• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    They found when using Doppler Radar that the Ballistic Coefficient changes with polymer tipped Ammunition. They developed a polymer tip that does not deform and gives long range hunters better long range consistency.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    They found when using Doppler Radar that the Ballistic Coefficient changes with polymer tipped Ammunition. They developed a polymer tip that does not deform and gives long range hunters better long range consistency.
    Well said! The tip of the bullet gets hot and deforms in all polymer tipped bullets except for the one that they've just developed. Melting tips create drag and slow the bullet down. Their tip increases accuracy, terminal velocity, and cavity expansion over all other polymer tipped bullets. They claim they've created a match grade hunting bullet.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Well said! The tip of the bullet gets hot and deforms in all polymer tipped bullets except for the one that they've just developed. Melting tips create drag and slow the bullet down. Their tip increases accuracy, terminal velocity, and cavity expansion over all other polymer tipped bullets. They claim they've created a match grade hunting bullet.
    Yeah, and now the only question remaining is price/availability.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Many years ago there was a study that concluded that the base of the bullet was more important for accuracy than the the tip.

DollZ

Sep 11, 2015
    A long video but the ballistics are fascinating, as are the other new products Hornady is coming out with - Thanks for posting

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Many years ago there was a study that concluded that the base of the bullet was more important for accuracy than the the tip.

True, as long as the tip doesn't deform during flight and induce tumbling due to asymmetrical drag. If I read the article correctly, their new polymer tip doesn't deform (as much?).

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    BTW, I've got some bronze tips that seem to do the exact same thing as the new polymer. I'd check them myself for deformation art terminal velocity but my damn doppler's in the shop.

Im a firm believer that feed geometry and how smooth the transition from the magazine to the chamber effects consistency.

If Hornady found that deformation of the tip effected things then rough feed geometry and rifles that damage projectiles should apply as well, I would think....

I have performed ramp work on precision rigs and shooters have noted they saw some improvement in their groups. Most of them are AR type platforms.

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    So I was a little curious about their claim of ballistic tips and for kicks ran the numbers. Assuming a bullet is going 3000 ft/sec at sea level standard atmospheric conditions what would be the temperature at the tip of the bullet (stagnation point)? A 3000 ft/sec bullet is going Mach 2.69 @ 59 degrees F. That gives a temperature at the tip of about 810 degrees F.

So yea I could easily see how that would melt most polymers. The problem is, what are they going to do about their A-max and V-max lines? I wonder if they are going to update them with this new high temp polymer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom