• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pumperp5

Feb 19, 2010
    Upperco
    Got another question for you. Since Baltimore County is a shotgun only hunting county, and ground hogs are not a regulated critter. Is it ok to shoot ground hogs in Balt. Co. with a rifle? I looked everwhere I could and wasnt able to find any info about this. If anyone knows please let me know. Thanks.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    From what I understand it is not a shotgun only hunting county for game other than deer except for within the Metropolitan District.

§ 17-2-101. DISCHARGING FIREARM OR WEAPON IN METROPOLITAN DISTRICT.

(a) Prohibition. Except as provided in subsection (c) of this section, a person may not fire or discharge a crossbow, pistol, air pistol, gas-propelled pistol, rifle, air rifle, gas-propelled rifle, or shotgun within:

(1) The limits of the metropolitan district of the county;

(2) A nondistrict enclave within the metropolitan district; or

(3) An appendage attached to the metropolitan district.

(b) Duty to post metropolitan district. The Police Department shall post in the county courthouse and in every police station and substation throughout the county, accurate maps designating the locations of the boundary lines of the metropolitan district established according to the Code.

(c) Exception. This section does not prohibit:

(1) A licensed hunter from discharging a shotgun, properly hunting in season using a shotgun that contains no heavier than No. 2 shot; or

(2) A person from discharging or firing a crossbow, pistol, air pistol, gas-propelled pistol, rifle, air rifle, gas-propelled rifle, or shotgun:

(i) On a permanently located, properly posted, and bona fide target range, the location of which has been filed with the Police Department;

(ii) When reasonably necessary for the defense of life or property; or

(iii) As part of a military occasion when the discharge is done under the orders of a commanding officer.
    http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Maryland/baltimore_co/baltimorecountycode?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:baltimoreco_md
    From what I understand and IIRC, the metropolitan district is basically any area which uses the city of Baltimore sewer system.
    Not sure if this conflicts with state preemption though,

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    I don't know anything about Baltimore County rules, sorry. But I've been looking for some groudhogs to show themselves with these warm days. :innocent0

Check with the DNR or county offices (maybe Agr. types). I would have to believe it would be OK in the rural parts for the use of a rifle, esp. rimfire. My .17 HMR really does the trick. :thumbsup:

pumperp5

Feb 19, 2010
    Upperco
    I don't know anything about Baltimore County rules, sorry. But I've been looking for some groudhogs to show themselves with these warm days. :innocent0

Check with the DNR or county offices (maybe Agr. types). I would have to believe it would be OK in the rural parts for the use of a rifle, esp. rimfire. My .17 HMR really does the trick. :thumbsup:

Oh yeah, my .17 does a great job on hogs. But, I have a new ar-15 that has some ground hog written all over it.

pumperp5

Feb 19, 2010
    Upperco
    I just sent an email to the DNR asking for some info on this. We'll see what they say and I'll surely post it for you.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    I just sent an email to the DNR asking for some info on this. We'll see what they say and I'll surely post it for you.
    Guide to Hunting and Trapping 2009-2010
    http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/pdfs/2009_2010_MDHuntGuide.pdf

Page 14.
    Unprotected mammal- nutria, woodchuck.

Page 18.
    Note: The woodchuck and nutria are classified as “unprotected
    mammals.” As such, a hunting license is not required to hunt
    woodchucks and nutria except in Baltimore and Frederick Counties.
    Woodchucks and nutria may be hunted throughout the year,
    including on Sundays. Hunters must wear fluorescent orange while
    hunting woodchucks. All legal hunting devices may be used to hunt
    woodchucks and nutria.
    Rifles may be used to hunt forest game (except turkey during the
    spring season), upland game (except dove and woodcock), crow,
    nutria, woodchuck and certain furbearing species.
    Muzzleloading rifles and shotguns may be used to hunt forest
    game, upland game (shotgun only for dove and woodcock),
    coyote, fisher, fox, nutria, opossum, raccoon, skunk, and
    woodchuck. Muzzleloading shotguns, with non-toxic shot
    only, may be used to hunt waterfowl, coots, rails, and snipe.
    Muzzleloading rifles may not be used to hunt turkey during the
    spring season.

Page 18-19.
    Modern and muzzleloading handguns may be used to hunt forest
    game (handgun hunting for turkey only during the fall season),
    upland game (except dove and woodcock), coyote, fisher, fox,
    nutria, opossum, raccoon, skunk, and woodchuck.

Page 19.
    Vertical bows (compound, recurve, or straight limb) may be
    used to hunt nutria, woodchucks, and all game birds and game
    mammals, including migratory game birds, with the exception of
    beaver, long-tailed weasel, mink, muskrat, and river otter.

:) :thumbsup:

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Id wait until june, unless you're killing them to get rid of them, as they havent given birth yet and will within the next few weeks and once the first of june roles around the babies are old enough to be out on their own.

J.Brown

Apr 3, 2008
    Hampstead
    i have shot many a ground hog in B-more county with a rifle. I have had the rifle conversation with a NRP officer (he stopped to see how we were doing). shot gun applies to deer season when all the yuppi's are in the woods.

as for orange, ive never heard/seen that, nore did the NRP mention it o it must be kinda new

Oliveralan

Nov 18, 2009
    McLean, Virginia
    im in Va been looking for some place to shoot ground hogs... any of you guys got some long range spots? I got a 300 win mag with 210 VLDs just begging to send some ground hogs into orbit. :party29:

pumperp5

Feb 19, 2010
    Upperco
    Heres what I got from DNR;

Thank you for contacting the Maryland Department of Natural Resources.

Woodchuck is classified as an unprotected mammal. A person may hunt woodchucks throughout the year. A person that is hunting woodchucks in Baltimore and Frederick Counties are required to purchase a hunting license. In addition, hunters must wear fluorescent orange while hunting woodchucks. All legal hunting devices including rifles may be used to hunt woodchucks in Baltimore County. This information is located on page 18 of the 2009-2010 Maryland Guide to Hunting and Trapping. Also, it is available online at http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/geninfo.asp .

Sincerely,

Tracey M. Spencer

Assistant to the Director,

Wildlife and Heritage Service

tspencer@dnr.state.md.us

Office: (410) 260-8564

shadow116

2nd Class Citizen
    Feb 28, 2008
    Emmitsburg
    As great as Frederick county is on alot of things, having to have a license to hunt groundhogs is about stupid. I know I already have a license for my other hunting, but I still hate it. I cannot remember how many times I have been out and remembered that I needed my license. Just my 2 cents

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    As great as Frederick county is on alot of things, having to have a license to hunt groundhogs is about stupid. I know I already have a license for my other hunting, but I still hate it. I cannot remember how many times I have been out and remembered that I needed my license. Just my 2 cents

Makes me wonder if any hunting license will work. There is a MD six dollar hunting license that one does not need a hunter safety course to get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom