• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    I've shot a lot of this ammo and like it. Shoots fine, reloads fine, priced reasonably. But it seems to have been discontinued and/or replaced by Samson - IMI.

Does anyone know the story of this change?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMI Samson.jpg
      IMI Samson.jpg
      28.8 KB · Views: 503
    • IMI.jpg
      IMI.jpg
      35.9 KB · Views: 517

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    I was blowing primers with the green imi 77 razercore. But it shot great at 300 yards but sucked at 600. Wonder how this stuff does.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    yes the original IMI ( Israeli military industries) isnt in business anymore. it was a state owned business. it was reformed as a private company as IMI systems . it's now owned by Elbit systems. when it was IMI they made some of the finest ammo and weapons. honestly cant tell you how their quality rates now as I have nothing from them that I can think of.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    yes the original IMI ( Israeli military industries) isnt in business anymore. it was a state owned business. it was reformed as a private company as IMI systems . it's now owned by Elbit systems. when it was IMI they made some of the finest ammo and weapons. honestly cant tell you how their quality rates now as I have nothing from them that I can think of.

Not sure what you mean. From what I have read, Sampson industries either imports or makes some ammo for IMI Systems and formerly IMI. They have for a long time.

In 556, the green/yellow (bottom box picture) and white box ammo labeled IMI systems is sold currently. It comes and goes in scarcity, but just now can be had at a decent price of ~30-33 cents/round for M193. The bottom picture is the current branding.

From what I can tell, IMI Systems mostly sells 556 and 9mm. The other calibers (308 and 338) are more scarce in the US. The blue box 308 stuff might simply be old surplus still being imported/sold. But the green/yellow box (bottom) is the current branding, so it'll probably show up again eventually.

I dont think that the green/yellow has been discontinued. I think that is the current branding. My experience (with the 556) is that scarcity comes and goes. places get a bunch of it, then it sells out quickly. I have a lot of the 556 (green/yellow box) I bought on sale, and its pretty good stuff.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    according to what I have found Samson is a division of the now defunct IMI according to lucky gunner.

This 9mm FMJ ammo is manufactured by Samson, the small arms division of IMI (Israeli Military Industries). IMI has been manufacturing world class combat-proven weapons systems since 1933 and is a world leader in small caliber ammunition.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Not sure what you mean. From what I have read, Sampson industries either imports or makes some ammo for IMI Systems and formerly IMI. They have for a long time.

In 556, the green/yellow (bottom box picture) and white box ammo labeled IMI systems is sold currently. It comes and goes in scarcity, but just now can be had at a decent price of ~30-33 cents/round for M193. The bottom picture is the current branding.

From what I can tell, IMI Systems mostly sells 556 and 9mm. The other calibers (308 and 338) are more scarce in the US. The blue box 308 stuff might simply be old surplus still being imported/sold. But the green/yellow box (bottom) is the current branding, so it'll probably show up again eventually.

I dont think that the green/yellow has been discontinued. I think that is the current branding. My experience (with the 556) is that scarcity comes and goes. places get a bunch of it, then it sells out quickly. I have a lot of the 556 (green/yellow box) I bought on sale, and its pretty good stuff.

Best guess it’s because a cargo ship with a few million rounds comes in, gets distributed out, rinse and repeat periodically. Isn’t hot enough a commodity to be constantly in stock like a number of things from overseas ammo suppliers.

For commodity 223, M193 and M855, well and 7.62x51 it shoots really well. Best “cheap” ammo I’ve bought. Can’t get it as cheap as some last year or two, but can find it on sale for around $.30 a round occasionally. I’d rather spend $20-30 per 1000 more for something that shoots a bit more accurately.

Their 69 and 77gr 5.56 shoots very accurately for me. That said, I prefer PPU .223 75gr. The IMI match stuff usually runs $14-16 a box and occasionally can be found for $13ish a box. PPU 75gr is $10 all day long from a bunch of places. At least out of my 20” AR the IMI only beats out the PPU by tiny bit.

Then again, the IMI 77gr has a slight BC advantage over PPU 75gr AND it scoots about 200fps faster. So if you want to stretch out as far as possible with .223/5.56, the IMI is the way to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom