Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Gunsmithing
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old June 10th, 2015, 04:21 PM #1
John Galt Speaking.

John Galt Speaking.

.750 vs. .875 gas block? Barrel Performance?

I've been shooting Heavy Metal Division this year for 3 gun. The Current barrel is the 16" RECON barrel that came on the DPMS; it's OK... cold, it's ~2 MOA barrel, but as it heats up, the groups open up. It only becomes a problem when there are longer shots (250 yards+) at the end of a stage. I was thinking about upgrading the barrel to a Shilen barrel- they are available in .750 and .875 diameter at the gas block.

My question is this: will there much difference between .750 and .875, performance-wise? I know one will heat up/cool down slightly slower, but will they perform about the same, otherwise? I have a TJC Titan comp that's .750, but if the .875 will perform better, I'll just replace the comp.

..........................................-Hanlon's Razor

"No one Is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it."

..........................................-16 Am Jur 2d, Sec 177 late 2d, Sec 256
BenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 05:50 PM #2
Competition Shooter

Competition Shooter

Well one is going to weight more. Are you OK with the weight of your rifle as is? Is either of the barrels fluted? If the only difference between the comps is the esthetics of matching the barrel diameter just use the one you have as the threads should be the same. I would go with the heavier barrel if I could handle the extra weight at the end of a COF, but at my age I prefer lighter. Either barrel may likely be more accurate than your current one.

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.
James Madison
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Sir R.M.Hyslop (attributed to Edmund Burke).
Those willing to give up freedom for security deserve neither.
Benjamin Franklin
photoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 06:04 PM #3

Buy a Krieger barrel, problem solved.
dist1646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 08:21 PM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenL View Post
I've been shooting Heavy Metal Division this year for 3 gun. The Current barrel is the 16" RECON barrel that came on the DPMS; it's OK... cold, it's ~2 MOA barrel, but as it heats up, the groups open up. It only becomes a problem when there are longer shots (250 yards+) at the end of a stage. I was thinking about upgrading the barrel to a Shilen barrel- they are available in .750 and .875 diameter at the gas block.

My question is this: will there much difference between .750 and .875, performance-wise? I know one will heat up/cool down slightly slower, but will they perform about the same, otherwise? I have a TJC Titan comp that's .750, but if the .875 will perform better, I'll just replace the comp.
So you are comparing a chrome lined barrel to a high end stainless or carbon steel barrel? At this point diameter isn't going to matter unless you are doing mag dumps. (which would be stupid with a match barrel)

Get the .750 diameter barrel. (or whichever is cheaper) Coming from a dpms barrel it is almost impossible that you will not be satisfied with either shilen.

And fyi, making multiple threads in different sections is unnecessary at best and rather annoying at worst.
501st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 09:06 PM #5
John Galt Speaking.

John Galt Speaking.

Quote:

^ Read.

"No one Is bound to obey an unconstitutional law and no courts are bound to enforce it."

..........................................-16 Am Jur 2d, Sec 177 late 2d, Sec 256
Old June 10th, 2015, 09:11 PM #6
John Galt Speaking.

John Galt Speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoracer View Post
Well one is going to weight more. Are you OK with the weight of your rifle as is? Is either of the barrels fluted? If the only difference between the comps is the esthetics of matching the barrel diameter just use the one you have as the threads should be the same. I would go with the heavier barrel if I could handle the extra weight at the end of a COF, but at my age I prefer lighter. Either barrel may likely be more accurate than your current one.
Thanks PR. I'm sticking with 16" because it feels "faster". I would hope a Shilen barrel would be more accurate.

I'm leaning toward the heavier barrel in hopes that it can handle the longer strings better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Old June 10th, 2015, 11:22 PM #7

Quote:
^ Read.
Quote:
Thanks PR. I'm sticking with 16" because it feels "faster". I would hope a Shilen barrel would be more accurate.

I'm leaning toward the heavier barrel in hopes that it can handle the longer strings better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Yes, I read all the posts. If you can deal with the extra weight, get the .875. If not, then the .750.

You not making things clearer by not stating the number of shots/time duration of your "strings".
501st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2015, 11:50 PM #8
AR15 Technical Instructor

AR15 Technical Instructor

The attachment method can also effect accuracy as well, so can the material of the gas block.

Aluminum is a terrible material for gas blocks due to the very ing rates aluminum and steel heat and cool, it can lead to gas issues. Steel and titanium is the better material.

As far as attachments methods go, the least amount of stress out on the gas block seat the better. Set screws and drilling and pinning can apply stress on the bore where a clamp on model won't if fit properly.

I would also use about 20 ft# max and rocksett on the muzzle device, too much torque can apply stress on the last 1/2 of the rifling.

IMO the thicker the barrel the better, but understand your limitations with maneuverability.
clandestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 09:30 AM #9
John Galt Speaking.

John Galt Speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clandestine View Post
The attachment method can also effect accuracy as well, so can the material of the gas block.

Aluminum is a terrible material for gas blocks due to the very ing rates aluminum and steel heat and cool, it can lead to gas issues. Steel and titanium is the better material.

As far as attachments methods go, the least amount of stress out on the gas block seat the better. Set screws and drilling and pinning can apply stress on the bore where a clamp on model won't if fit properly.

I would also use about 20 ft# max and rocksett on the muzzle device, too much torque can apply stress on the last 1/2 of the rifling.

IMO the thicker the barrel the better, but understand your limitations with maneuverability.
OK. Thanks, Chad. I also think that clamp on GB is the way to go for this application (game gun.) Who's steel clamp on GB do you like?

Old June 11th, 2015, 10:51 AM #10
John Galt Speaking.

John Galt Speaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dist1646 View Post
Buy a Krieger barrel, problem solved.
Krieger, Shilen, Walther Lothar... all good barrel makers. Krieger's shortest barrel length is 20" for 308. For this application, I want a 16" barrel. Shilen's "ultra-match" grade (hand picked, best-of-the-best, tightest specs) is available in .750 and .875 in 16" without the wait.

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Gunsmithing