• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    Is there any legal issue with modifying a pistol brace? Not modifying the braces locking mechanism at all but as in dremeling some material off in order to get a QD sling mount attached underneath on the rear sling mount. Im mainly referring to the shockwave blade in this example and i figured i ask it here before i permanently alter mine. thanks

(found the image online and circled the area of which Im referring)

Attachments

• shockwavelower2.1.jpg
      shockwavelower2.1.jpg
      27.1 KB · Views: 343

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The overwhelming consensus is to not alter the brace. There are options that do not require alterations.

Like this:

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/POF_AR15_Receiver_Extension_End_Plate_AMBI_QD_Moun_p/pof-00781.htm

I know LWRC also makes one. There are others out there as well

There are tons of options that will allow you to leave the 'Blade' intact. Altering it the way you are saying shouldn't bring you any trouble, but you could end up causing a malfuction if you don't do things right. Try Googling "end plate sling attachment for ar 15" you will see many ops.

Attachments

• qd.jpg
      qd.jpg
      23.2 KB · Views: 273

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    ended up doing it so i could get a sling on there. perhaps i should have been more specific as to why i was cutting that piece off but the law folder made things slightly more difficult when choosing sling mount options. Also, the extra 1.3 inches on the receiver extension made me want the stock as close in as possible but i found my solution so i can easily remove the QD if needed. I have yet to read anything that states that this simple modification would be illegal though

Attachments

• IMG_4034.jpg
      IMG_4034.jpg
      40.1 KB · Views: 231

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    There are tons of options that will allow you to leave the 'Blade' intact. Altering it the way you are saying shouldn't bring you any trouble, but you could end up causing a malfuction if you don't do things right. Try Googling "end plate sling attachment for ar 15" you will see many ops.

Beat me to it.

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    Do not modify yours or any brace!

Why?

Is this just a "6th monkey" kind of rule, or is there an actual basis in fact or a ruling from FTB that can be cited? Because I've never read anything in the numerous opinions (or reversals of opinions) from FTB stating that physical modifications to allow the use of a sling attachment point were prohibited.

And unless something is specifically prohibited, then it is permissible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom