Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 21st, 2017, 10:32 PM #81
Mark75H's Avatar
Mark75H Mark75H is offline
Outboard boat racing guy
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Outside the Gates
Posts: 10,446
Send a message via AIM to Mark75H
Mark75H Mark75H is offline
Outboard boat racing guy
Mark75H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Outside the Gates
Posts: 10,446
Send a message via AIM to Mark75H
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
It would probably be the Asst AG assigned to MSP. At least it would settle the issue.
Other AAG's have been assigned such work in the past. I wouldn't say "probably" at all
__________________
2A ... Federal Preemption

Thus, the only inquiry that this Court should conduct is to determine whether the firearms prohibited by the Act are protected by the Second Amendment. Because they are, the Act is simply unconstitutional.
Mark75H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 12:00 AM #82
rbird7282's Avatar
rbird7282 rbird7282 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5,821
rbird7282 rbird7282 is online now
Senior Member
rbird7282's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdRcn View Post
You know nothing about me and obviously have no knowledge of my efforts in fighting for your rights in this state since WAY before you decided to join us and help. Since you don't know me I will tell you a little about me, I have no problem having discussion with someone especially when they have as much "cred" as swinokur does and he is misinforming people instead of stating that it is in his opinion. Saying IANAL and then giving an interpretation of the law doesn't give you a pass when folks like yourself are going to read threads like this and get arrested for doing something that is against the law.



I have had this and the other laws that pertain to the handgun statutes interpreted by lawyers, a few of them actually, for the classes I give and they have interpreted it exactly as I have stated. They are criminal defense attorneys also, in case you were wondering and they also happen to specialize in the 2A laws here in Maryland. Unlike other folks on this forum that post things and have nothing more but what their buddy told them or a belief that they are right, I have actually consulted legal professionals practicing law in my state. I do this so that when I teach this in my classes, I am giving students the best possible information I can give them to keep them from losing their 2A rights in a socialist state like this one.



As far as being an industry partner goes, look at the last class I posted prior to making the comment. I do not rely on the members of this forum to populate my classes for one and I would hope that, unlike yourself, they would appreciate me sharing the knowledge I have from actual lawyers and not the guy at the gun shop. If you don't appreciate that then I'm sorry and you should follow their advise and stop wherever you want and not worry about it and so should everyone else that wants to be the test case for the law and what the law makers intent was.



Short of that, I am who I am and I say what I think, sorry if you didn't like it but it won't be stopping anytime soon.


Swinokur said he's not an attorney and is stating his opinion. You are doing the exact same thing but it's different because you believe you're right. Just because you've spoken to lawyers about it means nothing. They will have differing opinions based upon their interpretation of the law. In the meantime, I'll stop for gas on the way home from the range and not worry about it. To each his own.
Do the lawyers you spoke with know of any cases in MD where someone was charged and convicted for illegal transport ONLY due to stopping to or from the range, gunshop, etc?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rbird7282 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 02:33 AM #83
Biggfoot44 Biggfoot44 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 16,846
Biggfoot44 Biggfoot44 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 16,846
Our conversational frustration aside , I don't think this is a good one to go poking the bear with a stick .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2017, 07:26 AM #84
swinokur's Avatar
swinokur swinokur is offline
In a State of Denial
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Gulag Montgomery
Posts: 43,600
swinokur swinokur is offline
In a State of Denial
swinokur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Gulag Montgomery
Posts: 43,600
Upon reflection, I agree. As was pointed out, we can pretty much conclude what an AG opinion would be.

Best to leave it alone and do what you feel comfortable with.
__________________

Last edited by swinokur; December 22nd, 2017 at 08:31 AM.
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2017, 12:23 PM #85
3rdRcn's Avatar
3rdRcn 3rdRcn is offline


Tier1 Short Bus Door Gnr
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Harford County
Posts: 8,890
Images: 3
3rdRcn 3rdRcn is offline


Tier1 Short Bus Door Gnr
3rdRcn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Harford County
Posts: 8,890
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
Upon reflection, I agree. As was pointed out, we can pretty much conclude what an AG opinion would be.

Best to leave it alone and do what you feel comfortable with.
First, for those that think I was giving my opinion, that is not nor was not the case. The opinion I was giving was that of not one, not two, but three separate criminal defense attorneys that practice this type of law here in Maryland and do it for a living. I would prefer not to become a Frosh test case but if that's what you want to do then feel free to do so. Don't get butt hurt because your opinions are not in line with multiple attorneys and somehow you think yours are correct and theirs aren't. I'm going with theirs and we'll see how it works out for you should you get stopped, hope it doesn't cause you to loose everything you own, including your 2A rights trying to find out if YOUR opinion is correct.

As I stated in a previous post, which was not stated to be an opinion and was being stated as fact. If you want to give an opinion then by all means do so, but please make it clear for those that are less educated that it is YOUR opinion and don't think that because you post IANAL that exonerates you from anyone having issue with what you are saying.

I absolutely agree with not poking the bear on this issue and everyone please proceed with caution when traveling to and from authorized places with firearms in your vehicles.
3rdRcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2017, 12:56 PM #86
swinokur's Avatar
swinokur swinokur is offline
In a State of Denial
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Gulag Montgomery
Posts: 43,600
swinokur swinokur is offline
In a State of Denial
swinokur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Gulag Montgomery
Posts: 43,600
An opinion, even a legal one, is still an opinion, not a fact, no matter how much you claim to the contrary. The only way this is decided is if a court gives a ruling. Then by stare decisis that becomes the controlling precedent.

The fact you claim was more opinions, even if from lawyers.

You are entitled to your own opinion.

You are not entitled to your own facts

IANAL
__________________
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2017, 01:05 PM #87
swinokur's Avatar
swinokur swinokur is offline
In a State of Denial
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Gulag Montgomery
Posts: 43,600
swinokur swinokur is offline
In a State of Denial
swinokur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Gulag Montgomery
Posts: 43,600
I think this has been beaten to death.

So people should do what they feel comfortable with.

Me, if I need gas or a sammy, I'm stopping along my route of travel

__________________
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2017, 05:20 PM #88
3rdRcn's Avatar
3rdRcn 3rdRcn is offline


Tier1 Short Bus Door Gnr
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Harford County
Posts: 8,890
Images: 3
3rdRcn 3rdRcn is offline


Tier1 Short Bus Door Gnr
3rdRcn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Harford County
Posts: 8,890
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
An opinion, even a legal one, is still an opinion, not a fact, no matter how much you claim to the contrary. The only way this is decided is if a court gives a ruling. Then by stare decisis that becomes the controlling precedent.

The fact you claim was more opinions, even if from lawyers.

You are entitled to your own opinion.

You are not entitled to your own facts

IANAL
Again you miss the point of my statement.
3rdRcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2017, 05:21 PM #89
3rdRcn's Avatar
3rdRcn 3rdRcn is offline


Tier1 Short Bus Door Gnr
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Harford County
Posts: 8,890
Images: 3
3rdRcn 3rdRcn is offline


Tier1 Short Bus Door Gnr
3rdRcn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Harford County
Posts: 8,890
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
I think this has been beaten to death.

So people should do what they feel comfortable with.

Me, if I need gas or a sammy, I'm stopping along my route of travel

Rock on!!
3rdRcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2017, 07:40 PM #90
Biggfoot44 Biggfoot44 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 16,846
Biggfoot44 Biggfoot44 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 16,846
Until there is actual case law regarding a highly vague Statute , we are left with spirited debating within ourselves .

I'm NOT Volunteering to be a test case.

Even IF we had willing volunteers to be test cases , this isn't in my opinion the best place to expend them .

I have frequently pointed out the subject is actually 5 different conversations . There is inherently conflict between convo #1 & convo #5 .

I keep telling myself I'll walk away from this online , but ask me in person ( at many 2A events ) and I'll freely give my take on a wise approach.
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2018, Congregate Media, LP Privacy Policy Terms of Service