• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    What is the MD law concerning completing an 80% pistol lower
    I have seen that if you make a 80% ar15 it must be made with a heavy barrel of you would be considered making a banned assault rifle, but I have not seen anything about handguns.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    What is the MD law concerning completing an 80% pistol lower
    I have seen that if you make a 80% ar15 it must be made with a heavy barrel of you would be considered making a banned assault rifle, but I have not seen anything about handguns.

An AR pistol is not subject to those rules.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I have seen glock 19 and glock 17 as well as 1911 80% lowers

I know it is perfectly legal on a federal level as long as the owner does the work them. Self and not sell it.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have seen glock 19 and glock 17 as well as 1911 80% lowers

I know it is perfectly legal on a federal level as long as the owner does the work them. Self and not sell it.

Exactly. Same rules apply to an AR pistol.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You MAY sell it.

You cannot make it for the purpose of selling it.

I make one, later I decide I do not want it, I can sell it.

I make one, because you want to buy it, we are both in trouble.

poopDOLLA

Jun 16, 2017
    *someone i know* just completed a Glock 19 from an 80% frame and has had no luck determining the state laws about it. He understands it is perfectly legal on the federal level but has had no success figuring out what, if anything, needs to be done for it in MD. Would he need an HQL? HQLs are required to buy or receive a handgun post 10/13. He didnt buy or receive it, he manufactured it. Does he need to have it serialized and registered? All of this is incredibly unclear and he doesn't like the idea of walking into a state police barracks asking these questions with the red flags it could cause and the potential hassle that could bring.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    *someone i know* just completed a Glock 19 from an 80% frame and has had no luck determining the state laws about it. He understands it is perfectly legal on the federal level but has had no success figuring out what, if anything, needs to be done for it in MD. Would he need an HQL? HQLs are required to buy or receive a handgun post 10/13. He didnt buy or receive it, he manufactured it. Does he need to have it serialized and registered? All of this is incredibly unclear and he doesn't like the idea of walking into a state police barracks asking these questions with the red flags it could cause and the potential hassle that could bring.

He needn’t do a thing other than not be prohibited from owning firearms. No HQL, no registration, no fees, no anything.

Relax and enjoy.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    You do not need a hql to but a c&r pistol.
    But if you buy in state from another person you have to go trough FFL or state police.
    I find it strange that no one can find out one way or another about them. But sometimes like c&r transfer is spelled out.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    He needn’t do a thing other than not be prohibited from owning firearms. No HQL, no registration, no fees, no anything.

Relax and enjoy.

Wonder how a police officer will act if they should encounter a person with a home made pistol be with no s/n for them to run.

Will they try and arrest you for having a gun with altered s/n for something like that.

I know most police officers don't know the law all that well. I had one tell me I can't hunt with a handgun and he would arrest me if he saw me carrying one in the woods. I had to show him the hunting regulations. He learned something new that day.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Wonder how a police officer will act if they should encounter a person with a home made pistol be with no s/n for them to run.

Will they try and arrest you for having a gun with altered s/n for something like that.

I know most police officers don't know the law all that well. I had one tell me I can't hunt with a handgun and he would arrest me if he saw me carrying one in the woods. I had to show him the hunting regulations. He learned something new that day.

You’re not a criminal for lawfully exercising your rights. You can make your own firearms. MD doesn’t regulate that other than to say that you cannot make firearms that are banned in the state (“assault pistols”,”assault weapons”). The homemade firearm belongs to the maker and no one else.

You can’t alter a serial number that never existed and there’s no requirement that you have one. Why volunteer that information?

poopDOLLA

Jun 16, 2017

Relax and enjoy.

Very good to know, thank you!

I know you addressed this below, however I still have to wonder how a situation like being pulled over on the way to the range would go down. I could be wrong but I would imagine not many Officers have encountered homemade handguns of the quality that are out there right now (and dont know/believe it is legal). They look identical to one purchased in a store. I cant see a stop where they find a glock 19 with no serial number and a driver claiming he manufactured it himself going very smoothly. Hopefully I am wrong or just never find out.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You’re not a criminal for lawfully exercising your rights. You can make your own firearms. MD doesn’t regulate that other than to say that you cannot make firearms that are banned in the state (“assault pistols”,”assault weapons”). The homemade firearm belongs to the maker and no one else.

You can’t alter a serial number that never existed and there’s no requirement that you have one. Why volunteer that information?
    While no law was broken, I wouldn’t be surprised to hear of problems surrounding a pistol with no markings. I have a few.

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    You do not need a hql to but a c&r pistol.
    But if you buy in state from another person you have to go trough FFL or state police.
    I find it strange that no one can find out one way or another about them. But sometimes like c&r transfer is spelled out.

What do you mean that 'no one can find out one way or another'?

I'm not sure what is left unanswered in terms of what is legal... Seems that most of the concern is about what happens if someone find out about your (perfectly legal) handgun being transported legally... Well... It would be legal.

I can't lose sleep over what cop might not know what laws.

Cheers

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I fully understand that you can't alter a serial number that never existed. But for the police officer on the street may not get that it never had one nor needs one. All he/ she would see s a pistol with out a s/n and sure first thing they think would be that it was removed. For us in the fire arm culture a home made 80% isn't that unheard of, but for a police officer that isn't as familiar with all the gun laws that they should be wouldn't know what they are looking at.

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    I fully understand that you can't alter a serial number that never existed. But for the police officer on the street may not get that it never had one nor needs one. All he/ she would see s a pistol with out a s/n and sure first thing they think would be that it was removed. For us in the fire arm culture a home made 80% isn't that unheard of, but for a police officer that isn't as familiar with all the gun laws that they should be wouldn't know what they are looking at.
    Following the laws is your part of the deal. Be sure it is being transported legally... In which case it certainly isn't going to be visible to anyone who isn't opening things up and looking inside. No side of the road police interaction should require his awareness of your perfectly legal gun. If that side of the road cop somehow finds some reason to search your vehicle and finds it, then makes an issue... Seems like after you've done your part, you just have to go forward and hope you don't have to be part of someone's incomplete education on gun laws.

I appreciate your being careful. I just hope it wouldn't keep you from packing up and going to the range whenever you damn well feel like it...

Cheers

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    My issue isn't with transport it to and from the range.
    I collect and actually use my guns.

I love hunting with my handguns and am quite good with them when hunting.

I mostly hunt with my contender and encore handguns. But at times I take more traditional hand guns with me.

When I had my hunting lease. Any time I was on the property I would have a handgun with me because part of the deal with me hunting was to kill as many predators as I could. The land owner raised ducks and they would devastate his birds.
    This. Year I am back to public land because the land owner list the farm to the bank and it was sold off. I still hunt small game on public land

My concern is more dealing with the police and dnr while hunting.smal game

Woody

Oct 27, 2017
    My issue isn't with transport it to and from the range.
    I collect and actually use my guns.

I love hunting with my handguns and am quite good with them when hunting.

I mostly hunt with my contender and encore handguns. But at times I take more traditional hand guns with me.

When I had my hunting lease. Any time I was on the property I would have a handgun with me because part of the deal with me hunting was to kill as many predators as I could. The land owner raised ducks and they would devastate his birds.
    This. Year I am back to public land because the land owner list the farm to the bank and it was sold off. I still hunt small game on public land

My concern is more dealing with the police and dnr while hunting.smal game
    Then change my comment to where it said I hope it doesn't keep you from packing up and going to the range, to simply saying I hope it doesn't keep you from using your 100% legal guns anywhere any traditionally manufactured/numbered gun would be legal. There is no legal distinction regarding use.

The point is... You are abiding by the law. Use your guns.

Cheers

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    If it really bothers you, there are two choices: 1) Give the pistol a serial number. 2) Get a different pistol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom