• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • notfast

Sep 3, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    PSA sells a "pistol" LPK that does not include a castle nut and their customer service dept says it is not needed.

I'm not sure how I feel about a buffer tube being held in place w/o a castle nut.

Anyone have any experiences or thoughts?

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Don't own one, but a guy at the range had one and he didn't like it as wanted to take it off to replace with kak tube.
    He tried unscrewing by vice and by hand and strap wrench and wouldn't budge. Tried a little heat, knocking the tube forward to unseat threads...no dice.
    There are no notches or flat sides to grip.
    I don't know if he ever got it off.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I can understand not steaking it on a regular Joe Schmoe gun but I don't think I would just plain not have one

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    What purpose does the Castle Nut serve?
    On a rifle it keeps alignment of the tube. If the Pistol tube has the correct amount of threads, tighten it. Use Loc-tite or a little dimple to stake it if you feel it's required.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    If I was building an ultralight AR rifle I would just put a few dabs of loctite on it and forget about the castlenut. For a regularrifle build, I would want a castlenut.

On an AR pistol that doesn't have a stock or arm brace, there are no twisting forces on the buffer tube and a little loctite would be fine.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    PSA sells a "pistol" LPK that does not include a castle nut and their customer service dept says it is not needed.

I'm not sure how I feel about a buffer tube being held in place w/o a castle nut.

Just have Chad put a strap wrench on it and give it a good twist.

I have an Engage lower with a PSA pistol buffer tube and no castle nut.

hotdog

Dec 8, 2014
    Harford County
    Loctite it. I have PSA buffer tube without castle nut on 2 of my AR pistols, fortunately both works fine. Both has less than 200 rounds. I'm not sure what would happen if both hits 500 rounds.

Tip: Take SOTAR class when you get a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Be very careful about using loctite on the buffer tube threads. There is a good likelihood that it will get into the buffer detent and spring, just ask Chad... :lol2:

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Just have Chad put a strap wrench on it and give it a good twist.

I have an Engage lower with a PSA pistol buffer tube and no castle nut.
    This would be the proper method of attachment for the PSA buffer tube with no nut.. :thumbsup:

nomade

Apr 26, 2014

I have one in my AR pistol. I haven't have any issues.

Attachments

• 20141126_170149.jpg
      20141126_170149.jpg
      85.6 KB · Views: 1,653

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Some designs wont allow the use of a castle nut. A Strap Wrench (Blue Snap-On are the BEST) and a snug pull will secure it. Nothing else is needed unless you are attaching a brace that will impart some force to it.

Don't use Loctite on any Receiver Extension/Buffer Tube. I have a thread about the using loctite in this area with pics. There are 2 areas of an AR that can benefit from Loctite and this isnt one.

If you have to use something, use rocksett. If you need to remove it, just soak the lower in the kitchen sink.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If I was building an ultralight AR rifle I would just put a few dabs of loctite on it and forget about the castlenut. For a regularrifle build, I would want a castlenut.

On an AR pistol that doesn't have a stock or arm brace, there are no twisting forces on the buffer tube and a little loctite would be fine.

Use an aluminum castle nut. Weighs about .26oz compared to about .56oz of a steel castle nut if that concerned about weight. An aluminum end plate vs steel is also about the same weights/weight difference.

notfast

Sep 3, 2012
    Bel Air, MD
    Appreciate all the advice.

You think a heavy buffer would cause any additional issues? I guess its worth a shot to try it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom