• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Is it possible? The person in question isn't here on active duty, just a civilian who hasn't gotten around to changing their license. They can prove residency with a copy of their lease, utility bills, etc. What say you?

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    If they can prove residency, they just need to go to the DMV and get their MD license. Probably easier than getting a dealer to sell them a regulated weapon going through all that trouble, not to mention the fact that it still has to go through MSP, who may not like the fact that the person hasn't gotten their license, which you're supposed to do w/in 45 days of moving into the state. I had a similar situation when I bought my first gun, and I just got my license taken care of THEN bought the gun.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    They probably need to have an MD ID of some kind... legally they may not (I would have to re-read the statute) but this is one of those things that I think most FFL's would shy away from. They need to have a valid ID, doesn't have to be a MD ID in order to prove residency. There are people who don't drive, who have nothing but a birth cert, SS card, and a passport.

Mark

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Is it possible? The person in question isn't here on active duty, just a civilian who hasn't gotten around to changing their license. They can prove residency with a copy of their lease, utility bills, etc. What say you?

Yes, they will need an acceptable picture ID to prove who they are and also some other documentation to prove residency - utility bills, rental/lease statements, etc.. Call around to different dealers to see what they say. And YES it is legal as long as they are residing in MD. when the purchase is made.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    They probably need to have an MD ID of some kind... legally they may not (I would have to re-read the statute) but this is one of those things that I think most FFL's would shy away from. They need to have a valid ID, doesn't have to be a MD ID in order to prove residency. There are people who don't drive, who have nothing but a birth cert, SS card, and a passport.
    This. Probably legal, but good luck finding a dealer who will play ball.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Yeah, you have to have the license of the state your buying the regulated gun in unless your a military active duty person.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Yeah, you have to have the license of the state your buying the regulated gun in unless your a military active duty person.

Not about 8 or 9 years ago you didn't.

After I moved to MD when I finished college, I bought my first three or four pistols on a NY drivers license and proof of MD residency. This was at both Continental and a shop that I forget the name of in North East.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Acceptable forms of identification

We have received many questions concerning the types of documentation necessary to establish the residency of an alien purchaser. Many licensees have asked ATF whether the required photo identification provides adequate
    proof of residency where an alien firearms purchaser obtained the identification document from a State within 90 days of the sale of the firearm. It is ATF’s position that while such a document satisfies the photo identification requirement, it is not sufficient to meet the separater equirement that the purchaser establish that he or she has resided in a State for at least 90 days.

ATF understands that not every alien firearms purchaser will be able to provide utility bills or a lease agreement in his or her own name. Other
    forms of documentation will be considered acceptable, as long as such documentation shows “the residence address of the purchaser and establishes that the purchaser has resided at that address for a period of at least 90 days.

Acceptable forms of documentation include:
    • Lease agreements covering the relevant
    • time period
    • Utility bills
    • Credit card statements
    • Postmarked United States mail addressed to the purchaser at his or her residence (e.g., magazine subscriptions)
    • Pay stubs or other documentation from the purchaser’s place of employment showing the residence address

Licensees who have questions concerning the sufficiency of specific forms of documentation should contact the Firearms and Explosives Operations Branch at (202) 927-8310.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/newsletters/ffl/ffl-newsletter-1997-08.pdf

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV

Inigoes: Is the point being made here that the acceptable forms of residency stated above (like utility bills, lease agreements, etc.) in the ATF publication not only apply to aliens, but also apply to US citizens that reside in a state,say, MD, but don't have a driver's license or St. Photo ID from the state of MD? Translating, other forms of ID are acceptable besides just a driver's license/photo ID for the purchase of regulated firearms.
    Do I understand this correctly?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Inigoes: Is the point being made here that the acceptable forms of residency stated above (like utility bills, lease agreements, etc.) in the ATF publication not only apply to aliens, but also apply to US citizens that reside in a state,say, MD, but don't have a driver's license or St. Photo ID from the state of MD? Translating, other forms of ID are accepable besides just a driver's license/photo ID for the purchase of regulated firearms.
    Do I understand this correctly?

The point was, alternative forms of ID that is allowed.

Goldengoose

Oct 15, 2009
    Fawn Grove, Pennnsylvania
    You have about a 25% chance of it going through MSP without a Maryland's diver's license, I wouldn't even try until you get your Maryland License. That is the main ID they are looking for, or Maryland picture ID from the MVA. Your in Maryland and MSP control the approval process when it comes to which ID they accept....I can count on one hand the number of people that have done it and some had to appeal it after they where disapproved.

XRider

Aug 9, 2010
    Surfside Beach SC
    Here is another wrinkle to this question. If the following (taken from this thread http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=46795 ) is true then, if I also own a home in another state, whenever I am staying there I should be considered a resident and therefore eligible to purchase a handgun in that state. Since you can no longer get valid licenses from multiple states how could a license be required ID?

State of residence. The State in which
    an individual resides. An individual resides
    in a State if he or she is present in a State
    with the intention of making a home in that
    State. If an individual is on active duty as a
    member of the Armed Forces, the individual's
    State of residence is the State in
    which his or her permanent duty station is
    located. An alien who is legally in the
    United States shall be considered to be a
    resident of a State only if the alien is residing
    in the State and has resided in the
    State for a period of at least 90 days prior
    to the date of sale or delivery of a firearm.
    The following are examples that illustrate
    this definition:

Example 1. A maintains a home in
    State X. A travels to State Y on a hunting,
    fishing, business, or other type of trip. A
    does not become a resident of State Y by
    reason of such trip.

Example 2. A is a U.S. citizen and
    maintains a home in State X and a home
    in State Y. A resides in State X except for
    weekends or the summer months of the
    year and in State Y for the weekends or
    the summer months of the year. During
    the time that A actually resides in State X,
    A is a resident of State X, and during the
    time that A actually resides in State Y, A is
    a resident of State Y.

Home ownership in each state is the important factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom