• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    What's everyone's preference for peeps? I read the marbles and other sights that utilize the tang can affect your thumb and grip angle when firing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    What's everyone's preference for peeps? I read the marbles and other sights that utilize the tang can affect your thumb and grip angle when firing.

I don't know when they dropped the drilled and tapped holes on the side of the receiver, but if yours has them I'd suggest finding an original Lyman or Redfield aperture sight for it. It just looks "right", and the sight itself is a precision piece of machinery to match the rifle. And, functionally, an aperture sight is very fast to bring into alignment, esp with a bright front bead. I've bought several old-style sights from the "Sight Man" at the Chantilly gun show.

JoeR

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    I don't know when they dropped the drilled and tapped holes on the side of the receiver, but if yours has them I'd suggest finding an original Lyman or Redfield aperture sight for it. It just looks "right", and the sight itself is a precision piece of machinery to match the rifle. And, functionally, an aperture sight is very fast to bring into alignment, esp with a bright front bead. I've bought several old-style sights from the "Sight Man" at the Chantilly gun show.

JoeR

I see they dropped the taps in 2001! Some have holes tapped and some do not! Here's to hoping mine does I can't exactly tell from the pictures there looks to be a hole, hopefully it's not a push pin. On the chance that it does not, have you any experience with the tang mounted sights?

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I see they dropped the taps in 2001! Some have holes tapped and some do not! Here's to hoping mine does I can't exactly tell from the pictures there looks to be a hole, hopefully it's not a push pin.

If you don't have the aperture sight holes, you'll certainly have the typical scope holes on the top of the receiver. That would allow you to use a sight like the Skinner
    http://www.skinnersights.com/1895_sight_4.html
    This is a nice elegant little sight. It won't be as repeatable as a Lyman or a Redfield, but if you're using it mostly in a "set it and forget it" mode, this would be a decent option.

On the chance that it does not, have you any experience with the tang mounted sights?

I have a tang sight on my 1885 Browning High-Wall in 45-70. It's not quite as fast for something like Cowboy shooting, but that's probably not your desire in any case. As you noted it might require you to change your thumb location and/or grip.

Texas

Villiage Idiot
    Nov 16, 2016
    Accokeek
    Every couple of years I get an itch for a gun that I "really, really need" the 45.70 is the one that is giving me an itch I need to scratch this year.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    If you don't have the aperture sight holes, you'll certainly have the typical scope holes on the top of the receiver. That would allow you to use a sight like the Skinner
    http://www.skinnersights.com/1895_sight_4.html
    This is a nice elegant little sight. It won't be as repeatable as a Lyman or a Redfield, but if you're using it mostly in a "set it and forget it" mode, this would be a decent option.

I have a tang sight on my 1885 Browning High-Wall in 45-70. It's not quite as fast for something like Cowboy shooting, but that's probably not your desire in any case. As you noted it might require you to change your thumb location and/or grip.

All things considered, I believe I am going with the Skinner Alaskan. No drilling and tapping and a good looking piece.
    Have you had to change the front bead for a skinner?? It does not look like it would be needed but just wondering. All my ducks in a row etc.

-Brent

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    All things considered, I believe I am going with the Skinner Alaskan. No drilling and tapping and a good looking piece.
    Have you had to change the front bead for a skinner?? It does not look like it would be needed but just wondering. All my ducks in a row etc.

Mine was drilled and tapped for a side-mounted sight, so I went with an older Redfield rear sight. It looks identical to this one:

http://www.marlinforum.com/images/1/9/4/6/redfield-peepsight-on-marlin-336-331-full.jpg

JoeR

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver