Are manufacturers missing out on a home defense revolver market?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    The challenge with giving someone that can't rack a slide a pre-loaded semi with a big magazine is what does she do if she limp wrists the Glock (yes, it is possible to limp wrist a Glock, I've seen it) and gets a stovepipe? She is in big trouble.

I'm a 1911 guy, so I appreciate your respect of it, but remember that the 1911 with a stock mag only holds 7 rounds, one more than most 4" revolvers. Even today's 8 round 1911 magazines are matched by many 8 shot revolvers. Here is a great article on the viability of the 8 shot revolver as a home defense firearm: https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2015/11/23/eight-shot-alternatives-to-semi-autos/

k

Excellent article thx!

Also consider the 7 and 8 shot 9mm revolvers. Much cheaper to shoot, and power is generally between .357 and .38spl

Also consider the carbine version of the judge, called the circuit judge:

86b2e5586b4eba6c0f4cc54330f849f7.jpg

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I agree with the OP. I think there is a market there which has been ignored. My suggestion is for a .32Mag or .327 since it may let you get another round in the chamber over a .357/38 and would have less recoil. If you can get 8 .357s into some cylinders I would expect 9 .32 may fit. Put a rail on it top/bottom with a grip frame which could be make thick/thin for different hand sizes.

Many states have a 10rd limit still so an 8 or 9 shot revolver is giving up little in those states but gains in simplicity.

No, won't be for everyone but I do think it would sell if done right. I would buy one since the Wife doesn't do autos well and I really think 8rds will do what I need done while I get to my AR.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    My go to gun in a HD situation is my S&W 686 SSR 4" loaded with 38 Special +P...

It's simple, it's flawless & it never jams & it has a very mild recoil...

It's point & shoot in the house...

I know can get the job done with 6 shots...

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Revolvers suck. They've been outclassed since the 1911 hit the market.
    Now are there people that may want a revolver for HD? Sure but they're for the vast majority uneducated and undertrained.

Take my mother for example. She can't work the slide effectively on a Glock but can shoot it effectively. Solution? She has my 9mm Glock with a 33 round mag (she purchased in PA) filled with Federal HST's. Why? Because the Glock is more reliable and recoils less than her 4" Model 13-2 and has a Streamlight TLR-1 HL with a remote contour switch. She's confident and that's all that matters.

This is exactly why manufacturers do not push revolvers and sums it up for the original question. Mom can have 33 rounds at her fingertips and not have to worry about operating the slide or worry about being undertrained or knowledgeable because 32 rounds inspires confidence.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    .38 special Ruger lcrx 3 in. with Crimson Trace laser grips is probably as close as you can get to great for her situation. I haven't been able to find a light for it yet but I bet someone makes one. Of course capacity is 5. Trigger is awesome, size is excellent.

I do not own a LCRx nor would I suggest it as the best home defense gun, just trying to find something close to the OP's wonder revolver requirements. Personally I'd recommend a Glock 19 and some training.

I do own a LCR, still not my choice for home defense.

Last edited:

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    My opinion: Most revolver guys aren't going to go for some new tacticool wheel gun with rails and lights and lasers and most tacticool home-defense guys think revolvers are stupid...somewhat evidenced by the above responses.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    My only issue with a revolver in a HD situation is if you may have to reload. You've taken a simple tool and made it almost impossible for the average person to utilize after the initial shots. At least with a semi auto, you press a button, let the old mag fall out, then place another mag into the handgun and it's ready to go.

Can't say it's that easy with a revolver.

Add to that the fumbling with ammo, lighting conditions and the stress of the situation. Nope, I wouldn't want that for me, much less someone with a lot less experience.

But anything is better than nothing.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Not being able to work the slide on a handgun is purely due to training and confidence....especially for an adult. For a right handed shooter, straighten the shooting arm, cant the slide to the left, grab the back with meat of your left hand(thumb forward), and keep elbows straight as you use chest and shoulder muscles to drive the frame forward.

Another way to get a light slide is pickup something hanmer-fired. The hammer spring acts as a second recoil spring, so the recoil springs are usually lighter. Another way to make it easier is to mount an rmr up top. That allows you to basically just use the rmr on and sturdy surface to hold the slide for you as you push the frame forward.

If 8 year old kids can run semiautos in competition, a full grown female should have no problem. A .22 for defense is just not a good solution to a training problem.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    Not being able to work the slide on a handgun is purely due to training and confidence....especially for an adult. For a right handed shooter, straighten the shooting arm, cant the slide to the left, grab the back with meat of your left hand(thumb forward), and keep elbows straight as you use chest and shoulder muscles to drive the frame forward.

Another way to get a light slide is pickup something hanmer-fired. The hammer spring acts as a second recoil spring, so the recoil springs are usually lighter. Another way to make it easier is to mount an rmr up top. That allows you to basically just use the rmr on and sturdy surface to hold the slide for you as you push the frame forward.

If 8 year old kids can run semiautos in competition, a full grown female should have no problem. A .22 for defense is just not a good solution to a training problem.

S&W should make a 20 round .22 revolver with a 3lb DAO trigger and call it the GrannySmith.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD

I completely disagree. My wife has a lot of problems reliably cycling my 9mm home defense gun. It's not that she doesn't have the strength to physically pull it back, it's that she struggles to grip slide with enough force. Now, there are a lot of things that I can do to help alleviate this....grip tape, competition side cocking handle etc.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    S&W should make a 20 round .22 revolver with a 3lb DAO trigger and call it the GrannySmith.
    It would have to be available in green. I can see how it would be useful if you plan on slicing the pie.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I completely disagree. My wife has a lot of problems reliably cycling my 9mm home defense gun. It's not that she doesn't have the strength to physically pull it back, it's that she struggles to grip slide with enough force. Now, there are a lot of things that I can do to help alleviate this....grip tape, competition side cocking handle etc.

People say that... and then that 100lb woman grabs a running 50 lb kid by the hand and is somehow able to pull the kid to a complete stop. Or ask them to pump up a super-soaker with more resistance and they're fine working it.

In wrestling, I recruited my buddy, pat, to the team. He was a big jacked 200 lb dude and I wrestled at 140. In practice for the first few weeks, I completely mauled him every day. He had much more strength than me, but didn't know how to use it. After a while, he got up to speed and suddenly I had to rely on technique and couldn't just overpower him on moves.

For most new shooters, working a slide is similar. They can easily carry 30 lbs of groceries, but pulling back a slide against a 17 lb spring seems impossible. It's one reason the technique of the holding the slide with a straight arm, while thinking of pushing the grip forward can be successful. It's a different mindset to just not let go of the slide as you push the frame forward vs imagining pulling it back.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    Revolvers suck. They've been outclassed since the 1911 hit the market.
    Now are there people that may want a revolver for HD? Sure but they're for the vast majority uneducated and undertrained.

Take my mother for example. She can't work the slide effectively on a Glock but can shoot it effectively. Solution? She has my 9mm Glock with a 33 round mag (she purchased in PA) filled with Federal HST's. Why? Because the Glock is more reliable and recoils less than her 4" Model 13-2 and has a Streamlight TLR-1 HL with a remote contour switch. She's confident and that's all that matters.

Kind of a myopic point of view.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    One thing not mentioned is that if the wife is unable to rack the slide of a semi-automatic comfortably due to strength issues, is she going to be comfortable pulling the usually much more stout and longer trigger pull of a double action revolver? I've got a Ruger LCR that has an extremely easy trigger pull but I took a friend and his wife to the range and while she shot an M&P 9 easily she had trouble with the LCR. Just a consideration to throw in the mix.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    In the last 100 years, .38 spl revolvers and shotguns have probably ended more breakins and home invasions than all the glockomatics and ARs combined. Unless you run a drug stashhouse and your adversaries come prepared, most home defense situations are over in 3 rounds. If you need more than 6 rounds, just grab that second revolver you have stashed upside down in the same FAS1 safe.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Revolver manufacturers are not missing out on the home defense market. The ignorant and untrained are not promoting them. They love selling hollywood's "gats".

Burns me up to no end when at any box store gun retailer that the dope behind the counter has zero clue. Man and wife come in looking for a basic pistol for the house. I have yet to see them show a revolver to these couples. Revolvers aren't cool looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom