• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jaybee

Ultimate Member
    the HQL makes no sense

same background check as later when I buy a gun

just another OweFuomalley tax on the taxpayer

will they be giving vouchers to the new americans and politicaly defined minorities to buy guns

Oh, wait, they just buy their guns on the street - no waiting

amazing

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    the HQL makes no sense

same background check as later when I buy a gun

just another OweFuomalley tax on the taxpayer

will they be giving vouchers to the new americans and politicaly defined minorities to buy guns

Oh, wait, they just buy their guns on the street - no waiting

amazing

It is not designed to make sense; it is designed to intimidate, harass, and infringe the fundamental civil rights of law-abiding firearms owners (and prospective owners).

Troublesbrewin

Handgunner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 17, 2013
    Ellicott City
    The HQL gives you the privilege of purchasing a handgun. Has nothing to so with possession. It is good for 10 years.

You only have to get it if you plan to purchase a handgun after 10/1.

And yes... You'll still have to go through the background check every time you purchase.

I have to disagree with your assessment of the law, the HQL is required for the TRANSFER of a regulated handgun. It doesn't matter if it's a purchase, gift or trade. To legally take ownership or permanent possesion you must have the HQL. I think it would apply to an issued handgun for a Security Guard or PI in a private firm.

Dec 31, 2012
    FFL's can still release after 7 days post October 1st as long as you have an HQL. I've seen nothing that says that aspect will change.
    Of course the catch is you need the HQL which will take some as of yet to be determined time as well as cost you some bucks for fees and fingerprint services.

[HQL time] + 8 days = my next potential purchase

I fully expect a new law this session which will negate the possiblity of release without complete paperwork from MSP.

Dec 31, 2012
    As retired military I understand I won't need an HQL. Curious how that will work out.

I suppose you will need to carry paperwork stating such when you go to purchase. Perhaps the state will just send you an HQL free of charge? I don't think anyone knows at this point.

circadia

Jan 19, 2013
    Arbutus
    The HQL is supposed to be issued within 30 days, I don't think there is any way they will be able to turn them around in that time period though.

Legally, they don't have a choice, do they? The new law says they shall issue an HQL (or a denial) within 30 days of receiving a properly completed application. Because of that, I assume the current backlog of purchase applications will take a backseat to HQL apps after 10/1.

I thought it was $50 to get the license, and $25 to renew in 10 years.

$50 to get it and "up to $20" to renew it every 10 years. Though I'm sure they'll find a reason to increase that renewal fee before 2023.

Dec 31, 2012
    Legally, they don't have a choice, do they? The new law says they shall issue an HQL (or a denial) within 30 days of receiving a properly completed application. Because of that, I assume the current backlog of purchase applications will take a backseat to HQL apps after 10/1.

$50 to get it and "up to $20" to renew it every 10 years. Though I'm sure they'll find a reason to increase that renewal fee before 2023.

Theoretically 30+8 days for the first post Oct 1st purchase.
    We'll see what Nov 7th brings.

$50 + fingerprint fees.
    What a waste of money.
    I tried to avoid that but employment issues take a front seat.

Feb 28, 2013
    But say I get a HQL and purchase another pistol but don't renew it. What happens to the pistol I purchased while it was good and its now 10 years later and I don't renew it? Let alone the ones I owned prior to 10/1

It's not for possession. That's in Illinois. Our HQL is only for the "privilege" to purchase.

so they do a background check when you buy a HQL and then do a background check when you buy a handgun

which is stupid and now the wait time will be 180 days because MSP does twice the work

You know, it wouldn't be so bad if we could be subject to regulated firearm type background check ONCE, for the purpose of the HQL or whatever manner of license. But then ALL firearms become cash and carry for the duration of the license.

Oh wait, that might be considered "logical". And we don't believe in that here in MD. :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom