• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    Recently installed a Romeo Zero on my P365XL. I noticed that there appears to be 2 dots. One bright "real" dot and a dimmer "false" dot below the "real" dot. If the "real" dot is centered correctly I don't see the second "false" dot. However if the "real" dot is near the top of the window I can see both dots. If I have the gun tilted slightly upward I only see the "false" dot but it is bright enough that I have mistaken it for the "real" dot when at the range doing drills involving follow-up shots.

Even with the brightness way down I still notice it. I am new to pistol mounted red dot so I still learning about getting the consistent sight picture and tracking the dot but seeing 2 dots is not helping. For those with Romeo Zeros or Trijicon RMRs is seeing 2 dots "normal"?

I have tried to take pictures the best I could.

Attachments

• out1-small.jpg
      out1-small.jpg
      19.7 KB · Views: 423
    • out2-small.jpg
      out2-small.jpg
      53.1 KB · Views: 437

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    It’s hard to capture on camera.

At arms length with the dot perfectly centered I only see one dot. The second dot appears when the first dot is near the top of the window. The bigger issue is if I don’t present or recover after recoil correctly with the gun tilted slightly upward (training issue) I see only the second false dot but don’t realize it’s the false dot because it’s bright.

I’ll add I showed it to two other people that both commented about the two dots.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    You are seeing a surface reflection of the 'dot emitter'. Hold the dot in the center and you won't see it. It's only at an acute angle that these appear. My Trijicons do it too, to some degree. Once you learn to bring up the dot properly, you will probably never see or notice it anymore.

I have my dots set up to co-witness my iron(suppressor height) sights.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    The other 2 red dots I have are a Trijicon MRO and a Primary Arms and neither exhibit this behaviour or its so miniscule I can't see it. RomeoZero has 8 brightness settings. If I have the brightness at the max of 8 the second dot is about brightness 4. At about brightness 3 the second dot starts to become noticeable.

I feel like an anti-reflective coating didn't get put one of the surfaces.

I'll keep working on my draw stroke. After watching:

I tend to draw muzzle up which means I pickup false dot first.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The other 2 red dots I have are a Trijicon MRO and a Primary Arms and neither exhibit this behaviour or its so miniscule I can't see it. RomeoZero has 8 brightness settings. If I have the brightness at the max of 8 the second dot is about brightness 4. At about brightness 3 the second dot starts to become noticeable.

I feel like an anti-reflective coating didn't get put one of the surfaces.

I'll keep working on my draw stroke. After watching:

I tend to draw muzzle up which means I pickup false dot first.

Could be. What I see(and I didn't dig mine out before my response above) is very inconsequential.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    You are seeing a surface reflection of the 'dot emitter'. Hold the dot in the center and you won't see it. It's only at an acute angle that these appear. My Trijicons do it too, to some degree. Once you learn to bring up the dot properly, you will probably never see or notice it anymore.

I have my dots set up to co-witness my iron(suppressor height) sights.

My Trijicon SRS does this. Just remembered the POS broke 5 years ago... should probably look into sending it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom