• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    A drop of oil on top of the connector is the most important ....A little oil on the rails and a drop on the barrel and locking lug....that's all I do. I use miltec....its a Glock, runs all day.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I dare say no one here will shoot a pistol enough and use "bad" lube enough (during a lifetime of ownership) to notice any type of degradation. I keep mentioning how 1 of our armorers shot his P229 for 15,000 rounds without cleaning and only lubing. He used what was easily available, mainly militec and CLP, and it ran like a top. He only stopped at 15k because he just got tired of shooting it without cleaning it.
    Most people will never shoot 15k rounds out of 1 pistol, let alone through all of their pistols in a whole lifetime.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Glock: Factory Specifation Lubricant

attachment.php

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    I dare say no one here will shoot a pistol enough and use "bad" lube enough (during a lifetime of ownership) to notice any type of degradation. I keep mentioning how 1 of our armorers shot his P229 for 15,000 rounds without cleaning and only lubing. He used what was easily available, mainly militec and CLP, and it ran like a top. He only stopped at 15k because he just got tired of shooting it without cleaning it.
    Most people will never shoot 15k rounds out of 1 pistol, let alone through all of their pistols in a whole lifetime.

why do you have to use reason and logic to quiet down the OCD pissing match of lubing up the ole semi auto?

the entertainment value with the discussion of lubrication materials and methods just can't be beat. and it helps weed out the more passive agressive and easily butt hurt "members".

my question is how dirty was the 15k round pistol? like hands carbon black from just handling it dirty? staining your clothes through your holster dirty?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    why do you have to use reason and logic to quiet down the OCD pissing match of lubing up the ole semi auto?

the entertainment value with the discussion of lubrication materials and methods just can't be beat. and it helps weed out the more passive agressive and easily butt hurt "members".

my question is how dirty was the 15k round pistol? like hands carbon black from just handling it dirty? staining your clothes through your holster dirty?

Sludge dirty. I saw it at different times but not the very end. Granted he wiped the outside down, but didn't disassemble and clean it. We felt sad and let down when we heard he decided to stop. "Did you hear? Barry cleaned the pistol". It was a sad day my friend LOL He stopped because he didn't see that anything significant would happen in the near future.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Cool tidbit, blaster. I've heard of such things. My Essex frame dedicated to a Ceiner 22 conversion unit many times only gets the slide pulled off, rails and lock work lubed, upper reinstalled then then breechface and barrel points lubed, sometimes for several thousands of rounds. Cleaning comes later.

I have noticed differences in lubes when using heterogeneous components in 22 LR conversions (steel frame/aliminum slide). There is a difference between number of rounds to failure in those tempermental little beasts.

I have also noticed rust protection differences when cold bluing. There are lubes, protectants and combos.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    When I was shooting serious USPSA, I shot around 750 rounds per week.

I did not clean or even lube the pistol until a big match. So went at least 10K rounds without problems. IIRC I used Wilson Combat grease on the slide rails.

Piscator

Sep 2, 2010
    Columbia Md
    I was taught that if it slides, it should be greased, if it rotates, it should be oiled.
    That said, any lube is better than none and all the many different experiences shared here certainly prove that. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    My STI 2011 isn't a fan of grease. It works but it is noticeably slower to cycle. Light oil and it runs like a champ.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I didn't own them, or shot all the rounds myself, but U was intimately aquainted with a fleet of revolvers I conservatively estimated to be well north of 50k rounds each .

( Yes, they were regularly cleaned, if only due to leading from crap commercial reloads . Lubed with generic "gun oil" from the pre- high tech era . But I detail striped enough of them to know wear points, and patterns of wear for various points of the life cycle . And it is enlightening how long a Kframe will remain accurate and reliable . )

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    I use Ballistol to clean and lube everything I own. No problems and everything runs great.

KYtoMD

Mar 23, 2017
    MD
    I'm not a big believer in fancy gun lubricants, so I mainly use Mobil 1 full synthetic motor oil. It works great in my handguns and ARs.

If you think about it, ExxonMobil and the other oil giants spend billions on research every year to develop motor oils which can stand up the heat inside an engine and also cling to metal surfaces for good cold-start protection. I'm hesitant to believe that a small gun oil manufacturer can easily match that.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    At least one brand name Gun Oil is 10-30 synthetic motor oil repackaged in 2oz bottles . Admittedly those 2oz bottles are handy sized for shooting bags, and have tips suitable for lubing guns.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Grease is used sparingly on some internals. My agency armorers never had us grease slide/rails. I have hundreds of thousands of rounds on two P229s over 15 years. I find it funny the rituals people believe in on lubing pistols. Slather any crap on the rails/slide and shoot.

Ditto. While I swear by Eezox I often use whatever is on my bench, at least in the summer. Only one part of my STI racegun gets grease and that was because the builder said to. Otherwise I never use the stuff on a firearm. While grease stays put it also gums up quicker than oil. So if you like cleaning your firearms all the time be my guest. As for me its a chore so I only do it when needed like before some matches.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Ditto. While I swear by Eezox I often use whatever is on my bench, at least in the summer. Only one part of my STI racegun gets grease and that was because the builder said to. Otherwise I never use the stuff on a firearm. While grease stays put it also gums up quicker than oil. So if you like cleaning your firearms all the time be my guest. As for me its a chore so I only do it when needed like before some matches.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky

At 15K I wonder if there was appreciable bore and throat wear?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    from a Wilson dvd i watched a while back, believe he said to use oil unless there are signs of wear and then to use lube in those spots. myself i pretty much just oil everything, using wilson gun oil for the most part. i pretty much clean my guns after each match, so oil doesn't sit around or get worn out or off to make much of a difference i think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom