• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    For those who have hands on experience with this style of carry, what do you like brand wise? I would probably prefer a hybrid holder for gun retention and also for comfort against the skin. I have looked at a few brands but was curious about real world experience rather than "testimonials" you read on their sites.
    Thanks
    --Brent

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

torched02

Rottie's Rule!
    May 6, 2013
    I have a few stealthgear holsters for my various EDC guns and really like them. And I have tried EVERYTHING! Lol.......

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    I've never tried appendix carry because the idea of the firearm pointing at my femoral artery and wenus makes me very nervous. My fear aside, I can see the appeal.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I use a Raven Concealment ACR. Works great. I lived in Seattle for 3-4 months for work and carried everyday. Went to the movies, walked around town doing tourist stuff etc. Its comfortable and concealed my G19 well. I usually wore a under armor type tight shirt under my T shirt to help with comfort and to help keep sweat off the gun but after a few days I stopped and just wore a T shirt. I didn't notice any difference carrying with or with out the shirt between me and the gun. The only thing about adding a leather backing (as most hybrids do) is the added thickness and a G19 is already thick enough. The straight kydex of the ACR isnt a problem for me comfort wise.

I have an INCOG on order so I can carry with my Surefire XC1. If I don't like the INCOG I plan on trying a Raven Concealment Morrigan and possibly porting over my ACR attachments. I also plan on trying the INCOG with my ACR snap belt loops because, at first look, I am not a fan of the plastic belt clips that the INCOG comes with. I will give the plastic clips a chance though.

You should also be looking for a solid belt to go along with the holster, actually more important than the holster itself in my opinion especially for appendix. I recommend TheBeltMan bull leather belts, or Mean Gene Leather. I have tried carrying with a Ares Gear Ranger belt but found it to actually be way to stiff for appendix carry. The gun just jabbed the crap out of me when I moved to much, sat down, bent at the waist etc. The leather belt I have from TheBeltMan has plenty of support to hold the gun but also flexes enough so I can actually move around with out getting bruised up by the gun. For over the waist band (IDPA, USPSA, classes, general range time etc) the Ares Gear Ranger is my go to belt.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You should also be looking for a solid belt to go along with the holster, actually more important than the holster itself in my opinion especially for appendix. I recommend TheBeltMan bull leather belts, or Mean Gene Leather. I have tried carrying with a Ares Gear Ranger belt but found it to actually be way to stiff for appendix carry. The gun just jabbed the crap out of me when I moved to much, sat down, bent at the waist etc. The leather belt I have from TheBeltMan has plenty of support to hold the gun but also flexes enough so I can actually move around with out getting bruised up by the gun. For over the waist band (IDPA, USPSA, classes, general range time etc) the Ares Gear Ranger is my go to belt.

Best OWB belt out there, and I have had MANY. I just bought my 2nd one last month. Well WORTH the money. LaRue has them in stock and available. No need for a month lead time, etc...

Stiff belts aren't so much a necessity for an IWB since it's not being relied on for support. What IS important for IWB holsters are enclosed clips and not open style. Nothing like getting a bad draw and having a holster come out your pants still wrapped around your pistol. I have seen this many times.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I can recommend two based on my personal use.

1. Raven Concealment Eidolon. It is worth the hype. I'm a little guy, and I can conceal a G17 like a G19, and a G19 like a G26. It's that good.

2. Dale Fricke Archangel. Get it with the butt tuck adapter and either their foam wedge or make your own. Top quality workmanship on these.

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    I hear lots of good things about the Incog. I use a White Hat Macro Tuck with my 19 at 4:00. I've heard they work AIWB, but I've never done it.

Last edited:

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    I have an Incog for my G43 and a Bravo concealment for my G27. I have nothing but good things to say about either one (except maybe the price of the Incog).

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Not trying to change your mind, but isn't that a mighty long barrel to comfortably carry that way? Maybe if you're on a walking patrol, but for EDC, I can see where that would get uncomfortable in the appendix carry position. Just my opinion, not judging.

The one thing that I would highly recommend is to buy a nice sturdy gun belt. The little bit that I do carry (around the house or other activities), I found most holsters are extremely more comfortable with a good belt.

Good Luck!

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Not trying to change your mind, but isn't that a mighty long barrel to comfortably carry that way? Maybe if you're on a walking patrol, but for EDC, I can see where that would get uncomfortable in the appendix carry position. Just my opinion, not judging.

The one thing that I would highly recommend is to buy a nice sturdy gun belt. The little bit that I do carry (around the house or other activities), I found most holsters are extremely more comfortable with a good belt.

Good Luck!

Actually, in many ways the longer barreled pistols are easier to carry there (within reason), as the longer barrel can lever the grip into your belly, aiding in concealment. It also keeps the gun from spilling out over the belt when you bend at the waist.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Stiff belts aren't so much a necessity for an IWB since it's not being relied on for support. What IS important for IWB holsters are enclosed clips and not open style. Nothing like getting a bad draw and having a holster come out your pants still wrapped around your pistol. I have seen this many times.

I agree on the clips. I am not convinced about the INCOG clips security but I will give them a chance because they are designed in such a way to aid in pushing the holster closer to the body. If they suck I will just bolt on my Raven soft loops and their amazing press the dot snaps (I think that's what they are called) that are insanely secure.

Good Luck!

I have sat though a bunch of movies while appendix carrying my G19. I didn't have any problems. . . but evidently the gun is a great insulator because it does get quite hot down there if I am just sitting still and not moving around. :lol2:

Spare mag wise I use a Dale Fricke IWB Archangel single mag pouch. It sits nicely right next to my holster. I will have to see how it sits with the INCOG though. I carry a spare G17 mag, much easier to grab than a G19 mag. I got the mag pouch a long time ago and it looks like he makes a specific G19 and G17 mag pouch which might fix my issue with grabbing the G19 mag. Right now the G19 mag doesn't stick that far out of my current pouch making it hard to get to, maybe the G19 specific pouch will alleviate this problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom