Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old August 25th, 2019, 05:54 PM #1

NRA cuts ties with Attorney Charles Cooper

Does anyone who is taking over the cases he was representing the NRA? He was doing a lot of cases for them. More to the point does this mean Dave Thompson and the rest of the Kirk Cooper team are gone? They are/were representing the NRA in the Mass carry case among others.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...el/2091478001/

In the apparent next phase of a continuing civil war within the NRA, the country’s most powerful gun lobbying organization cut ties with outside attorney Charles Cooper, the New York Times and both Washington Post both reported. Additionally, another outside counsel, Michael Volklov resigned, the Post also reported citing NRA spokesman Andrew Arulanandam. And the Times reported that a top in-house counsel resigned as well.

Cooper represented the NRA for the past three decades. He said in a statement provided to the Post: “At every turn, I have advised my client as to my best judgment of the steps that should be taken to advance and protect the best interest of the NRA itself.” He also said he had "adhered to the highest standards of professionalism and loyalty." And that his allegiance had been to the group itself “not to any individual officers or directors of the organization.”

― Plato
wolfwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2019, 08:59 PM #2
i pi

i pi

All I can say is that the NRA shenanigans better not interfere with pending Supreme Court cases. It would be the end of the NRA.
danb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2019, 08:27 AM #3

This one confuses me a bit. Why would they cut ties with what appears to be someone they farmed out work to do, apparently over internal issues? Is this a financial decision, they can’t afford them?
Work hard, shoot straight, play fair, fight dirty
DanGuy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2019, 11:19 AM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGuy48 View Post
This one confuses me a bit. Why would they cut ties with what appears to be someone they farmed out work to do, apparently over internal issues? Is this a financial decision, they can’t afford them?
My guess is they asked him to do something unethical. Cooper refused and they cut ties with him.

― Plato
wolfwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2019, 12:40 PM #5

I get the impression that a lawsuit against WLP from NRA members might turn up some very interesting material in the discovery phase.

The impression I've formed is that he's had his hand in the till...legally, perhaps, but not ethically. And I suspect this is why he is so obstinate about not leaving. Any new EVP would be forced to conduct an investigation, which might turn up a whole lot of problems.
Old August 27th, 2019, 03:32 PM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
My guess is they asked him to do something unethical. Cooper refused and they cut ties with him.
Someone needs to come clean about exactly what has happened to get so many people to cut loose, or be cut loose. Someone must have some hard facts and they need to make them known to the voting members. I can understand that a law firm might not be free to speak out but there must be some among those board members that could do so. It needs to aired out fast, not dragged out.
Work hard, shoot straight, play fair, fight dirty
DanGuy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2019, 05:52 PM #7
Crank in the Third Row

Crank in the Third Row

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGuy48 View Post
Someone needs to come clean about exactly what has happened to get so many people to cut loose, or be cut loose. Someone must have some hard facts and they need to make them known to the voting members. I can understand that a law firm might not be free to speak out but there must be some among those board members that could do so. It needs to aired out fast, not dragged out.
I think it's time the membership sponsored a full and complete third party audit. Financial, Management, Ethics, Process, the works. Stir up some sh1t, I suspect...

Dark to Light; sheep no more. WWG1WGA WWNC
#MorePatriotsThanHandcuffs
BeoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2019, 06:16 PM #8

I still think a bunch of us that have given lots of money to them over the years should go there one day as a group to get answers.
Engine4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2019, 07:42 PM #9
i pi

i pi

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wa...is-gun-owners/

Wayne LaPierre Abandons Illinois Gun Owners
Quote:
In fact, without the NRA-ILA support, the trio of Guns Save Life lawsuits, including the one we won that blocked the Deerfield gun and magazine ban, likely would not have happened.

But when it comes to these lawsuits, we no longer have the NRA-ILA’s support. On Saturday morning, I got a call from our attorneys. They informed me that Wayne LaPierre had severed the relationship between the NRA and the Cooper & Kirk law firm. It seems NRA EVP and CEO Wayne LaPierre saw Charles Cooper as part of the so-called insurrection attempt against his not-so-benevolent leadership. In Wayne’s world, that meant Cooper had to go.
Quote:
For our part, at least for the immediate term, Cooper & Kirk has told me not to worry about the bill. In the long term? We’ve already started scrambling to secure funding.

Thanks, Wayne. Don’t look for a Christmas card from Guns Save Life anytime soon, pal.
By abandoning the funding of lawsuits WLP is annihilating any remaining goodwill. I mean, what exactly is the point of having conservative pro-2A justices?
danb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2019, 08:53 PM #10
Former MSI BOD

Former MSI BOD

So we know Wayne has expensive tastes.

Is it beyond reason to think that Bloomberg got to him and turned him?

What better way to destroy your enemy than to corrupt it's leader to the point he alienates his followers to the point of no return.
gprimr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues