• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HailVon

Jan 1, 2015
    Northern Indiana
    Im thinking about maybe buying one with my tax returns, but I was wondering if they're any good for the hefty price tag?

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    It's a 5.56 AK... perceived value depends on why you are buying one.

Compared to an AR, get the AR. Much cheaper mags and better accuracy.

If owning an AK that shares ammo with you AR is important, its checks that box. Mags are expensive.

Otherwise these are fine AKs, just like any Bulgarian with the newer folding poly stock.

HailVon

Jan 1, 2015
    Northern Indiana
    It's a 5.56 AK... perceived value depends on why you are buying one.

Compared to an AR, get the AR. Much cheaper mags and better accuracy.

If owning an AK that shares ammo with you AR is important, its checks that box. Mags are expensive.

Otherwise these are fine AKs, just like any Bulgarian with the newer folding poly stock.
    Thanks for responding and i was thinking about either getting that or some other Ak74 variant or I was going to get a 20in Ar because I have the ammo and mags for it

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I might find one used or something

Even used, they are 4 times the cost of an AR15 mag.

But don't let that stop ya. If that's the firearm you want, I would always recommend you get what you want. You only live once, now is the time to buy what you want, not what you need.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008

themoose06

Sep 11, 2016
    Great gun. Mags will be difficult to find at a decent price.

Personally, this reason alone is ultimately why I decided not to buy one. Just throwing this out there, have you considered an AR10? Thats what I just bought with my tax returns. Its a lot of fun. If you want something in 5.56 I would just get the AR. If you want a 5.56 AK that uses cheap mags, buy a Zastava M90NP. Uses regular AR pmags, usgi mags, etc. I’ve got one that I’ve put around 1,000 rounds through.

HailVon

Jan 1, 2015
    Northern Indiana
    Even used, they are 4 times the cost of an AR15 mag.

But don't let that stop ya. If that's the firearm you want, I would always recommend you get what you want. You only live once, now is the time to buy what you want, not what you need.

Its just a pain to decide whether i want that or a 20in ar15 because I really like both

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Its just a pain to decide whether i want that or a 20in ar15 because I really like both

The answer is both. Reality is we have been spoiled by cheap AR and 7.62*39 AK type rifle mags by pure market volume. That's not reality for the bulk of the firearm market. Its not reality for the rest. The SLR mags don't look bad when you compare them to mags for Mini14s, Glocks, etc. Sure more expensive but durable. If you like the gun get it and just put aside enough money to get 6 or so mags (purchased legally out of state) upfront. Just part of the cost of ownership.

If you truly are limited on funds buy the AR, a 12 pack of PMAGs and a case of ammo you will have almost as much fun at the range and have an easy to modify and upgrade rifle over time. Or buy the SLR if you really want an AK style gun before they dry up and get an AR receiver for a later build.

wailer

Oct 2, 2008
    Largo
    The answer is both. Reality is we have been spoiled by cheap AR and 7.62*39 AK type rifle mags by pure market volume. That's not reality for the bulk of the firearm market. Its not reality for the rest. The SLR mags don't look bad when you compare them to mags for Mini14s, Glocks, etc. Sure more expensive but durable. If you like the gun get it and just put aside enough money to get 6 or so mags (purchased legally out of state) upfront. Just part of the cost of ownership.

If you truly are limited on funds buy the AR, a 12 pack of PMAGs and a case of ammo you will have almost as much fun at the range and have an easy to modify and upgrade rifle over time. Or buy the SLR if you really want an AK style gun before they dry up and get an AR receiver for a later build.

This is good advice, I have a 106 and couldn't be happier.

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    Last year KVAR and their dealers had SLR106URs on sale. I think they were around $650. I couldn't resist.

Looks like they are back on sale, $699...out of stock...
    http://www.k-var.com/slr-106ur-pistol-556x45-caliber-bulgarian-receiver-with-side-rail-muzzle-break

$799 in stock.
    http://www.k-var.com/slr-106ur-pist...ith-sig-sauersstabilizing-brace-wood-handguar

I drilled, filed, and installed the rear 4.5mm folding latch. Didn't do the front part.

Polish Beryl Archer mags are starting to flow in. If I can find the site I will send you a PM. I like them much better than the Bulgy ((10)) with respect to fit and operation, and a cheaper.

This picture shows the muzzle brake for a suppressor which tames the blast a lot.

HailVon

Jan 1, 2015
    Northern Indiana
    Last year KVAR and their dealers had SLR106URs on sale. I think they were around $650. I couldn't resist.

Looks like they are back on sale, $699...out of stock...
    http://www.k-var.com/slr-106ur-pistol-556x45-caliber-bulgarian-receiver-with-side-rail-muzzle-break

$799 in stock.
    http://www.k-var.com/slr-106ur-pist...ith-sig-sauersstabilizing-brace-wood-handguar

I drilled, filed, and installed the rear 4.5mm folding latch. Didn't do the front part.

Polish Beryl Archer mags are starting to flow in. If I can find the site I will send you a PM. I like them much better than the Bulgy ((10)) with respect to fit and operation, and a cheaper.

This picture shows the muzzle brake for a suppressor which tames the blast a lot.

The pistols pretty sick but I like the rifle one better

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Mags are expensive but you really can't compare a circle 10 mag to a pmag. Pmags /usgi mags are throw away items, circle 10 mags are built to last. In my opinion well worth the $45

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom