• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    It’s a paper work exercise that doesn’t take long, they now have Notarized info on you so don’t screw it up . You still have to complete the National Instant Criminal Background Check (NICS) (Fed’s) and you must complete the forms (More Paper). watch out for question 11,I every one screw that one up.

About all the Maryland Designated Collectors (MDC) letter does for you is removes the 30 day wait time between purchases of regulated firearm in Maryland.

If you work in law enforcement or some parts of the government you have to be finger printed and pass a deep background check, school teachers have to be finger printed and pass a basic back ground check.

To buy a firearm in some states you have be finger printed and have a card that says you can purchase a firearm and ask are you crazy check if you have any outstanding warrants, in Maryland they make you wait 7-10 days or get a Maryland Designated Collectors (MDC) letter that their "Authorized to Purchase card".

I don't think the United States has a lot spare money right now to fund this but it will create more government jobs. The cost to fingerprint and run a full background checks cost more than just a few dollars but doesn’t stop someone from buying a gun off the street and killing someone. In the end the whole process is for the powers to be stand in front of concern masses and say we stop the wrong people from Legally getting Firearms.

Again I heard it a shopping list when they come to collect your guns.:sarcasm:

And btw I'm not a FFL or a Lawyer, like most things in life the answers today will work on the questions of tomorrow!

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    I thought it also exempts you from the requirement that you can only transport to a range or repair facility? Being a MD Designated Collector now allows you to show your "collection" almost anywhere.

From the Maryland Code:
    "5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector's gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster"

Maybe it's just me but when I see people constantly use quotation marks around the word collection and around the worst private show, I read it as trying to be convincing that it it's a collection and trying to be convincing that there is a private show at their destination.

I seem to be alone in my thinking on this, but I doubt I would win a roadside argument with LEO about the legitimacy of the "private exhibition" I was on my way to with a vehicle full of guns.

I'm choosing to be conservative about this subject and not believe that Collector Status gives my some newfound freedom in transporting almost anywhere unless I can back up the legitimacy of the destination under the law.

Beemer

Sep 12, 2012
    Mine took just about a month. And that was last month.ccccc Most dealers Ive talking to all told me the same thing you got told.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    but I doubt I would win a roadside argument with LEO about the legitimacy of the "private exhibition" I was on my way to with a vehicle full of guns.

I'm choosing to be conservative about this subject and not believe that Collector Status gives my some newfound freedom in transporting almost anywhere unless I can back up the legitimacy of the destination under the law.

Except for those LEO's that are members here on MDS, practically none of them have any clue one way or another on MD's gun laws.

Try asking a few that you see out in public and see what answers you get.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    From the Maryland Code:
    "5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector's gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster"

Maybe it's just me but when I see people constantly use quotation marks around the word collection and around the worst private show, I read it as trying to be convincing that it it's a collection and trying to be convincing that there is a private show at their destination.

I seem to be alone in my thinking on this, but I doubt I would win a roadside argument with LEO about the legitimacy of the "private exhibition" I was on my way to with a vehicle full of guns.

I wouldn't try to tell any LEO I was transporting my Firearm's for a "private exhibition" they would call BS on that at the start. I would be transporting to the range for Target practice and have maps to every range in Maryland. Just keep them unloaded and the firearms and ammo in different storage/transport containers.

BTW I'm not a LEO or a Lawyer what you do to your business

RwWilly

Jan 1, 2013
    Harford, Kingsville
    To buy a firearm in some states you have be finger printed and have a card that says you can purchase a firearm and ask are you crazy check if you have any outstanding warrants, in Maryland they make you wait 7-10 days or get a Maryland Designated Collectors (MDC) letter that their "Authorized to Purchase card"

Am I reading this wrong? You still have to wait for state background check (7-10) days or longer. Even with a collectors status.
    It, collector status, only waives the 30 days between purchases.
    Is ths correct?
    Thanks

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Am I reading this wrong? You still have to wait for state background check (7-10) days or longer. Even with a collectors status.
    It, collector status, only waives the 30 days between purchases.
    Is ths correct?
    Thanks

Correct. This state sucks ballz. Dealers and residents have been conditioned to think this is pretty much normal and acceptable.

firestorm89

Dec 30, 2012
    I was surprised.. My collectors approval came back in less time then it took for for my approval on my last purchase... 28 days...

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I'm new to all of the tyrannical MD gun law BS so please forgive me for the questions that I may ask or comments that I may make. I have my MD designated collector paper ready to send out. I happened to mention it to a dealer and he made this comment "Well its good AND bad. Good that you can purchase more than one firearm per month. Bad because the state/govt can come to your house anytime to "inspect" your collection" So is there truth to this? If so then I don't know if I want to send it in.

Gbh

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    I'm new to all of the tyrannical MD gun law BS so please forgive me for the questions that I may ask or comments that I may make. I have my MD designated collector paper ready to send out. I happened to mention it to a dealer and he made this comment "Well its good AND bad. Good that you can purchase more than one firearm per month. Bad because the state/govt can come to your house anytime to "inspect" your collection" So is there truth to this? If so then I don't know if I want to send it in.

Not true.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    GBH is correct, the dealer is confusing it with federal C&R and he's not even right about that ... BATF can ask to meet you to inspect your bound book - not search your house

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom