• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The law prevents residents of New Jersey from downloading, purchasing or sharing instructions or manufacturing parts for printing a firearm using a 3D printer. These firearms, called “ghost guns” because they bypass existing control laws such as background checks and manufacturer’s serial numbers, have been controversial across the nation, with New Jersey Senator Joe Cryan describing them as “pos[ing] a serious threat” because of their untraceable nature.

The new law is a continuation of his ongoing efforts to tighten gun control laws in New Jersey. In June the governor signed six additional gun control laws, including mandatory background checks for gun sales, limiting magazine capacity for handguns, and stricter permit requirements for handgun owners. The new law was criticized by gun rights advocates while before the legislature as “redundant.” The National Rifle Association stated that it is “already against the law to manufacture a firearm without a New Jersey manufacturer’s license,” and that the new law served no purpose.

https://www.jurist.org/news/2018/11...control-bill-to-prohibit-3d-printed-firearms/

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    Because the average gang banger keeps a 3d printer in their crib for just this purpose. Next is parts kits.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    It already takes several months and a background check packet that is literally as big as a basic Secret Clearance one in order to simply get a purchase permit for a handgun in New Jersey. Not sure how much further they can go until they finally figure out more gun control doesn't work. But you're dealing with mentally ill liberals so I guess reality and what they want to see are two totally different things.

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    Gaping hole?

If he makes printing 3D guns illegal, new technology will come along and make it cheap and simple to print 2D guns.

#CantStopTheSignal

5E2806EB-80C7-467B-9EFC-7126B6E02433.jpg

JRussell87

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 9, 2018
    What legitimate reasons are there to be producing non-serialized lowers or frames for non ffl holders?
    Like seriously I want to hope that I'm missing something. I dont see why this should be legal to begin with.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    What legitimate reasons are there to be producing non-serialized lowers or frames for non ffl holders?
    Like seriously I want to hope that I'm missing something. I dont see why this should be legal to begin with.

Not sure if serious... Maybe I'm missing something with respect to this post?

JRussell87

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 9, 2018
    very serious. why would anyone want to make a lower receiver for other than being non serialized? you don't save any money do you?
    I gave an opportunity to enlighten me but I'm going to assume there is no reason but "because i can" until someone drops some knowledge on me.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    very serious. why would anyone want to make a lower receiver for other than being non serialized? you don't save any money do you?
    I gave an opportunity to enlighten me but I'm going to assume there is no reason but "because i can" until someone drops some knowledge on me.

From a technical perspective, a more precision lower can be bought since it was made on precision equipment. Warranties often come with them and in general, for standardized lowers like the AR15, a wide-range of parts can be installed. And yes, it can be cheaper to buy a ready made receive due to economies of scale.

However, there are several reasons to go with a home-made firearm. The satisfaction of building a working machine yourself. The technical education gained in using hand-tools, machine tools like lathes and milling machines, fitting, troubleshooting, gaining a deeper understanding of the working components. This includes field fixes and being able to help other shooters diagnose issues with their firearms. Having a hobby in metalworking, which includes casting, and certainly includes gunsmithing. Exercising a "do-it-yourself" mentality which extends into other areas like self-home repair, car repair, etc.

Why would anyone want to build a model of a ship when he can just buy one? Why would anyone want to learn to fly a drone when he can simply plug into youtube to watch drone footage? Why would any want to restore an old car himself when he can pay someone else to do it?

Oh, and if someone just has to have a serial number on a piece of metal, learn the ATF guidelines and stamp one.

JRussell87

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 9, 2018
    From a technical perspective, a more precision lower can be bought since it was made on precision equipment. Warranties often come with them and in general, for standardized lowers like the AR15, a wide-range of parts can be installed. And yes, it can be cheaper to buy a ready made receive due to economies of scale.

However, there are several reasons to go with a home-made firearm. The satisfaction of building a working machine yourself. The technical education gained in using hand-tools, machine tools like lathes and milling machines, fitting, troubleshooting, gaining a deeper understanding of the working components. This includes field fixes and being able to help other shooters diagnose issues with their firearms. Having a hobby in metalworking, which includes casting, and certainly includes gunsmithing. Exercising a "do-it-yourself" mentality which extends into other areas like self-home repair, car repair, etc.

Why would anyone want to build a model of a ship when he can just buy one? Why would anyone want to learn to fly a drone when he can simply plug into youtube to watch drone footage? Why would any want to restore an old car himself when he can pay someone else to do it?

Oh, and if someone just has to have a serial number on a piece of metal, learn the ATF guidelines and stamp one.
    I can get this for legit machining but 3d printing is not a skill or craft it's a script that the machine translates and does all the work for you all you do is file it smooth and these 80% come with stencils to drill...its about as much as a learning experience as putting together a puzzle with step by step instructions lol. I dont see the appeal for it. not for me but to each there own.
    Have a good night I gotta get up early to pick up my p238 legion my 77r went through this morning

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    I can get this for legit machining but 3d printing is not a skill or craft it's a script that the machine translates and does all the work for you all you do is file it smooth and these 80% come with stencils to drill...its about as much as a learning experience as putting together a puzzle with step by step instructions lol. I dont see the appeal for it. not for me but to each there own.
    Have a good night I gotta get up early to pick up my p238 legion my 77r went through this morning

3D printing may just be a script but all of the work to make that script is a skill/craft. First you need to plan a design, then you need to model it in something like Autodesk Fusion 360, then after who knows how many iterations to get it perfect you have to take it into a slicing program, figure out the best way to print it, make sure you get the temperature and speed settings correct so that half way through the print it doesn’t collapse or spew molten plastic everywhere, and then wait hours for it to print.

Saying 3D printing is not a learning experience is ridiculous.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown

3d printing is a skill. You can’t just throw together a design without knowing anything about 3d printing or the materials involved and expect to have a piece that is going to hold up to use or even print without issues.

As for 80% it takes skill not to screw one up, whether it’s polymer or metal. They provide a jig (or you buy one separately) but if you go too fast with the router you can break the endmill and seriously injure yourself. Go too fast with a drill and have it bind up on you, there goes your wrists when it breaks the crap out of them. Knowing how and when to do or not do something takes experience, experience builds your skill level. It might seem like a jigsaw puzzle to you but don’t dismiss something you don’t understand as not requiring skill or being a craft until you actually try it.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Do you learn calculus in first grade? Do you learn the nuances of internal combustion compression ratios and timings when learning to change oil? Of course not. Even with home-made firearms, the same holds true. Yes, 80% jigs make it easier, but to a true student, it's just a step in the future of building the thing from recycled aluminum cans.

As for 3D printing, I have no experience, but from others' posts on the subject, it sounds like quite the process also. I'm sure there are students of the process who desire to generate a model from "scratch" and eventually see it come to fruition from the printer. The files are but one step in their journey.

I am most interested in using 3D printing to generate an oversized model of an AR15 lower which can then be used in a lost wax process to cast one in aluminum. Lots of steps in that process, but I believe a journey worth exploring.

Open your mind to the journey and cast off the hindrance of the (governmental) naysayers. Well, at least not in NJ - it's now illegal to learn there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    A better question than "Why would I want to make a 3D printed gun (except to have a non-serialized)" is, "Why should the government try to stop me?". As others have said, this requires a machine, if you buy a decent one, that would cost as much as cheap firearm to buy, and if you buy a ready made firearm, you'd get a more durable and probably safer one.

You'll hear brainiacs like Juan Williams claiming they are "invisible" and in the same breath saying the TSA is finding more of them. Much like when Glocks first came out proclaimed a "plastic pistol invisible to x-rays". Hogwash.

"Well, kids and others who can't legally buy a firearm are going to just print one". Yeah, they have laws for that already.

The bottom line is this more legislation like anti "assault weapon" laws that does little to nothing to prevent crime. They are just designed to nickle and dime legitimate firearm owners to death by making it too onerous. The ultimate goal is elimination, not, safety.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    A better question than "Why would I want to make a 3D printed gun (except to have a non-serialized)" is, "Why should the government try to stop me?". As others have said, this requires a machine, if you buy a decent one, that would cost as much as cheap firearm to buy, and if you buy a ready made firearm, you'd get a more durable and probably safer one.

You'll hear brainiacs like Juan Williams claiming they are "invisible" and in the same breath saying the TSA is finding more of them. Much like when Glocks first came out proclaimed a "plastic pistol invisible to x-rays". Hogwash.

"Well, kids and others who can legally buy a firearm are going to just print one". Yeah, they have laws for that already.

The bottom line is this more legislation like anti "assault weapon" laws that does little to nothing to prevent crime. They are just designed to nickle and dime legitimate firearm owners to death by making it too onerous. The ultimate goal is elimination, not, safety.

The government is here to tell us what we can and cannot do.

Why else would our founding fathers have establised this constitutional republic?

:sarcasm:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    The government is here to tell us what we can and cannot do.

Why else would our founding fathers have establised this constitutional republic?

:sarcasm:

Those are dead white men of privilege. Their thoughts don't count. The people who know Oprah's middle name but not the three branches of Government can do better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom