enough time to develop a load.

I'm still new to reloading too so I cant give you the best advice but Ed helped me out a lot in this thread. https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=193303. Get to the part where he talks about the OCW method then follow the links on his site. You can easily spend an entire day reading the info.

I think I've put about 30hrs at home plus 3 trips to the range to get a load developed. What I've realized in this process is how accuracy and precision are so intertwined with the load, the rifle, the glass and the shooter.

If you don't have the time to work up a load then don't push it. Just get good match ammo. You'll have a good stash of brass to start reloading as time permits and then you'll be ready for the intermediate class next spring.

Yea that was my plan. I am looking at the Lake City he recommended or Hornady. I figure I can scavenge the brass then use the Hornady rebate of 500 projectiles if you buy the press kit for my reloading experimentation.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Your project wouldn't be an Easter Egg hunt would it? No offense meant.

As for me, I have given up on reloading for the time being.

Easter eggs? Inside joke? If so, I get it.

Why not reload? No need to explain here. Just curious.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I drove out to Clark Brothers today, with three pistols, a revolver, and a PCC. The chronograph was my friend today. My 9mm coated bullet loads make Minor in my CZ, my 9mm lead bullet loads make minor in my PCC, I found a better Major load for my 40 Limited gun, my .357 158gr coated bullets hit 1300+ fps but lack neck tension so I had my first pullback, and I hit 1380 fps with 180gr lead bullets out of my 10mm 1911. Of course the drive back was an adventure, since my normal route back was blocked for apparently no good reason, so it took over an hour to get back home, instead of 40 minutes. But I now have loads I know are going to work, with components I have plenty of. I might have to head over to Cabela's again for Winchester SPPs going for $26.39 per thousand.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Easter eggs? Inside joke? If so, I get it.

Why not reload? No need to explain here. Just curious.

The poly colors made me think of Easter eggs for some reason.
    Too busy to reload or even get my daily shooting in, first hint of warm weather and every boat owner needs something built, now! Most business seems to be healthy early this year. Also expanding my shop and redesigning my reloading room which I will label "office" for now :)
    yeah, I'll shoot today.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I drove out to Clark Brothers today, with three pistols, a revolver, and a PCC. The chronograph was my friend today. My 9mm coated bullet loads make Minor in my CZ, my 9mm lead bullet loads make minor in my PCC, I found a better Major load for my 40 Limited gun, my .357 158gr coated bullets hit 1300+ fps but lack neck tension so I had my first pullback, and I hit 1380 fps with 180gr lead bullets out of my 10mm 1911.

I thought they required you to shoot their ammo there. That place is always packed when I drive past it on the way to my brother-in-law's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom