Tac Sol AR22 dedicated upper, DEAD or Other?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sigrug17

Jun 22, 2009
    Gaithersburg
    Trying to see if anyone else has had problems, or hopefully a solution to the maybe death of my Tac Solutions dedicated upper AR22 problem. (note: I have cleaned it after every range, and long use session)

So, it ran super smooth for the 1st 2k rounds or so. Then, I brought it out to the range last week. Click bang, click nothing. ... and this went on with me manually cycling the bolt and the bolt working to eject the spent casing and putting a fresh one in then click and no bang, this happened every time it went off and then the next round not. (click bang, click nothing..but 6-10 times its just click nothing)

-- I've cycled 3-4 different kinds of ammo with the same results
    -- I've changed two different lowers with the same results
    -- I've tried all 15 of my blackdog mags (brand new & used) same results
    -- I actually ordered the Tac Sol AR22 maintenance kit and changed out the spring, and striker pin. ... same results ???? :tdown:

Would appreciate any ideas or help. THANKS MUCH!

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    Since a fresh round is being chambered, my bet is the bolt isn't fully going into battery and hammer energy is being used up whacking the bolt home rather than hitting the primer.

Chamber a round and fire the gun, but before trying to fire it a second time look for a gap between the bolt face and the breech. If this is the cause, you most likely either have a burr on the breech face (dryfire damage?) or a dirty chamber that would benefit from a good wire brushing/polishing.

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    My brother has one and had the same problem from one dry fire. It bend the firing pin and burred the chamber. The burr resulted in failure to fire after pin replacement. Lightly filed and polished burr out. FTF eliminated, back to normal function.

bullbarrel

Apr 28, 2009
    western maryland
    I'm the brother,I had the same issue.Yes if you dry fired the weapon one time it bends the firing pin and ,causing misfire.Sure you all know, but never dry fire a rimfire weapon.anyway just buy a bolt rebuild kit from tac-sol and it's as good as new.Also take a look at the barrel extension where the firing pin hit it.mine left a bur of metal and did not feed properly,file it down smooth again.the gun will be like the day you bought it.just remember after cleaning not to dry fire by accident.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    My tale of woe with a tacsol upper.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=55698&highlight=Tactical+solutions

Tacsol's uppers are super-finicky. Update to that post: Even after a barrel replacement, complete bolt replacement, a new trigger group that THEY GAVE ME AND INSTALLED, it still has occasional cycling issues. I'm hoping it just needs to break in.

Good luck with your problem. One question: when you changed the firing pin, did you clean out the firing pin tunnel? Mine gets pretty sticky after ~200 rounds of subsonic.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    .22LR uppers are finicky, period. That's what you get with a blow-back design, especially one that's retro-fitted; you've got to have the energy to cycle the bolt all the way, and not all .22LR ammo seems to do that. And, what's worse, ammo that used to work might not work in the future, because it seems like .22LR quality is cyclic for many brands.

CMMG seems to have made some progress in the area of .22LR reliability and features, though...

bullbarrel

Apr 28, 2009
    western maryland
    My tale of woe with a tacsol upper.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=55698&highlight=Tactical+solutions

Tacsol's uppers are super-finicky. Update to that post: Even after a barrel replacement, complete bolt replacement, a new trigger group that THEY GAVE ME AND INSTALLED, it still has occasional cycling issues. I'm hoping it just needs to break in.

Good luck with your problem. One question: when you changed the firing pin, did you clean out the firing pin tunnel? Mine gets pretty sticky after ~200 rounds of subsonic.

This is true also,make sure the firing pin slot in the bolt is cleaned good and moves free.ar15 22 bolts are know for this stick'n problem after alot of rounds.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    sigrug17 - you have lots of good advice here.
    Any chance you can post a nice clear closeup photo of the breech?

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    .22LR uppers are finicky, period. That's what you get with a blow-back design, especially one that's retro-fitted; you've got to have the energy to cycle the bolt all the way, and not all .22LR ammo seems to do that. And, what's worse, ammo that used to work might not work in the future, because it seems like .22LR quality is cyclic for many brands.

CMMG seems to have made some progress in the area of .22LR reliability and features, though...

My CMMG dedicated upper is one of my most reliable 22's. The first bolt I had went through about 3000 rounds without a single malfunction, including 500 rounds at time with a suppressor. Unfortunately, the endplate of the bolt carrier just fell off one day. CMMMG took good care of me and shipped out a brand new one and it has been running great. I usually shoot a box of 550 value pack ammo every time I shoot it. One trick is to use a drill and cleaning rod/brush to buzz the chamber every so often.

bullbarrel

Apr 28, 2009
    western maryland
    one more thing,I forgot to mention.If you shoot crap 22 ammo ,you will have problems.In alot of cases good 22 ammo makes a big difference.I only shoot CCI mini mags out of my tac-sol upper and every 22 I own really.But it's because I found it to be more accurate and reliable ammo of all the 22's I found.Try that after the gun repair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom