Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old June 13th, 2018, 02:10 PM #31

Another thought I just had: how would I go about removing a stuck case from the sizing die? Hasn't happened yet but I'd like to be prepared. ( same reason I purchased a bullet puller )
Old June 13th, 2018, 04:30 PM #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras_oscar View Post
Another thought I just had: how would I go about removing a stuck case from the sizing die? Hasn't happened yet but I'd like to be prepared. ( same reason I purchased a bullet puller )
Cabela's sells a stuck case extractor from RCBS.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/RCBS...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I also use a Lee turret press. All I do for my .223 is remove the indexing rod and then batch load the rounds. If you want to use the index feature you'll need a special die to activate the drum powder measure. I don't believe Cabela's carries them but Brownell's; FS Reloading should. Also available through Lee. https://leeprecision.com/long-charging-die.html

Also, after trimming, don't forget to chamfer and debur your cases.
LGoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2018, 06:24 PM #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bountied View Post
I used to use a case gauge but I fire form my brass now so it doesn't get used.

If I was reloading for a semi auto I would full length resize then use the case gauge to see what needs to be trimmed, It's much faster than calipers.
When loading for my spacegun, I run all my brass through the trimmer. Once the trimmer is set to length, there is no need to worry about the measurement, they all end up the same length.
dist1646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2018, 11:48 PM #34

It depends on your trimmer.

Some trimmers (Geraud and WTF) index off the case shoulder. So you MUST trim after sizing.

I do my precision rounds one step at a time.

I do plinking 5.56 on my Dillon. But most is once or twice fired brass, so no trim issues yet.
Pinecone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2018, 01:59 PM #35

Progress update: last week I deprimed and reprimed a few cases. Mistake, since I need to remove the primer to trim ( I am using the lee hand trimmer which indexes off the base of the case) I know of no way to safely remove a live primer, so its into the rifle and pull the trigger for me. Set those aside, and deprimed/sized a bunch of fresh cases. Some were still tight after lubing. Added more lube and ran through again. Then I ran through the hand trimmer. About 50% needed no trim at all. After trimming each, I popped them all into the case gage. 2/3 fell into and out of the gage with no effort, a few did not. Ran those through the sizing die again. Also cleaned the pockets. Then, just for fun, I pulled out the dial caliper and measured the case overall length on my ready to prime cases. They all measured .1 inches too short. WTF? measured the cases I had mistakenly primed. Same thing WTFFF??!! Then, just to confuse me completely, I measured the unprocessed cases. SAME THING!!!!!

Then I pulled out the reloading manual. the case length is supposed to be 1.015, not 1.105. OOPS!! All is well. Dyslexics untie. (I am not dyslexic, I just transferred the wrong number to my cartridge data card)

this afternoon I will load up a ladder of 4 rounds each at 5 steps from minimum load to 1 grain below never exceed and see how they group at the range.
Old June 16th, 2018, 03:27 PM #36

Quote:
Progress update: last week I deprimed and reprimed a few cases. Mistake, since I need to remove the primer to trim ( I am using the lee hand trimmer which indexes off the base of the case) I know of no way to safely remove a live primer, so its into the rifle and pull the trigger for me. Set those aside, and deprimed/sized a bunch of fresh cases. Some were still tight after lubing. Added more lube and ran through again. Then I ran through the hand trimmer. About 50% needed no trim at all. After trimming each, I popped them all into the case gage. 2/3 fell into and out of the gage with no effort, a few did not. Ran those through the sizing die again. Also cleaned the pockets. Then, just for fun, I pulled out the dial caliper and measured the case overall length on my ready to prime cases. They all measured .1 inches too short. WTF? measured the cases I had mistakenly primed. Same thing WTFFF??!! Then, just to confuse me completely, I measured the unprocessed cases. SAME THING!!!!!

Then I pulled out the reloading manual. the case length is supposed to be 1.015, not 1.105. OOPS!! All is well. Dyslexics untie. (I am not dyslexic, I just transferred the wrong number to my cartridge data card)

this afternoon I will load up a ladder of 4 rounds each at 5 steps from minimum load to 1 grain below never exceed and see how they group at the range.
Get a universal decapping die and VERY gently insert the primed case until the primer pops out. If you have the new version of the turret (cast aluminum base w/ spent primer tube) empty the tube and collect the perfectly good primers. Just use them to reprime.

As an aside, Frankford Arsenal makes a case prep center for around $170. Set up for your caliber by following the instructions carefully. Also chamfers, deburs and cleans primer pockets. Additional accessory set to ream out military crimped primer pockets.
https://fsreloading.com/frankford-ar...945720918.html
Also available from Cabela's.
Old June 17th, 2018, 09:04 AM #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGoodwin View Post
Get a universal decapping die and VERY gently insert the primed case until the primer pops out. If you have the new version of the turret (cast aluminum base w/ spent primer tube) empty the tube and collect the perfectly good primers. Just use them to reprime.
Safety goggles can't hurt. I've never had one go off, but I could imagine if it went off just as the primer was exiting the case that it might become a projectile that you wouldn't want in your eye.

I always wear goggles whenever I do this or pull bullets with live components.
Old June 17th, 2018, 09:11 AM #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowPow View Post
Safety goggles can't hurt. I've never had one go off, but I could imagine if it went off just as the primer was exiting the case that it might become a projectile that you wouldn't want in your eye.

I always wear goggles whenever I do this or pull bullets with live components.
Great point! I wear glasses w/ lexan lenses so I don't normally think about safety goggles.
Old June 18th, 2018, 10:06 AM #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGoodwin View Post
Universal decapper. Any reason why you do not recommend the .308 resize/decapping die I already have?
Old June 18th, 2018, 11:12 AM #40

Quote:
Universal decapper. Any reason why you do not recommend the .308 resize/decapping die I already have?
You could certainly use your resizing die, however it will work the brass more. A universal decapping die isn't expensive (Lee's work fine, and pretty cheap) and let you deprime in a separate step without work hardening your brass.
Major03 is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading