• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Just bumping the thread. I really want to support action shooting at AGC (plus, it would just be fun), but I don't think I can get away from non-shooting responsibilities for this one. :sad20: Especially since we're doing the Steel Challenge the day after.:innocent0

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    This is going to require someone from the Staff/Match Director, (MD), answering. I am neither Staff, or MD. If you've done some shooting where you draw from a holster on a time clock, yeah...maybe. Otherwise it's a good size learning curve for you and you might be best to watch.

AAFG, (Anne Arundel Fish and Game) has a rule that you must have training to shoot IDPA on their range. That's how I started 9 years ago. They hold training and there's one with openings on 11/23, here: https://practiscore.com/action-pist...y-briefing-saturday-23-november-2019/register

Now that's one hell of a bump.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Is this event suitable for a shooter completely new to IDPA? Or maybe best to come out and watch first?

We have no IDPA training at the AGC. IMO, standing on the sidelines and watching is a waste of your time. I did it and still have no idea what was going on.

That said, I spoke to the MD about your question and he said that if you have experience drawing from a holster and can keep your finger out of the trigger housing until you have a sight picture, then you should go ahead and register. This is a pretty informal match and you will learn much more by doing than watching.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    There are a few training companies around that provide small group or individual instruction. It is a great way to get introduced to the competitive shooting sports. I did this recently to better transition from pistol to pistol caliber carbine for uspsa. Or just jump in with Steel Challenge first...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

hammer67

Aug 21, 2016
    Ellicott City
    Will the match be the entire time from 8-4? Would love to try this but that is long time to get away. If I signed up, is it OK if only do some stages and leave early, or would that be frowned upon? I am steel and holster certified, and I went for the orientation at Anne Arundel Fish and Game several years ago, but never competed. Do you have the boxes for gun classification? I think XD mod2 subcompact is compact carry. Any Bug-S? I didn't see anyone registered for that division.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    Will the match be the entire time from 8-4? Would love to try this but that is long time to get away. If I signed up, is it OK if only do some stages and leave early, or would that be frowned upon? I am steel and holster certified, and I went for the orientation at Anne Arundel Fish and Game several years ago, but never competed. Do you have the boxes for gun classification? I think XD mod2 subcompact is compact carry. Any Bug-S? I didn't see anyone registered for that division.

From the link on OP...

Match starts: November 16, 2019 @ 8:00 AM · Match ends: November 16, 2019 @ 12:30 PM

It's a Tier 1 Match, or Club Match. They are low key and equipment guidelines are secondary to safety rules. CCP might work for your XD if you just want to "play". That's 8 in the mag and one in pipe at the buzzer...(9 rounds in the gun to start). Bring at least 3 mags, more is better. Tell your SO you're new and you'll shoot last in the squad with time to see how the stage runs. Show up, be safe, shoot your gun.

Once again, I'm not Staff or MD, so I'm speaking out of turn and only have a feel for how things go from 9 years of shooting IDPA.

hammer67

Aug 21, 2016
    Ellicott City
    on practiscore, you pick your division. If you mark one, but then decide to bring different gun and in different division, is that OK or are you locked into what you pick? Have to go through gear see what I have like holsters and mag holders for couple guns.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    on practiscore, you pick your division. If you mark one, but then decide to bring different gun and in different division, is that OK or are you locked into what you pick? Have to go through gear see what I have like holsters and mag holders for couple guns.

You can change your division yourself in practiscore up until the point that the MD locks the squaring. At that point it needs to be done at the match on the tablets.

hammer67

Aug 21, 2016
    Ellicott City
    OK, I signed up! My first time so no laughing! Just have to concentrate, safety first, finger off trigger, muzzle in safe direction, don't get DQ'd.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    OK, I signed up! My first time so no laughing! Just have to concentrate, safety first, finger off trigger, muzzle in safe direction, don't get DQ'd.

I see you didn't finish last. Was it fun?

There were some long shots, today. Tough to do with a short sight radius, CCP gun.

I've been a slow learner with this sport. I had a good day today and saw progress. I treasure it, because it might not be there next match.:D

hammer67

Aug 21, 2016
    Ellicott City
    It was a blast. Sure beats regular target shooting. Were you in my squad? I didn't even look at my score or anyone else's. I think only one other CCP in the match. Is there some kind of factor to compare different divisions? Or is it just your overall time for all stages? Yeh, that stage shooting through holes at silhouette, at the time, seemed really far. Says only 15 yds when looking at stage description now. Being in CCP and down 2 rounds per mag, and losing 2 rounds to jams, I didn't have enough ammo to finish and that killed me on that stage. I think I know why I kept having jams and it is easily fixed, which I'll do before get chance to go again-or just use a different gun. But I just LOVE that XD MOD.2 subcompact! Progress is good.

hammer67

Aug 21, 2016
    Ellicott City
    hey, I just saw email, in junk folder, from practiscore. you're right, not last--next to last! Trying to interpret. Assume PD is points deducted? Looks like my raw time is very high, and I'm guessing the jams is really what did me in. I probably had 2 jams on every stage and I know I had 3 on one stage. I was about ready to call it quits during stage and guys were like "power through it", LOL. I was about ready to ask to use my other gun. Sounds crazy that I love a gun that jams like that. But I just think I need proper mags. It was originally 40 and I put in drop in 9mm barrel, but still using 40 mags. They suggest using 9 mags, but I have never had issues before? top round definitely sits high and not being held by much. I just think that slide taking two rounds sometimes. Already pricing new 9mm mags!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom