• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Basic storage needs any online sales not hung up on GI vs no GI. Need 6 to 10.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I just bought a nice plastic one on amazon...$8 add on item.

bddfeca9600a489ad3bd77e76c08c4b5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I just bought a nice plastic one on amazon...$8 add on item.

bddfeca9600a489ad3bd77e76c08c4b5.jpg

Thanks Ill take metal for $9. Plastic can be nice for the hauling boxes but long term greased storage cant beat a GI "type" ammo can.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Oops, didn't see that Walmart one was metal. I've got some old army metal cans from my dad... love them! Bought the plastic one to store sewer connections for my rv thou.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    I concur that for an immediate purchase, without concern for GI or non-GI, Walmart seems to be the best choice. $9 is a fairly good price, and the geographic dispersion of Walmart makes it easy to save on S&H with free shipping to a store, and easy return of items if one shows up in unacceptable condition.

In the past I jumped on the Palmetto State Armoury sale of 12 new blackhawk .50 ammo cans for $100 with free delivery, and otherwise got GI cans at the East Coast Military Vehicle Rally at Ripken stadium in Aberdeen. At this year's (May) East Coast Military Vehicle Rally, the best rate was a vendor charging $8 apiece, or volume discounts down to at or slightly under $7 if purchasing more than 8+.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I always buy ammo cans when I find them cheap. Sportsmans Guide has pretty good sales with free shipping coupons to boot.

My MIL lives in Garrett County and there’s a warehouse store there called Surplus City that has pretty good deals also. I always come home with a stash of cans.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    DRMO auctions, why buy 10 when you can get 100 or more... just kidding..
    Let's see what I've got laying around.. may even have a few "fat 50's"
    Sold a sh*t load a few years ago to members here until someone got "pissed".. end of story...

-Rock

Noahjm13

Jun 24, 2018
    Scrapyards tend to have them some times. I have gotten 6 at one for the cost of the metal... about 8 cents a pound. But it is hit or miss.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I think the metal ones are great when you need in place storage or something to take a serious beating, but if carrying things around or need something that locks, mtm plastic ones are hard to beat.

Plastic .50 cal cans weigh about 4lbs less and have two locking tabs. Metal cans take a much more expensive proprietary lock if you want them secure. Sure, harder to break in to once locked, but frankly neither is all that secure and is more keeping little curious hands out or honest people honest.

I’ve still got young kids and they know better, but it doesn’t mean their friends do. So it all either goes in my safe or ammo goes in locked cans. I do have a couple of metal cans I throw stuff in for general storage and/or because an old ammo can looks cooler (I’ll admit to that).

For price, weight, and stackability I generally do MTM cans or crates. I’ve got my 22lr and 12ga in the medium sized crates. I have a couple of big ones for magazines and miscellaneous ammo/parts where I just don’t have enough to rate it’s own box or overflow because I picked up a case and only have room for 400rnds in a box.

Everything else is in either .50 cal or .30 cal cans depending on how much of the caliber I own or think I’ll own. Like .410 gets a .30 cal can and its more than half empty because I only keep a couple of boxes of 000, a couple boxes of #4 and 3 or 4 boxes of #8 for clays. Same for my .32acp (though more like 3/4 full). My .223/5.56 has two .50 cans organized by general plinking in one and match/hunting ammo in the other. Plus I’ve got a full .30 with M193 IMI and a full .30 with M855 IMI.

My 9mm and now 7.62x39 each have a small crate. And on and on.

I do need new shelves. Not sure I can fit much more on the ikea wooden storage shelves (not book cases) I have right now before they are at risk of breaking. I am sure another 100lbs on each shelf...but I really don’t want to test it.

PS for bulkier stuff and miscellaneous and generally not important spare parts and stuff I hav a couple of big rubber maid bins it goes in. And I’ve got 3 rubber make bins for hunting clothes and gear. Plus of course parka and bibs hanging up

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom