Vz 58 vs Arsenal 104. What would you choose?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which would you choose?

• Vz 58

Votes: 30 58.8%
    • Arsenal 104-51

Votes: 21 41.2%

• Total voters

Chem

Aug 1, 2018
    Trying to decide between these two and I need some convincing one way or the other. Both are mighty fine rifles.

Chem

Aug 1, 2018
    I voted for the Vz58 because I'm a sucker for "beaver barf" and because of the availability of 7.62x39 versus 5.45.

Let us know which route you take.

I'm personally leaning vz 58. Gotta say last round bolt hold open and top loading with stripper clips is pretty nifty. I do see what you mean about ammunition availability. If I do go vz58 I will probably go the tactical version which has a 6 position stock and is fully blacked out. No beaver barf for me although I don't hate it. I've seen some beech wood models that are very nice.

Naptown52

Dec 16, 2013
    If there was an indoor range within close distance that would allow you to shoot steel ammo, I would go with the Arsenal.

Brownl345

Jan 9, 2015
    Howard County
    I'm personally leaning vz 58. Gotta say last round bolt hold open and top loading with stripper clips is pretty nifty. I do see what you mean about ammunition availability. If I do go vz58 I will probably go the tactical version which has a 6 position stock and is fully blacked out. No beaver barf for me although I don't hate it. I've seen some beech wood models that are very nice.

Beech wood hand guards have a tendency to crack. I know from experience.

Chem

Aug 1, 2018
    Beech wood hand guards have a tendency to crack. I know from experience.

I believe it. I wasnt particularly interested in the beech wood model just think it looks nice.

I've owned both and sold the vz.58 - only because I have so many mags and accessories for the AK platform. Both are super fun.. Can't go wrong either way, IMO..

In your situation I dont blame you. Currently the closest thing I have to an ak is a vepr 12 lol so I'm not invested in either platform yet. I agree both seem like great choices.

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    I believe it. I wasnt particularly interested in the beech wood model just think it looks nice.

In your situation I dont blame you. Currently the closest thing I have to an ak is a vepr 12 lol so I'm not invested in either platform yet. I agree both seem like great choices.

Cool.

The milled receiver VZ is probably about a pound lighter than a stamped receiver AK if that makes a difference to you..

Chem

Aug 1, 2018
    Cool.

The milled receiver VZ is probably about a pound lighter than a stamped receiver AK if that makes a difference to you..

Definitely means something. The mags are also considerably lighter for the vz as well from what I've read.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Both.

Seriously though there are a lot of things that are not comparable.

SLR104 is 5.45, you may want to consider the more widely available SLR106 in 5.56 both are fine guns.

VZ58 is a better gun in many ways and different platform. Lighter, can be loaded from stripper clips, mags are not hard to find. Available in 7.62x39 and 5.56 I have both. If you want 7.62x39 this is your option.

All in all if you are ok with 5.45 and have a line on a SLR104 at a decent price I would be tempted to buy one. Right now VZ58s are plentiful, SLR104s are drying up.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Both.

Seriously though there are a lot of things that are not comparable.

SLR104 is 5.45, you may want to consider the more widely available SLR106 in 5.56 both are fine guns.

VZ58 is a better gun in many ways and different platform. Lighter, can be loaded from stripper clips, mags are not hard to find. Available in 7.62x39 and 5.56 I have both. If you want 7.62x39 this is your option.

All in all if you are ok with 5.45 and have a line on a SLR104 at a decent price I would be tempted to buy one. Right now VZ58s are plentiful, SLR104s are drying up.

I LOVE my SLR106. Took some time to get a collection of mags but I found a man who sold his 106 and had a ton of mags. Had them shipped to my son's house in PA and picked them up during one of my regular visits.

You really can't beat the SLR106 for many reasons. Steel cased 5.56 is just one of them.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I LOVE my SLR106. Took some time to get a collection of mags but I found a man who sold his 106 and had a ton of mags. Had them shipped to my son's house in PA and picked them up during one of my regular visits.

You really can't beat the SLR106 for many reasons. Steel cased 5.56 is just one of them.

Ya the mags are not cheap but not murderously priced and available. I need to get a few more. I have a 106F SAM5 and SLR106CR

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom