• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Got the phone call while I was @ work . Water stopped . While I was on phone, she tapped the pressure switch ( as we periodically had to do ) to knock loose dust in the contacts . They then reported flames . I told them to just turn off @ circuit breaker, thinking dryer lint .

Today I replaced the pressure switch , and just got a big arc when turned power back .

My first thought is the pump ( in bottom of deep well ) is bad , and shorting out .

Is there anything else obvious it might be ?

Added - Same pump from when well was replaced circa 2005 .

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    open up the control box , there should be at least one , probably two capasitors , plus a relay . if they are alright then it's probably the pump or the wire going out to it .

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Any problems with water stopping before? Sounds like it.

I had to replace the well pump this spring. It would intermittently stop, then restart it self. The pump was drawing too much current, thermal overload would shut it off until it cooled. Eventually it took so much current protections would not let it come on.

Hope you have better news.

btw, my existing pump was circa 2007. The well guy the the model quality went down hill and no longer installed it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Control Box ? I'm not that high tech , nor sure what else such a box would control .

Main circuit breaker box > Pressure Switch > imeadately into conduit leading to well .

For whatever reason , the cover over the pressure switch got left off years ago , and dust/ lint could settle on the wires and springs of the Pres Switch . Once or twice a year, give it a tap to dislodge dust in the contacts . So my optimistic plan A was that lint had shorted the actual switch , and a new switch unit, making sure to use cover, would handle things .

But Nope . Brand new switch imeadately blew when power turned on . Seems like massive load coming from the pump . Could it hypothetically be wires shorted inside conduit running out to well? Maybe . But beyond my skils/ inclinations to pull up pump to check the wires .

But of course , If I'm missing something simple above ground , I'd love fix this quickly . ( Just talked to Mrs Biggfoot on phone, re motel room, and basically refused to make an answer . I won't tell her she couldn't , but that if it takes a while, it is not viable to spend more on hotels than the actual well .)

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Ours was a bad wire going down to the pump. Since the pump had been in for 30 years we told the company to install a new pump while they had it out. Good luck.

jt2100r

Aug 2, 2014
    Huntingtown
    Had my replaced a couple years ago. They said 12 years is about average. Mine is 405' deep. I got about 20 yrs out of the original.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    14yrs on this one, so I suppose if it needs pulling, might as well replace while its up. Pun unintended .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Checked the wellhead . Conduit comes from the ground straight into the water tight cap. No access for a critter to get to any wires .

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    mine was 220 volt , yours must be 110 . have a ohmmeter ? disconnect the wires and check each one to ground . you should have some resistence on each wire , ie: hundreds of ohms , not 0 . the ground wire will be 0 , infinite .

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    While the topic is active, who is he premier well servicing company (down hole) that covers southern Calvert Co.? I have zero history on my well other than what the county provides, and I know the pressure tank and related components are not original to this 1989 house. It would be good to have a company already programmed in my phone for the inevitable well pump failure.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Don't know what counts as "Premiere " , but two of the largest , both with good reputation , are Calvert Well Drilling in Prince Fredrick, and Franks Well Drilling south of La Plata

Meanwhile contact made with Calvert, they will ge here this afternoon .

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    My well did the same this spring. Pump finally couldn’t provide enough pressure and would not stop running. I figured a pressure switch issue so I replaced it. No dice. Pulled the pump and redid everything. My pump was original to the house which was built in 1996.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I don't recall exactly, iirc 600-ish . I'm told new wells in my area go 1000-ish .

Which translates to why Calvert Well will be replacing, not me .

Just picked up an industrial 30A " light switch" to put in place of the regular one I swapped for testing . ( For the wall switch to turn off well )

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom