• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Defense Rifle

Jul 1, 2016
    NC
    I'm moving out of Maryland and to North Carolina, just wanted to get the run down on the gun laws there. Apologies if this is the wrong section, wasn't sure exactly where this would go.

From what I've read so far, you need a permit to purchase a handgun, duty to inform, no-gun signs are enforceable, open carry legal without permit, concealed-carry allowed with permit-only.

Seems like they are stricter than other states when it comes to purchasing handguns, apparently a local Sheriff has the decision to issue you a permit or not. I have a Maryland HQL--could I use that for the training requirement (NC pistol permit has training requirement)?

Any other general information I should know? Thank you in advance.

Defense Rifle

Jul 1, 2016
    NC
    Thanks for sharing the links.

One thing I am unclear of is this: Will NC honor my non-resident Utah concealed carry permit, even if I become a resident of the state? Or is the non-resident Utah permit only valid in NC if I am "visiting" as opposed to becoming a new-resident of NC?

According to the link below, NC does honor the non-resident Utah permit, just not sure if it still applies if you're a new resident of NC and no longer a visitor. I will ask around on the NC gun forum as well, thanks.

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

SigP226

Jul 22, 2011
    Youngsville, NC
    Welcome to NC. The pistol permit requires no training requirements. Just fill out the application, give it to the sheriff of your county of residence and his office does the background checks. You can then get three permits for five bucks each, and show one to your FFL when buying a handgun. Long guns such as AR-15s simply require the NICS check. Good luck.....and where you moving to?

herkybird72

2A Defender
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2011
    Freedomland,NC
    Welcome to NC. As stated in other posts training is not required to obtain a handgun purchase permit however, it is required (it must be a NC course) for a concealed carry permit. The advantage of a NC concealed carry permit is you don’t have to get a permit to purchase each time. NC is a shall issue state. Please join Grass Roots North Carolina when you get here.

herkybird72

2A Defender
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2011
    Freedomland,NC
    Thanks for sharing the links.

One thing I am unclear of is this: Will NC honor my non-resident Utah concealed carry permit, even if I become a resident of the state? Or is the non-resident Utah permit only valid in NC if I am "visiting" as opposed to becoming a new-resident of NC?

According to the link below, NC does honor the non-resident Utah permit, just not sure if it still applies if you're a new resident of NC and no longer a visitor. I will ask around on the NC gun forum as well, thanks.

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

I used my Utah to carry when I first moved here with no issues until I got my NC permit. Remember you must follow NC laws ie: duty to inform etc. I also let Utah know my new address.

j.smooth4

Feb 24, 2017
    Laurel, MD
    Welcome to NC. The pistol permit requires no training requirements. Just fill out the application, give it to the sheriff of your county of residence and his office does the background checks. You can then get three permits for five bucks each, and show one to your FFL when buying a handgun. Long guns such as AR-15s simply require the NICS check. Good luck.....and where you moving to?

I didnt know nc was so strict on handguns. I'm worried NC and FL are going to get more antigun as the years go on. A lot of my friends from college live in charlotte and most of the implants are liberal and antigun.

These are two states I'm considering moving to and getting settled down at.

SigP226

Jul 22, 2011
    Youngsville, NC
    Not really all that strict, from what I’ve read, the pistol permit dates back to the old Jim Crow days, or something. I could be wrong...... And has been noted, once you get your CCW, you don’t need any permits, just show that, no further NICS checks or anything. After moving here four years ago after 29 years in MoCo, it is a different world. You can buy an AR-15, open carry, and NC is a Shall issue state, so, my few cents.

Defense Rifle

Jul 1, 2016
    NC
    Not really all that strict, from what I’ve read, the pistol permit dates back to the old Jim Crow days, or something. I could be wrong...... And has been noted, once you get your CCW, you don’t need any permits, just show that, no further NICS checks or anything. After moving here four years ago after 29 years in MoCo, it is a different world. You can buy an AR-15, open carry, and NC is a Shall issue state, so, my few cents.

I think its so stupid you have to get a permit each time you want to purchase a pistol--for those that don't have a NC CCW. I get it the Sheriff association lobbies for the permits as a source of revenue, but that should stop.

NRA and other 2A orgs need to raise this issue with North Carolina GOP.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Warning to Marylanders relocating to NC, or just driving through: Do NOT allow yourself to be so distracted in awe and glee that you run off the road, when coming across full size highway billboards along NC Rte. 40 and other major state highways, proudly bearing advertisements such as, "GLOCK Firearms and Accessories, Next Exit, 2 mi." These are signs not uncommonly seen in Free America, and we just aren't used to them. Drive Safely. Then take the next exit, in 2 mi.

Azmo

Sep 7, 2011
    Calvert County
    Wife and I already purchased our 10 acre 'last home' site just south of Forest City NC, not too far from Hendersonville area. Our realtor was out of Hendersonville and is recommended for how much work she did for us. We are hoping to start build in 2019 and be out of Marylandistan shortly thereafter. We will both be looking to get our NC conceal permits then.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Wife and I already purchased our 10 acre 'last home' site just south of Forest City NC, not too far from Hendersonville area. Our realtor was out of Hendersonville and is recommended for how much work she did for us. We are hoping to start build in 2019 and be out of Marylandistan shortly thereafter. We will both be looking to get our NC conceal permits then.

I happen to know where Forest City is in NC. I went to a boarding academy in Fletcher NC, which is north of Hendersonville along Hwy 25. An outstanding area to move to and have fun caving at Chimmy Rock and the natural water slide in Mt.Pisgah National Forest. Make sure you get over to Cherokee land to see the Play, Unto these Hills.Here is the link to the play :::http://www.cherokeesmokies.com/unto_these_hills.html

Enjoy your self their. Also the Blue Ridge Parkway is not that far away from their as well plus you are about 60 miles to Charlotte NC .

Azmo

Sep 7, 2011
    Calvert County
    I happen to know where Forest City is in NC. I went to a boarding academy in Fletcher NC, which is north of Hendersonville along Hwy 25. An outstanding area to move to and have fun caving at Chimmy Rock and the natural water slide in Mt.Pisgah National Forest. Make sure you get over to Cherokee land to see the Play, Unto these Hills.Here is the link to the play :::http://www.cherokeesmokies.com/unto_these_hills.html

Enjoy your self their. Also the Blue Ridge Parkway is not that far away from their as well.

Not as posh as your pic, but we have a 33' Fleetwood Flair that is going with us and we definitely intend to hit all the sites around the state first. We've already been down in it and are looking forward to 'retirement'.

Defense Rifle

Jul 1, 2016
    NC
    I used my Utah to carry when I first moved here with no issues until I got my NC permit. Remember you must follow NC laws ie: duty to inform etc. I also let Utah know my new address.

Thank you for the very helpful info! I'm now living in North Carolina. Just getting settled here and will update my Utah.

Glad to know I now live in a state that respects the 2A and stand your ground law way more than Maryland.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom