• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Can one be put in second review for too may purchases of regulated firearms? Or purchasing regulated firearms too frequently? My oldest purchase is 4/4:mad54:, prior to that was January 12 (the infamous broken fax machine date). I currently have four purchases sitting. If I went in 2nd review, I realize that MSP may not be past that date. But, I have never been in 2nd review before, and do not have a common last name, no run in's with the law ever. Been fingerprinted for employment and an out of state ccw in the past, but even that didn't trigger a 2nd review. SS# was provided on the forms. 3 of the four are at non-releasing FFL's. The last is, as soon as they get through their backlog. Also, when the oldest (4/4) is finally completed, does the MSP keep info in a database to work from that date forward? Or do they start from scratch for each time paperwork crosses their desk? If the latter is the case, that would be a very innefficient way to operate, and adding to the delays.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    The latter. Each new app, even if just a day apart, goes through the same "single purchase process". What, you think this State wants you to get your guns on time?

Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    You can be placed into secondary review for any number of reasons. For example: A database is down. Maybe they typed your name wrong. They couldn't read something on your app. Or perhaps there is a cloud in the shape of a firetruck, etc.

There's no rhyme or reason for a lot of it. Or, if there is, we're not completely sure. It seems that reasons are generated for each situation to answer your inquiry as quickly as possible. In the end, you just got to wait, wait and then wait some more. Or go to a FFL that releases after 7 days.

lawdog89

Mar 23, 2012
    Germantown
    I just got a message that my current application is under "second review". I thought it was because I buy too many guns. Who knows. Why do police officers have to wait 7 days for handgun purchases when they carry guns every day? Who knows.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I got it as well. I think it's a normal part of the new 77(r) electronic process, has nothing to do with how many guns you buy. It's only in 2nd review for a few hours to a day. Many people do not notice because they do not check at the right time. Initially I thought mine was due to the off-roster older model. However, that turned out not to be the case.

A few other threads where people note the second review: https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=200883&page=39

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=206532&page=5

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    If you are going make many purchases of regulated firearms it just make sense to become a "Designated Collector". They know exactly how many guns you have so who cares "I'm a collector or Sigs or Glocks or S&W revolvers" so if I have 5 or 100, I'm good in their eyes. Chris

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I j... Why do police officers have to wait 7 days for handgun purchases when they carry guns every day? Who knows.

The same reason why a civilian with a carry permit has to, or a designated collector who already owns 200+ guns has to.... Or someone who has gone through all of the layers of review required for Class III ownership... Maryland is STUPID. :rolleyes:

Ghost40

Apr 29, 2015
    I buy/sell/trade on a regular basis and have never been put through a second review. A while back I did for a long gun purchase. I don't believe it has anything to do with the amount, more so a name or address issue. Since a DC is just a free application to mail in to the MSP, why not do it?

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    I've been under the assumption that 2nd review was when the portion of the check done by the civilian staff is rechecked by an actual sworn trooper.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    I just purchased my second gun this year and went in for a second review. The whole thing was completed on time so I wasn't sure if this was a normal thing. Also, since the LGS dealer had a little difficulty finding my gun on the roster, maybe the MSP did too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom