• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    As far as on-line buying vs in-store, I always ask my LGS whether he would prefer for me to order it and pay him the transfer fee or should he order it and I buy direct from him. Usually I order and pay him the fee.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Here is the real truth, and it's gonna sting. Most gun shops suck.

Ouch. That really does sting and I think goes a little too far. The LGS serves a purpose and I wouldn't go so far as to say they are gouging or taking advantage of anyone.

I bought my very first handgun from a local gun shop and did not learn until later that I could have saved roughly $150 if I had bought it online. Every handgun I have bought since has either been used through a private seller or purchased online; however I do not regret making that first purchase the way I did.

All of that said, the LGS paid an employee to show me guns, talk to me, and walk me through the process. They paid the rent, the utilities, insurance, and all of the other expense associated with running a business. They tied up a great deal of the owners capital in inventory so that I had an opportunity to touch, feel, pull the trigger on a variety of guns.

So, lets assume that all of the sucky LGS were to go out of business. Where would you go to do your pre online purchase fondling? Are you going to Bass Pro Shop and waiting 45 minutes to touch a gun with a trigger lock on it? Don't say you would go to a gun show, because guess who the majority of those vendors are.

You do not have to support the LGS if you do not want to, but lets not say that most all of them suck.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I don't know about what kind of $$$ you guys make BUT any transfer cost over $25.00 is way TOOOOO much. It takes 10 Min or Less X 6 per Hr $150.00 for a Hours worth of work is pretty decent .

Jim

Send copy of FFL to shipper

Receive firearm.

Unpack firearm.

Log firearm into bound book.

Lock away firearm until the person comes in to do paperwork.

Check paperwork after customer completes. File paperwork.

If required (handgun in MD), store handgun for at least 7 more days.

Complete paper work.

Log transfer out in bound book.

Oh, and a portion of the cost of having a shop, paying utilities, paying an employee (if appropriate).

10 minutes?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Business' don't operate as charities. It costs money to receive your firearm at an FFL, it costs money for the FFL to verify that the firearm is transferable, it costs money to transfer the firearm to you when you come in to pick it up.

Most if not all gun stores, who are FFL's, will waive the transfer fees, if you purchase the firearm through them. The transfer fees are built into the price of the firearm.

Yeap, and my local FFL will normally come under or at least very close to GB price, plus shipping. You do have to pay sales tax, but the transfer is built in. So it is close to being a wash.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Here is the real truth, and it's gonna sting. Most gun shops suck. They sell the exact same accessories you can get offline for cheaper. They sell guns you can order and ship for less. They try to charge you exuberant amounts for ammo, like you don't know where wal-mart is. Pawn shops beat them to death when it comes to used guns. They primarily make their income from new (and thus naive) shooters, and those who have enough money not to care about the difference.

Gun store owners love to say "support small business". That's BS all day long. It's not my job to make you money, that's your job. My job is to get things for as cheap as I can while still maintaining my desired quality. Some places won't even transfer a new gun if they sell it in the store. These tactics along with higher transfer fees will not save the store, it will drive business to the pawn shops, the home/shed ffls, and the big box stores. Digging the hole deeper.

I get what you're saying and agree. Why pay more if you don't have to? Don't. And I'm not saying continue to let unscrupulous dealers pound you for $100 extra on your gun purchases.

But like I said, in the end I don't think this kind of dealer will be around very long. You have folks like Blue Fins and JLowes, among others, who have found a way to offer great prices for their customers AND remain profitable. I'm pretty confident that you won't be able to transfer in any gun cheaper than what these folks normally sell them for.

For other folks though, price is not the main driver in their decisions. Building relationships is more important. Or being in close proximity to the FFL takes priority. Having someone to help work through issues and offer advice may be most important. Different strokes.

Like most other things, the standard for a gun dealer is changing; some will adapt, others won't. Free market and all.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Another note here is that local businesses are at a disadvantage to start because of sale tax laws. If you are buying an expensive gun, the local 6% state tax is going to make a significant difference. I fundamentally don't agree with the loophole and I know there have been some attempts at passing laws to close it but if it's there, it's dumb not to use it.

Case and point on this one...I used to buy just about all my electronics on Amazon. Now that the have a distribution center in MD, they charge sales tax. My business goes to other online retailers for big ticket items because I save 6%. My point here is that it's not just gun shops.

Hippy

Mar 11, 2008
    Frostburg Md
    The building costs money, heat costs money, A/C costs money, lawyers cost money, benefits cost money, equipment costs money.

The fully burdened cost of an employ is far and above what that employee is payed per hour.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/calculate-fully-burdened-labor-costs-33072.html

Not to get into a Pissing Match But do you want your employees to do transfers or play with their I-Phones the cost to the business owner is the same .I did not say that that is the ONLY source of income but in addition to doing nothing

Jim

East2West

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 20, 2013
    Nomalley, Nobama
    I don't get how is shameful for a consumer to try and save money, but it's lauded for a business to charge 20-30% more for an item?
    There's a happy medium in there somewhere. But to try and bash someone, especially in this economy for trying to save money by buying online is asinine.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I don't get how is shameful for a consumer to try and save money, but it's lauded for a business to charge 20-30% more for an item?
    There's a happy medium in there somewhere. But to try and bash someone, especially in this economy for trying to save money by buying online is asinine.

There is indeed a happy medium, if you can find it.

I think the category of business that LGS's fall into makes it easier for some customers to empathize.

If all gun stores were run like walmart then no one would give a crap about their service, their profit or their feelings. It would be simply about getting the best price, period.

But since the LGS is not run like a Walmart, you have real people, relationships, and trust to consider along with prices.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    All of that said, the LGS paid an employee to show me guns, talk to me, and walk me through the process. They paid the rent, the utilities, insurance, and all of the other expense associated with running a business. They tied up a great deal of the owners capital in inventory so that I had an opportunity to touch, feel, pull the trigger on a variety of guns.

Every single business has bills, gun stores are not special. The purpose of inventory is to move it. Inventory sitting on a shelf waiting to be fondled is unrealized capital. Many stores stockpile and stockpile inventory until they eventually go out of business or the owner dies, and then that inventory moves for pennies on the dollar. I know, I have been to multiple closed gunstore auctions this year and bought the accessories for 1/10 the worth.

So, lets assume that all of the sucky LGS were to go out of business. Where would you go to do your pre online purchase fondling? Are you going to Bass Pro Shop and waiting 45 minutes to touch a gun with a trigger lock on it? Don't say you would go to a gun show, because guess who the majority of those vendors are.
    Basspro and dicks and such are nonsense. I can beat gander mtns prices in my sleep. I learn about guns through publications and online videos in advance. I don't need to finger bang one to buy.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    Send copy of FFL to shipper

Receive firearm.

Unpack firearm.

Log firearm into bound book.

Lock away firearm until the person comes in to do paperwork.

Check paperwork after customer completes. File paperwork.

If required (handgun in MD), store handgun for at least 7 more days.

Complete paper work.

Log transfer out in bound book.

Oh, and a portion of the cost of having a shop, paying utilities, paying an employee (if appropriate).

10 minutes?
    I have bought guns all over the united states, I buy about 10-15 a year. I usually snail mail the FFL copy, or I use Email FFL friendly sellers. I track my shipment. I ask the FFL about USPS or UPS arrival times and arrive accordingly. I remember in KY the FFL used to have me pick up the box from the mailman. I would bring it inside, open it, and let them inspect the number. They would log it in, call in my 4473, and log it out. Pay your 25 bucks and go. not even ten minutes.

I have also been to FFLs who open my boxes before I get there, F around with my accessories, take photos with my guns, put them on the rack, and throw away my boxes. This drives me insane. This is MY property, you are not entitled to any of it, not one packing peanut. Leave my stuff alone.

I don't care about your bills, that's YOUR problem. There are other FFLS in MD transferring at 25 dollars. If you can't match them, that's 0 dollars you earned, instead of 25. And that is the problem. Stop acting like a car dealership, and start dealing like a liquidator. Don't look for the perfect buyer who pays top price. Try to sell something to absolutely everyone. Every dollar you make is a step in the right direction.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    how so? My local MD FFL does 25 for long guns. My local DE FFL charges me 15. for the same. The paperwork is what? sign in and out of the bound book, 4473, and a 5 minute phone call. 25 bucks from me is better than zero, and thats how much FFLs get when they charge more than 25.

I didn't feel I needed to spell it out but I was talking about 77R transfers. In any case, the need to pay for the overhead to maintain a store has already been talked about. Believe it or not the dealers like to make a decent living too and don't all have vacation homes in Conde' Nast and Maseratis hidden away in their garages as they wait with baited breath for your thirty dollars.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I didn't feel I needed to spell it out but I was talking about 77R transfers. In any case, the need to pay for the overhead to maintain a store has already been talked about. Believe it or not the dealers like to make a decent living too and don't all have vacation homes in Conde' Nast and Maseratis hidden away in their garages as they wait with baited breath for your thirty dollars.

53479031.jpg

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Transfer in moco is $50 plus $10 for regulated firearms lol

I save a lot of time by being able to visit my LGS at lunch. They might not have a $25 regulated transfer fee, but I'm not spending 90 minutes round trip to go around 695 to a cheaper place.

That's thing here in MoCo. I've seen $40 with at home FFL's close by, but to save $20 to work around their schedule and they never seem to answer emails etc. I had a gun ordered last year trying to go through the $40 route, and they never faxed over the required info. Then of course the seller never notified me either... When buying guns in the 200-400 range, the xfer fees really make it prohibitive. Buying something in four figures, well the xfer is less than the tax you'd pay and the discount online is worth it. Looking now at a $315 firearm shipped, then add $60 that's $375. Or pay LGS $360 + 21.60 + 10.00 = 391.60. Is it worth it to ship a gun to save $16 ?

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    Here is the real truth, and it's gonna sting. Most gun shops suck. They sell the exact same accessories you can get offline for cheaper. They sell guns you can order and ship for less. They try to charge you exuberant amounts for ammo, like you don't know where wal-mart is. Pawn shops beat them to death when it comes to used guns. They primarily make their income from new (and thus naive) shooters, and those who have enough money not to care about the difference.

Gun store owners love to say "support small business". That's BS all day long. It's not my job to make you money, that's your job. My job is to get things for as cheap as I can while still maintaining my desired quality. Some places won't even transfer a new gun if they sell it in the store. These tactics along with higher transfer fees will not save the store, it will drive business to the pawn shops, the home/shed ffls, and the big box stores. Digging the hole deeper.

I think there is some truth to what you said but I think there are some other factors. I think gun stores cater to and make money from the new shooters and the buyers who like to handle and shop in the traditional brick and mortar sense. I like most 20-30 somethings shop almost exclusively online and rely on reviews and YouTube videos for my purchases. I have never went to a brick and mortor store and fondled the inventory then went to buy online and have it transferred.

On my first purchase I went to a LGS and handled a few handguns looking for my first purchase but the counter guy was condescending as I admitted I was a new shooter and liked the added safety features of the XD. He said it wasn't necessary and I shouldnt be shooting if I dont know if its loaded and/or cocked. It left a bad taste in my mouth so after renting the XD I called another shop, they didnt have it in stock so I ordered online and had it transferred there. It went smoothly so I have pretty much done all mine like that since.

I think the LGS deal with a ton of tire kickers and spend all kinds of time explaining MD laws so I dont fault them for what they charge. For me though I dont need that same level of knowledge or service and dont expect to pay for it either.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    While there are some shops that charge fees out of line, if you don't support your local shops, there will not be there to transfer you in the future.

If it is currently available, I give a few shops the chance to make the sale. I will pay a bit more, but not huge amount. If they are not currently available, then I will buy online and transfer.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Look how many shops we lost in this area due to the 2013 laws. Now look at the recent announcements about Macys and Sear/Kmart. Each are closing 100's of stores. Why? Amazon. Some will say that different. Well no, at the crux of it is a brick and mortar giants losing tons of business to online sales. Maybe it is their fault, maybe not. But those stores and jobs are gone forever.
    Like Pinecone said, we have got to support these guys or we wont have them around to do the transfers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom