• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ...Trigger feel is very deceptive and is what causes people to gravitate towards single stage triggers....
    Very true. Many people believe they need a much lighter trigger than they actually do, because they perceive a rough or long trigger pull as heavy and/or they have issues with execution.

One of my precision rifles has a very crisp 4-1/2# trigger that many people mistake as being much lighter, while another has a very long and creepy 3# pull that is often thought of as being extremely heavy.

In the end, finger control is the critical factor and good technique is much less affected by variations in trigger action. Most of my students showing up for class with extremely light triggers are satisfied to bring them back up to around 3 to 3-1/2# once they see the correct way to execute trigger pressure and see the loss of fine control with a too-light trigger. Two stage pulls are the bane of the trigger jerker...another reason light pull single stage triggers are so popular.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Very true. Many people believe they need a much lighter trigger than they actually do, because they perceive a rough or long trigger pull as heavy and/or they have issues with execution.

One of my precision rifles has a very crisp 4-1/2# trigger that many people mistake as being much lighter, while another has a very long and creepy 3# pull that is often thought of as being extremely heavy.

In the end, finger control is the critical factor and good technique is much less affected by variations in trigger action. Most of my students showing up for class with extremely light triggers are satisfied to bring them back up to around 3 to 3-1/2# once they see the correct way to execute trigger pressure and see the loss of fine control with a too-light trigger. Two stage pulls are the bane of the trigger jerker...another reason light pull single stage triggers are so popular.

Thank you for adding to the discussion Ed. I always enjoy reading your posts.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I can't speak for him, but usually single stage triggers fail because of fouling or gassing issues.

Single stage triggers usually have springs that function on the edge of reliability when clean and well lubricated.

An overgassed gun is hard on the disconnect and the entire FCG depending on the hammer design. If the hammer is blown back fast enough it will slap the FCG components. This can cause accelerated wear which leads to failures because there is no room for play/error in a single stage.

IME, aftermarket single stage triggers and lightened springs have no place in an AR unless it's a gamer gun, and even then I still say they are foolish. Many people reply back, well why do they make them? Well because companies make what people want, even when it's a bad idea.
    Chad just diagnosed what I saw without actually seeing it. Except I'm a redneck and phrased it as "the hammer and disconnector look all chewed up. Also my trigger won, you're buying at Sheetz." Because I'm real classy and like Sheetz food.

The malfunction we had necessitated disposing of/destroying the fcg in question, and that's all I'm going to say about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom