• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    It sounds like you are getting some good advice on the suppressor end of your question.
    I will ad to the host end of your question. When I started figuring out the host for my rimfire can I was looking at things. To add a threaded barrel and better iron sights to my 10/22 it was going to cost more than buying a new gun. I looked at a new 10/22 with a factory threaded barrel. Then I looked at the M&P 15/22. The 15/22 already had a threaded barrel and GI style sights. It also had the ability to use a lot of parts from the AR-15 platform. For the same price as upgrading the 10/22 I bought a 15/22 and have been happy with my choice. I got a second gun and it works well as a trainer for my AR-15 platform rifles.

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    Don’t underestimate the annoyance of cleaning a .22 can. I have the Element 2 which is quiet without FRP, but I rarely use it. I prefer to shoot my rifle can since it is maintenance free. I’d rather shoot more expensive ammo and forgo the hassle of dealing with the dirty rimfire residue.

There is a magical feeling when you can shoot quietly, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The real answer is, buy both. :D

I have a Gemtech rimfire can. And am thinking of getting an ISB also.

And a couple of other rimfire cans also. :D

Draco20

Apr 20, 2013
    MoCo
    I've been thinking about scratching this itch as well and have been looking at Silencer Shop. Does anyone have experience with their Single Shot NFA trust? Would it be easier to set up my own? This will be my first NFA purchase, but there will be others down the line.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Why do you need a trust?

If just for your use, you don't need one.

We did one, so both of us would have access to the NFA items

SR22 is a pistol. I think you are thinking of the Silent SR ISB

Integral suppressors typically do a better job of suppression, as they are longer and large volume.

But, while the ISB is very nice, you are limited to using it on a Ruger TD. A conventional one can be used on any number of firearms (rifle and pistol) by threading or changing to a threaded barrel.

BTW, the ISB does not have a front sight dovetail either.

I have the SR ISB for my take down. It's pricey and has no sights but it's very quiet and accurate. I did a complete review in the NFA section.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I've been thinking about scratching this itch as well and have been looking at Silencer Shop. Does anyone have experience with their Single Shot NFA trust? Would it be easier to set up my own? This will be my first NFA purchase, but there will be others down the line.

It's a breeze to set up, and cheap. I can't imagine any scenario where setting up your own would be an easier route, especially since they integrate that trust creation right into the paperwork work flow as your ATF stuff gets handled. That said ... doing the trust (any trust) will add possibly months to your wait on the tax stamp. Tough call. I did it, don't regret it, but it was 10 months for me.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I set up a trust so that my NFA items can be transferred to other family members and my BIL can use them as well. I think going the trust route is more flexible and easier.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I want to go the trust route so that family members would have access to it as well.

OK, Britt Stouffer is the common advice here.

I had Rusty do mine, but he seems to have dropped off the radar.

Do realize, that with a trust, EVERY trustee needs to submit fingerprints for EVERY NFA purchase.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    OK, Britt Stouffer is the common advice here.

Honestly, I don't think I'd patronize her based on the feedback from the guys who watch the HPRB meetings and what her tactics there are, but that's me.

Really I don't think I'd bother to patronize a lawyer at all for a basic Trust. Mostly what they're going to do is plug your name into a template that they use anyways, so I'm more happy paying $50 for that service from any of the well known places on the internet, and then later engaging a lawyer if I need further specific help.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    This for sure.

Integral suppressors are really nice for certain use cases, but a rimfire rifle isn't one of them (at least in my book).

If I were going to buy a rimfire can right now, it would be a Rugged Oculus. Behind that would be a Dead Air Mask HD (which I own - I bought them before the Oculus came out). They are both great cans, but the Oculus is modular which is really great.

Shooting rimfire through a good suppressor is addictive and you'll want to swap it on to all of your .22s sooner or later, so get ready. :)

Love my Oculus. Amazing can

Edit: I used silencer shop NFA trust and they were great. Can't recommend that place enough.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    This for sure.

Integral suppressors are really nice for certain use cases, but a rimfire rifle isn't one of them (at least in my book).

If I were going to buy a rimfire can right now, it would be a Rugged Oculus. Behind that would be a Dead Air Mask HD (which I own - I bought them before the Oculus came out). They are both great cans, but the Oculus is modular which is really great.

Shooting rimfire through a good suppressor is addictive and you'll want to swap it on to all of your .22s sooner or later, so get ready. :)

I’m leaning heavily towards the mask for suppressing my s&w 15-22 rifle. Do you have any experience with there sandman series suppressors? I’m looking at the S model as well. Seems like a good in between model length vs suppression wise.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    For a rifle I would recommend using a 9mm can with changeable mounts. As long as it is serviceable. I love larger volume cans. Much more quiet than a .22 can. Just my opinion.

Oneqwickr6

Feb 8, 2013
    I have a Yankee hill stinger .22 can as well as a Yankee hill sidewinder 9mm can and the stinger is noticably more quiet on my 10/22 takedown than the 9mm sidewinder can is. So I guess it depends on the 9mm can not all are quieter on a 22?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom