• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I work next to the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission building in Laurel. For those not aware the WSSC has its own police force (a fairly sizeable one). They often have lunch in my building's cafeteria... but lately I've noticed some serious "tactical" looks. The other day I spotted a pair of WSSC LEO's fully decked out with external vests, drop leg rigs, BDUs... the works. The looked like the were ready for combat. I don't mean this as a derogatory statement nor to down play what I know us a genuine police organization... I'm just wondering what is going on that requires the water system police to tac-up? Anyone in the know about what it is they do on a daily basis?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I work next to the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission building in Laurel. For those not aware the WSSC has its own police force (a fairly sizeable one). They often have lunch in my building's cafeteria... but lately I've noticed some serious "tactical" looks. The other day I spotted a pair of WSSC LEO's fully decked out with external vests, drop leg rigs, BDUs... the works. The looked like the were ready for combat. I don't mean this as a derogatory statement nor to down play what I know us a genuine police organization... I'm just wondering what is going on that requires the water system police to tac-up? Anyone in the know about what it is they do on a daily basis?

Times are changing.

External vests have deployment and health benefits compared to having 15 lbs hanging from your hips. If you are in the office it is nice to be able to take the external vest off and not sit in a sweat and lug around extra weight. Need to leave the office toss it on. Doesn't take 10 minutes to get ready to leave. If there is light weight material that dries fast and doesn't tear as easy why not wear it?

Cost is coming down to outfit folks in "non traditional" uniforms. While the police aren't doing it 24/7 it doesn't make sense to have police running, jumping fences, going through streams, etc in material that hasn't changed in 60 years.

Comfort and morale also play a part. Plenty of agencies make their officers look professional with external vests, a polo, and BDU's. Some make it look sloppy and "tactical".

I honestly don't care what the police are wearing. Give them the best gear at a reasonable rate. Does it really matter if they *gasp* have a drop leg holster? Is that some how more intimidating then a belt holster? If it is mission accomplished maybe that "aggressive" look will prevent someone from fighting or shooting at them.

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    Times are changing.

External vests have deployment and health benefits compared to having 15 lbs hanging from your hips. If you are in the office it is nice to be able to take the external vest off and not sit in a sweat and lug around extra weight. Need to leave the office toss it on. Doesn't take 10 minutes to get ready to leave.

Cost is coming down to outfit folks in "non traditional" uniforms. While the police aren't doing it 24/7 it doesn't make sense to have police running, jumping fences, going through streams, etc in material that hasn't changed in 60 years.

Comfort and morale also play a part. Plenty of agencies make their officers look professional with external vests, a polo, and BDU's. Some make it look sloppy and "tactical".

I honestly don't care what the police are wearing. Give them the best gear at a reasonable rate. Does it really matter if they *gasp* have a drop leg holster? Is that some how more intimidating then a belt holster? If it is mission accomplished maybe that "aggressive" look will prevent someone from fighting or shooting at them.

100%. Not to mention, most of those dudes that I have met are retired PG county officers from the 90's and, as far as I am concerned, could wear a mop bucket on their head if they wanted.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    They provide police services at WSSC facilities and properties including office buildings, some parks, and even bodies of water.

Securing the water supply is a big deal but some of these other duties are similar to park police and agencies such as the federal protective service (U.S. Gov. Bldg. police).

https://www.wsscwater.com/watershedregs

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks for the feedback guys... I certainly didn't mean that these LEOs should not have whatever gear they need to do their job and keep themselves safe... my only observation was that this is a fairly recent change I've noticed and was just wondering if there was a situational driver or a change in their mission that was sparking the change.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Likely it was a change in management to someone who likes this look better. I will say that the external vest is great when in the office but I preferred my old one when working outside.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011

I was thinking about this the other day. With all the equipment now required for cops to carry tac vests and BDU's are literally the only option. Think about it.....3 less then lethal weapons (pepper spray, asp, taser) a radio, radio mic, two sets of handcuffs, a gun, 3 total magazines, gloves, TECC Kits (life saving first responder gear), tourniquets, citation books, regular note books, a body camera, department cell phone for the body camera, personal cell phone, wallet, keys, flashlight, and a knife.

Where am I expected to put all this crap without BDUs and an outer vest carrier?

It may look scary but 90% of it is to not kill people and to help people who have been injured......not offensive items.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I see that MPD has stopped carrying pens and whistles... Amateurs...

:D

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

My guess would be that the DHS Block Grant money came in.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I see that MPD has stopped carrying pens and whistles... Amateurs...

:D

J I haven't ever carried a whistle. And I'm constantly searching under the car seat for a pen lol. I will admit I still carry a call box key but that was obviously way before my time and is totally for superstitious reasons. When I'm in uniform of course which is rare.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    J I haven't ever carried a whistle. And I'm constantly searching under the car seat for a pen lol. I will admit I still carry a call box key but that was obviously way before my time and is totally for superstitious reasons. When I'm in uniform of course which is rare.

I've known a couple of folks with that key. Never hurts, cuz you never know.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I always appreciated the selective eyesight of the WSSC cops back in the day.

Somehow they never picked up on the amount of empties in the bottom of the boat while checking our permits.....;):innocent0

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

I refuse to not carry my whistle. I haven't needed it since I was directing traffic for Reagan's funeral but it feels like part of the kit that I should just have.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    I'm no LEO but it seems to me that, in the environment we have these days, it would be smart to be prepared for worst case scenarios. No telling which police force might be put on the spot with the nut jobs we have circulating now.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    What? You don't have one?
    c2a99d8c8820ac53e33ed95821ad09aa.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04