• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Ruger cold maybe do a copy of the old .44 carbine in .30.

But why? Same with a Mini 14 in .30 Carbine, WHY? If you wan .30 Carbine round, why not just get a M1 Carbine? The Mini 14 platform or 10/22 - 44 Carbine platform gives no real change versus the original.

Why drop back to .30 Carbine ballistics from .223? Or .44 Mag? Or even .330 Blackout.

.30 Carbine - 110 grain bullet at 1990 fps - 967 energy

.300 Blackout - 125 grain bullet at 2215 fps - 1360 energy

.223 Rem - 55 grain at 3280 - 1282 energy
    or 69 grain at 2950 - 1333

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Sound statements ^^^^

Some do it because it's there or it can be done...other guns have been built around the Carbine
    round so it wouldn't come as a surprise to see others or the AR chambered in it. Like picatinny
    handguard rails on everything out there since they appeared on AR's...sometimes just doesn't belong.

I find the most appealing aspect of the M1 carbine is its size, weight and configuration. The Ruger
    44 Carbine or Mini 30 in 30 M1 would be bulkier. I like the M1 carbine has no pistol grip (except
    the paratrooper), nor bulk, nor excessive gadgets and protrusions save the op rod charging handle.
    Bore line is close to the eye when it is shouldered. Shoots smooth and soft, won't fatigue you nor break
    the bank shooting similar quantities of ammo in big brother Garand or M1A. The M1 Carbine and
    its associate round fills a niche just like it is. It is a fun gun built around a serious endeavor.

All that said, it is not my first choice in a long gun for competition nor more serious matters. Downloaded
    some, it would make a good PCC legal for steel matches.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If they would chamber a M1 Carbine in 45 ACP or 9 and used 1911 or Glock then we would have something to talk about.

Chiappa makes an m1 carbine chambered in 9x19. Not sure what mags it takes.

For the couple states that allow straight wall cartridges for hunting I’d think .30 carbine may be legal. It would be a better option than .357 magnum (they have similar energy, but ballistically .30 carbine is much better).

So many guns out there exist because “I can”.

.30 carbine has lower recoil than .223 or .300BO. It also has less muzzle blast than either of those. Smaller magazines and ammo cost is less than .300BO (more than .223 though). An AR-15 in .30 carbine would be easier to shoot than one in .223 for a young kid

Just thinking about some of the upsides. Not saying it is the solution to any problems, but I can see why it could be nice.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back when there was still a glut of Carbine parts , an outfit I don't recall offered an M-1 Carbine in .45 Win Mag . I recall reading positive review in Gun World .

As noted , the appeal of the Carbine is the overall package , as much as the ctg per se .

And the concept of such a package didn't originate there , of a lightweight , short handy carbine with more horsepower than typical pistols, moderate recoil , good for defense , and game arguable up to deer ( at close range with good placement.

Win M92 in .32wcf aka .32-20 ( in " M92 only loads that used to be factory loaded), , Win M1905 & Win M1907 .

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Back when there was still a glut of Carbine parts , an outfit I don't recall offered an M-1 Carbine in .45 Win Mag . I recall reading positive review in Gun World .

As noted , the appeal of the Carbine is the overall package , as much as the ctg per se .

And the concept of such a package didn't originate there , of a lightweight , short handy carbine with more horsepower than typical pistols, moderate recoil , good for defense , and game arguable up to deer ( at close range with good placement.

Win M92 in .32wcf aka .32-20 ( in " M92 only loads that used to be factory loaded), , Win M1905 & Win M1907 .

Don't remember .45 Win Mag but there were commercial .44 mag M1s by the ever awesome Universal. :lol2:

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbines.html

lemmdus

Feb 24, 2015
    I had an IBM Carbine back a few years ago but I had to sell it b/c I needed cash. It was a great gun but after a few shots the barrel shroud would pop off.

I recently bought an Auto-Ordnance M1 carbine and so far so good.

You can find .30 cal ammo for the carbine on Sportsman's Guide. :party29:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Chiappa makes an m1 carbine chambered in 9x19. Not sure what mags it takes.

For the couple states that allow straight wall cartridges for hunting I’d think .30 carbine may be legal. It would be a better option than .357 magnum (they have similar energy, but ballistically .30 carbine is much better).

And from everything I heard, they are not well made firearms.

I seem to recall, that many states hunting laws on deer, were written to prevent the use of the .30 Carbine.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Part of my point was, the 10/22, Ruger .44 Carbine, and Mini-14 are already similar to the M1 Carbine form factor. So you have choices.

And I LIKE the M1 Carbine. I still have my Crossman M1 Carbine BB rifle, that I bought in about 1967.

And if Cabelas puts the 10/22 on sale for 169 again, I will get one just to put in the stock by EABSCO that makes it look like an M1 Carbine.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    And from everything I heard, they are not well made firearms.

I seem to recall, that many states hunting laws on deer, were written to prevent the use of the .30 Carbine.

Don’t know. I haven’t heard one thing or another on the Chiapa M1 carbines.

For deer hunting laws, maybe? When it comes down to it, .30 Carbine is a better deer caliber than .357 mag is from aever gun, let alone a handgun. And most states allow hunting with an appropriate barrel length .357 for deer (pistol or rifle). MD doesn’t allow it with a rifle as you can’t generate enough energy with a .357 mag out of a rifle.

I have ZERO experiencing hunting anything with a .357 or a .30 carbine, but the little I’ve read, a .357 mag rifle is a 50yd deer gun, maybe 75. A .30 carbine would probably be okay for deer to 100 or 125yds.

Neither are particularly good for deer compared to pretty much all other “deer caliber” choices. Like a .30-30, 6.5 grendel, .308, etc, etc

I wouldn’t deer hunt with one unless I had almost no other option.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I also got my old ‘43 Inland to the range yesterday to sight it in with the new rear sight. It used to have a rail that replaced the original flip peep, but the sight was lost to the ages decades before the carbine came in to my possession. So I slapped a repro ladder peep on there, but it was shooting about 10-12” high at 100yds. Pulled the old sight off and put a NOS front sight on. I figured it would be 10-12” low at 100yds by my math and I’d need to do significant filing to get it back to the correct POI. Nope, it was 1” low at 25yds and about 2.5” low at 50.

I only had to take off about .02-.03”, rounded it slightly and reblued it (yes I know it should be black enamel paint. Looks fine blued instead). With PPU it shoots 2.5” 5-shot groups at 100yds and is more or less centered. IMI FMJ seems to shoot about an inch high and left if the PPU POI, but also more like 3” groups. Wolf steel shoots 7” groups at 100yds with massive vertical stringing.

As it turns out, at least right now, with PPU ammo, my M1 Carbine is my most accurate iron sighted gun. Who the F would have thought? My Garand is doing a bit of vertical stringing and getting more like 3.5” groups (though I am shooting 8-round groups with the Garand) with PPU M2 Ball. I am going to investigate a bit and try S&B M2 Ball next if I can get some. SKS is an unknown as I did a fair amount of work to it since I last had it out. Plus I only tried two types of steel cased ammo and NO gun I’ve owned shoots better than 6” 5 shot groups at 100 with any steel ammo I’ve tried. I need to try some of my nicer 7.62x39 brass FMJ and match ammo. Mostly for curiosity sake. I plan to feed it almost all cheap stuff. The most accurate cheap stuff I can find/figure out. Other than I’ll have a box or two of Hornady steel match or something for hunting (uses SST bullets)

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Part of my point was, the 10/22, Ruger .44 Carbine, and Mini-14 are already similar to the M1 Carbine form factor. So you have choices.

And I LIKE the M1 Carbine. I still have my Crossman M1 Carbine BB rifle, that I bought in about 1967.

And if Cabelas puts the 10/22 on sale for 169 again, I will get one just to put in the stock by EABSCO that makes it look like an M1 Carbine.

Ya the Chiappa M1 carbines have a very bad reputation, not sure how they screwed up a blowback 9mm but they did. Id buy one if it was cheap enough as I suspect they can be made work...........No relation whatsoever to a "real" GI or (I guess we need to say GI spec now with Inland and Rockola remaking) carbine.

.30 carbine will take a dear as well as any pistol caliber, where it fails is when you ask it to do what it wasnt designed to do...........function with the same hitting power as a rifle at range. Wouldnt be my choice, with a good deer cartridge I want manageable recoil balanced with enough hitting power to ensure a clean and as humane as possible kill. Around 100 yards .30-30 or 7.62*39 over that .270 or somethign similar. Brush, something heavy like .35 rem.

Talo made a nice 10/22 .22 clone. Bought one a couple years ago. Its a 10/22 it works. If you buy one do it in person, I looked at a half dozen of these at a gunshow and maybe 2 had decent wood (and not fantastic) most had cracks, major dings, chunks etc. http://www.taloinc.com/ruger-firearms/ruger-m1-carbine-1022-21108

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    .30 Carbine is 110 grain at 1990 for 967 ft-lbs

.357 Mag out of a 18" barrel carbine Rem 125 JHP is 125 grains at 2038 FPS for 1153 ft-lbs.

So .357 mag rifle is more muzzle energy than .30 Carbine. Both are basically pistol ranges for deer.

.30-30 is in the range of 160 grains, 2132 FPS for 1615 ft-lbs.

IIRC, some states set the minimum muzzle energy for deer hunting with a rifle at 1250 ft-lbs.

5.56 is 55 grains at 3260 for 1294 ft-lbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom