Had to significantly drift rear sight on SR9C, what could be wrong?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LibertyGun

May 19, 2014
    District 14, PRM
    I have a new SR9C that I've been to the range with a couple times that consistently shot far to the right, even at short distances like 7-10 yards. I'm shooting nothing exotic, just American Eagle FMJ.

I have a bore sight tool (Site Lite SL 100) I stuck in there and low and behold at 25 feet, sights were pointing a good 6-8 inches to left of the dot (ie would shoot 6-8 inches to the right). I drifted the rear sight so the sights now point to the bore sight dot but am surprised at how far I had to drift the rear sight. The rear sight base is near flush with the left side of the slide and very visibly off center. This doesn't make sense to me, is this a "normal" adjustment or what could be the issue that could cause such a misalignment?

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    I have a new SR9C that I've been to the range with a couple times that consistently shot far to the right, even at short distances like 7-10 yards. I'm shooting nothing exotic, just American Eagle FMJ.

I have a bore sight tool (Site Lite SL 100) I stuck in there and low and behold at 25 feet, sights were pointing a good 6-8 inches to left of the dot (ie would shoot 6-8 inches to the right). I drifted the rear sight so the sights now point to the bore sight dot but am surprised at how far I had to drift the rear sight. The rear sight base is near flush with the left side of the slide and very visibly off center. This doesn't make sense to me, is this a "normal" adjustment or what could be the issue that could cause such a misalignment?
    Immediate thought is the front sight centered?

4guyz1stool

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 16, 2017
    How experienced of a shooter are you, and have you had someone else shoot it? Boresight or not, you have to rule out human error.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I had the same thing happen with my Henry Survival rifle. I would shoot a couple of rounds and then be way off target. Adjust it and it would happen again. Ended with the front sight blade falling off.

Turns out that the cause was that it is a POS. Sometimes that is the answer.

I really need to list that in the classifieds.:D

LibertyGun

May 19, 2014
    District 14, PRM
    So how did it shoot before you moved the sights ?
    To the right

How experienced of a shooter are you, and have you had someone else shoot it? Boresight or not, you have to rule out human error.
    I mount it in clamp, stand behind it and align the front and rear sights for a sight picture on a target 25 feet away, the bore sight dot is 6-8 inches to the right. That seems to rule out the human element.

I'm thinking I have to call Ruger on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom