• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    About 36 hours or so ago I stopped getting any traffic on my scanner in Montgomery County. No police, EFRS, Ride-On, courtesy patrol, nothing.

I thought at first my old Pro-96 was finally kicking it but the WX still works fine. And, I tried listening online with Broadcastify and Radio Reference and their feeds were silent, too, at least while I was checking.

They rebanded a few years ago so I doubt they're doing it again, but I guess it's possible. Or, maybe gone encrypted? I could see that or the police and fire, but, not for things like the bus, etc.

Anyone know or have thoughts on it?

markgrutz

Feb 1, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    I am over in Columbia nearer to MoCo than usual. I pulled out the scanner and stood outside for a minute, I can get the MoCo system, but it comes in scratchy. I only have the control and back-up control channels in it, so I can attest that the system is up and working, at least on one of the CCs. I would go back and double check that you didn't skip or lock out a control channel by accident. I have done that many times on the Pro-96. There is also no mention of change on Radio Reference, or chatter on the forum in regards to MoCo.

Mark

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    Thanks, Mark. I checked and all the lockout lists are empty. I found I can go to search and get the MoCo police and EMS, but the scan isn't working for some reason.

It's very possible I hit something that threw it off, but I can't figure out what. My next step is to just reprogram it as I did after rebanding and hope that clears out whatever the problem is.

Part of what threw me is that I did not, and still am not, hearing anything come across online through Broadcastify from MoCo, but it's obviously there because you're hearing it and I am, too, using search.

Cyndi59

About 36 hours or so ago I stopped getting any traffic on my scanner in Montgomery County. No police, EFRS, Ride-On, courtesy patrol, nothing.

I thought at first my old Pro-96 was finally kicking it but the WX still works fine. And, I tried listening online with Broadcastify and Radio Reference and their feeds were silent, too, at least while I was checking.

They rebanded a few years ago so I doubt they're doing it again, but I guess it's possible. Or, maybe gone encrypted? I could see that or the police and fire, but, not for things like the bus, etc.

Anyone know or have thoughts on it?
    On the programmable I'm still picking up U.S. Park Police at: 166.9250mhz

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I am scanning monkey county here in aspen hill area with no trouble at all. I have a Uniden BCD996p2, BCD796D, RS Pro 197, Pro 96 and a Whistler 1095. Also scanning MD 1st Response, plus i can pick up a few feds plus a some others that i want to pick up as well. If you need it reprogrammed shoot me a PM. They did not reband again but they sure as heck did add a few Talk Groups to their police and fire channels including hospital med channels and contact to EMRC, not to mention a whole new system for their school bus fleet..

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    MCD, thanks for your offer. I'll hit you up if I get stumped. As I recall, the programming process using ARC96 wasn't that terrible back after rebanding. But, I'd rather find the problem than reprogram if possible. And, yeah, it's clear that the problem is with my radio (or me) and not with MoCo, whatever their other problems are, heh.

For those of you familiar with the Pro-96, here's something else I noticed last night that might provide a clue to what's wrong - In scan mode, the channel numbers normally sort of fade and have an underscore under them as the scanner passes through them. That is not happening now. The numbers are just all static with no visible activity during scan.

When I go to search, in the bank where police/fire is located, the numbers do fade and get the underscore as they're received.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    25103267.jpg

ComeGet

Ultimate Member
    Sep 1, 2015
    Thanks again for the replies.

I dropped out because a couple of days after my last post it started working normally again.

Then, yesterday, it did the same thing again. It seems like a fault of some kind for it to behave this way.

I'm fairly certain I haven't accidentally hit any settings to cause this because I don't monkey around with it. Once I got it set up for my area I left it alone.

I usually use it plugged in, occasionally on battery power when I'm out on the deck, but that's rare.

I might reset it to factory then try reprogramming it and see what happens.

lawdog89

Mar 23, 2012
    Germantown
    After listening to that stupid bull**** 10 hours a day I wouldn't go near a scanner. Why would you want to listen to that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom