• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jaybee

Ultimate Member
    came across this and never heard of this happening - did anybody experience this

look closely at the front of the cylinder in the picture and the article

http://www.gunssavelife.com/?p=8584

Attachments

• 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      19.2 KB · Views: 220

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Typical if you don't properly crimp. Can be an issue w/ magnums even with a good crimp (they need a GOOD crimp)

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I've never experienced creep so severe it tied up the pistol. I have had it occur with older cases from work hardening or using a FCD with heavy loads enough to noticably effect group and ballistics. Getting the crimp at the proper 'depth' in the cannular can help eliminate that inertial bullet creep, too.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    More going on than just the crimp per se, it is the overall case neck tension.

Factors include :

Bullet dia
    Neck id after expanding
    Depth and shape of crimp groove
    And finally the Crimp itself

Also with heavy loads of slow burning powder in magnum loads , insufficient case neck tension can effect ignition and consistency of burn even if not blatently bullet creep.

Extreme bullet creep like in the pic are most common in combinitations very heavy recoil, either from mega powerful ctgs, or very light guns in "normal" cals.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    And what brand/type might they be?

I'm curious also to see if it's different than Sgt preston's link.
    I've got a Lyman multi caliber block style that the 38 special and the 357 magnum are in the same hole and it definately won't check roll crimp in the 38 special.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm curious also to see if it's different than Sgt preston's link.
    I've got a Lyman multi caliber block style that the 38 special and the 357 magnum are in the same hole and it definately won't check roll crimp in the 38 special.

I tried using the Wilson 10mm case gauge for my 40 ammunition and it doesn't quite work right.

Outrider, if there isn't enough crimp on my pistol rounds, the rim of the cartridge stays above the rim of the gauge. If I apply more crimp, the cartridge rims are level with the rim of the gauge.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I tried using the Wilson 10mm case gauge for my 40 ammunition and it doesn't quite work right.

Definately see that not working since the 10mm/40S&W, as with the 9mm Luger, 45ACP, and so on, head spacing off the case mouth, hence the need for a taper crimp. I figure with revolver rounds head spacing on the rim is why my gauge uses the same hole for my 38special/357 magnum and 44 special/44 magnum.:thumbsup:

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Outrider, if there isn't enough crimp on my pistol rounds, the rim of the cartridge stays above the rim of the gauge. If I apply more crimp, the cartridge rims are level with the rim of the gauge.

Do your resized, but unloaded brass fit in the case gauge? A case gauge should be cut to the saami spec which can't test crimp. Im wondering if your loaded rounds w/ not enough crimp that fail still have some flare from the powder/bullet load stage. Those may be outside the spec.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Do your resized, but unloaded brass fit in the case gauge? A case gauge should be cut to the saami spec which can't test crimp. Im wondering if your loaded rounds w/ not enough crimp that fail still have some flare from the powder/bullet load stage. Those may be outside the spec.

I'll check when I get home. BTW, when I do the plunk test with the barrels, the rounds that don't quite fit in the case gauge will fit in the chamber.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    The saami chamber spec is larger than the ammo spec. Take 9mm for example:
    http://www.saami.org/pubresources/cc_drawings/Pistol/9mm Luger - 9mm Luger +P.pdf
    You can see the chamber is cut at a minimum to be about a thou larger than a max cartridge is allowed to be at the mouth. It allows for carbon/dirt, easy of feed/eject/etc. A case gauge should be testing the cartridge spec. If it goes into that it should fit into ANY gun. A fired case wont go into a wilson gage. The chamber can be cut WELL over the sammi limits. So even something that doesn't fit into the gauge might well chamber in SOME guns just fine.

What is interesting I just found is that the 9mm spec (picked it at random) actually specs a little taper in the nose of the cartridge. If you look at something like a 357 like the OP's orig revolver problem there is no such taper. But only subsonic 38spl wadcutters could prob get by w/ zero crimp out of a revolver;)
    http://www.saami.org/pubresources/cc_drawings/Pistol/357 Magnum.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom