• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • takoma

Roving Bandito
    Apr 30, 2011
    Washington, DC
    Question: if I'm mounting a Mueller APV scope to my Savage Mk II with a picatinny rail mount, can I use Weaver-type scope rings?

Also, I'm assuming I can use low height rings? Actually it's a 40mm objective, so I may have to go with medium...

<< Note: I pushed this up to a new post from the "magnification range" thread >>

takoma

Roving Bandito
    Apr 30, 2011
    Washington, DC
    I believe I've answered my own question -- you can use Weaver rings on a Picatinny rail, but not vice-versa (or at least not reliably).

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    i was actually curious in a different way about this. Because the rail is slightly elevated on the mkii, would you need tall rings? The scope would already have something like an inch of elevation.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    You can go both ways. The Weaver and Picatinny rails are spaced differently, so if your rings are on a scope you need to loosen the rings and fit it on the other base. It's a PIA if you switch back and forth, but once set you are fine.

Good luck

Jerry

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    My understanding is that Weaver rails do not confirm to any particular standard spacing between the cross-slots, unlike Picatinny. For this reason you can use Weaver mounts on a Pic rail, but Pic mounts requiring more than a single slot probably won't fit a Weaver rail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom