Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old February 2nd, 2018, 02:10 PM #21
don't drop Aboma on me

don't drop Aboma on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabsroman View Post

What is a copy of a Colt AR-15 Sporter HBAR? According to the MSP, an AR-15 with a barrel marketed as HBAR or stamped as HBAR.
Which in and of itself is also a ridiculous "ruling". Is there any other product in the world that is judged by what it is "marketed or stamped"? Every other product in the world is defined by its physical characteristics.
Old February 2nd, 2018, 03:16 PM #22
Stiff Member

Stiff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericoak View Post
Which in and of itself is also a ridiculous "ruling". Is there any other product in the world that is judged by what it is "marketed or stamped"? Every other product in the world is defined by its physical characteristics.
Apparently you are not aware of gender identity.

Last edited by MULE-JK; February 2nd, 2018 at 03:17 PM. Reason: I forgot to p
MULE-JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2018, 03:26 PM #23

Quote:

What is a copy of a Colt AR-15 Sporter HBAR? According to the MSP, an AR-15 with a barrel marketed as HBAR or stamped as HBAR.
Where did you see this? I thought it had to be marked or advertised as Heavy Barrel. (sorry I don't have any letter to cite this)
Melnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2018, 04:06 PM #24
When All Else Fails.

When All Else Fails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Where did you see this? I thought it had to be marked or advertised as Heavy Barrel. (sorry I don't have any letter to cite this)
He said Marketed as HBAR or Stamped as HBAR.

That covers Advertised as HBAR or Marked as HBAR.
iH8DemLibz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2018, 04:09 PM #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Aren't Hbar, H-BAR, and HEAVY BARREL all the same thing?

(I'm being only slightly sarcastic)
outrider58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2018, 05:17 PM #26

Quote:
Yeah, this is a mess and something that I have addressed elsewhere. Look at the list of rifles in Public Safety 5-101 that are banned. Notice that some have cartridges listed after them, the CAR-15 and Colt AR-15 do not have cartridges listed after them. Therefore, the judiciary will assume that if the legislature wanted to limit the ban to a specific type of rifle that fires a specific cartridge, it would have enumerated it when setting forth CAR-15 and Colt AR-15. The legislature did not do this. However, if you look at Colt rifles, none of them are chambered in anything other than .223/5.56. Next, we have a the "Bushmaster semi-auto rifle" on the list, and MSP is taking the position that all Bushmaster rifles are banned. Bushmaster does make a rifle in .300BLK. Interesting question would be whether Bushmaster makes something in HBAR. Would the carve out in the Colt AR-15/CAR-15 line for the HBAR trump the ban of all Bushmaster semi-auto rifles and their copies?

The AG opinion, dated May 24, 2010, states on page 101:

"a copy of a designated assault weapon must be similar in its internal components and function to the designated weapon."

In the conclusion on page 109, it does on to state:

"in order for a firearm to be considered a copy of a listed assault weapon, and therefore governed by the regulated firearms law, there must be a similarity between the internal components and function of the firearm in question and those of one of the listed weapons. A determination as to whether a particular firearm bears such similarity is a factual question entrusted in the first instance to the Department of State Police. Douglas F. Gansler, Attorney General"

Then, 6 months later, the MSP issued Firearms Bulletin #10-2 on November 4, 2010 stating that a copy must "have completely interchangeable components necessary for the full operation and function of any one of the specifically enumerated assault weapons as defined in Public Safety Title 5 subtitle 1, section 101(P)(2)."

All of this crap is clear as mud.

So, does the ban only apply to AR-15 rifles in .223/5.56? I would love to know this. If so, it would make things a lot easier on my .300BLK SBR build. Anybody have an answer? Personally, I think the ban applies to more than one single cartridge/caliber when it comes to the AR-15. Otherwise, the legislature would have said Colt AR-15/CAR-15 in .223. Then again, Colt never made an AR-15 in anything but .223/5.56. (Somebody correct me if I am wrong).

End of the day, I can make an argument both ways on this one, and then throw in Bushmaster semi-auto rifles in the mix too. Short of this going to court or the MSP/AG really giving us a definitive answer regarding the AR-15 as it applies to cartridges other than .223/5.56 and what constitutes an HBAR, I think we will be left wondering which way a court of law will go on this matter. Oh yeah, I guess we could always hope for the General Assembly to clear this up with .223/5.56 for the Colt AR-15 or "all calibers" for the Colt AR-15, with a definition for HBAR like "a Colt AR-15 that has a barrel diameter of at least .750" through the entire length of the barrel, except for the threading at the end of the barrel for a muzzle device."

Yay, Maryland law is so fun.
It use to be that you couldn't get a Smith & Wesson M&P15 300 AR-15 Upper Receiver Assembly 300 AAC Blackout 16" shipped to Maryland because of the barrel not being HBAR. It does tapper a bit towards the end. I ended up taking the barrel out and replacing it with a Blackhole Weaponry HBAR barrel. To ensure that there were wouldn't be any confusion, BW etched HBAR on the barrel for me. I still own the S&W barrel as it was extremely accurate and even though it was carbine length, the port was perfect as it ate everything from 110 gr pills to 240 gr pills.
ADCOLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2018, 05:47 PM #27
My hair is amazing

My hair is amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULE-JK View Post
How is it possible to fire a .300 BO through a 5.56 barrel? It seems like it might function for one shot, but not as intended.
Not as intended? Like a bullet coming out the barrel?
MSRPA BOD
I touched Heller.....
teratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2018, 06:57 PM #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MULE-JK View Post
How is it possible to fire a .300 BO through a 5.56 barrel? It seems like it might function for one shot, but not as intended.
Yes, you have to use the appropriate ammo.

But anyway, as has been mentioned, the law does not state caliber. So ANY caliber AR-15 should need to be HBAR to be legal.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2018, 07:05 PM #29
My hair is amazing

My hair is amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Yes, you have to use the appropriate ammo.

But anyway, as has been mentioned, the law does not state caliber. So ANY caliber AR-15 should need to be HBAR to be legal.
Every time I pick up a barrel I say “wow, that’s heavy!” Then I get out metal stamps and hammer H, B, A, and R into the barrel as a reminder not to pick it up too fast and hurt my back.
MSRPA BOD
I touched Heller.....
teratos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2018, 11:27 PM #30

Or you could just build an AR pistol, no fuss no muss wrt HBAR.

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles