• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I'm sorry gentlemen but I've lived here my whole life (a native Marylander of nearly six decades) and I think we're only fooling ourselves if we think we'll ever have "shall" issue or open carry in Maryland. I personally think we should brace for even more gun restrictions at the state level given the expanded powers of the AG fueling his arrogance and the violence of the Left nationwide. It's Maryland - Any Excuse, Truth and Facts Be Damned!

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Why can't legislation for a permitting process like PA i.e. good statewide except Philly be proposed? MD's "Philly" could be the city, which I avoid like the plaque anyways, and result would be "no more guns in City"....

PA's permitting system is county based. I believe if you did this in MD, you would end up in a situation where there would be no permits issued in any of the I-95 counties except possibly Cecil County and maybe some in Harford County.

I suspect that also the counties would want more individual control over gun laws, right now, individual counties are limited in what gun control they can pass by state preemption laws. I could easily see a system where PG, MoCo, HoCo, Balt, BaltCo, make laws that say permits issued by other counties in MD are not valid in their respective counties. Even worse, they could possibly enact their own, more draconian laws, and remember that roads aren't always marked when you change countries. imagine that while driving home through Pro-2A Frederick and you encounter a road closure, which forces a detour through a small part of Howard County, which has just enacted a new ordinance forbidding guns in cars except when going directly to or from the gun range, or gun store. Oh yeah, it's 10pm on a Sunday.

Ending state preemption of gun laws and doing a PA style system would, end the end, I think, be a more a curse than a blessing.

Kaffakid

May 14, 2017
    DC
    I wish I could say I was optimistic, but living in Montgomery County, even shooting a pellet pistol in my back yard is a felony.

I grew up a stones throw from Bethesda (literally). MontCo is so ridiculous. I don't talk politics/guns with anyone in DC/MontCo/Fairfax unless I know they're friendlies. There's no point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    yep, exactly. I grew up in Chevy Chase and Bethesda too.No one is going to change anyone's mind on this stuff. That's why all the arguments on FB and Twitter seem like such a giant waste of time an effort.

I'd much rather waste my time here conversing with sane, rational, like minded individuals with the occasional sprinkling of liberal loons who drop in from time to time.

They are normally dealt with in short order.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I'm sorry gentlemen but I've lived here my whole life (a native Marylander of nearly six decades) and I think we're only fooling ourselves if we think we'll ever have "shall" issue or open carry in Maryland. I personally think we should brace for even more gun restrictions at the state level given the expanded powers of the AG fueling his arrogance and the violence of the Left nationwide. It's Maryland - Any Excuse, Truth and Facts Be Damned!

I have the feeling that Moustache Boy will at some point step over the line and get a Federal smackdown that will reverberate throughout the General Assembly. :fingerscrossed:

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD

Remember how Illinois was a lock-out and Boom, they were Shall Issue via a court decision?

That happened because Illinois over-reached big time and lost their whole scheme. Maryland is a classic over-reach state so I fully expect MD to be Shall Issue one day because Libtard moves.

Even if Trump is somehow forced to resign, we will have a Pence Republican administration and even more US Supreme court vacancies filled.

We are so far ahead of where we were last Fall.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I wish I could say I was optimistic, but living in Montgomery County, even shooting a pellet pistol in my back yard is a felony. The liberals in my area are the types that if you said you wanted to carry a gun for protection against bears, they'd say you shouldn't be intruding on animals on their turf. My wife saw someone cutting down a tree and she said suddenly her neighbor came running out of her house screaming and in tears. It was the neighbor on the other side who was doing the cutting and our neighbor (a hugger of embarrassing proportions) was coming apart emotionally. My wife did what she could to calm the woman down, but she would have none of it. We knew she was outspokenly anti-gun from other conversations (liberals in this state carry on conversations without the slightest concern whatsoever that you could possibly ever have different views -- that would be absurd). Anyway, if trees could have guns in Maryland for protection, my neighbor would sign on in a heartbeat. Bears, too, but not people.

That would be dangerous.

If this woman knew I had guns, I don't believe she could sleep at night. In fact, she might have an emotional breakdown.

God, I hate this state.

So, you want change in this state, you live in Montgomery County, your neighbor has brought up the subject, and you remain mum on your stance that you are pro-gun and you own guns? My brother in-law and sister live in Chevy Chase. They own a decent amount of guns. He lets his neighbors know that. One day, he was out talking to his neighbors and they asked to see what he owned. He took them inside, open the gun safe, and they said "JESUS CHRIST!!!!!!!!' Then, one noticed that a revolver was loaded and he started giving my BIL crap. Wasn't he worried about the kids getting it? BIL responded with, "This is why they are in a safe that my kids do not know the combo to."

They kept on talking

Neighbor: Well, you must have stocks of food and water then too.

BIL: Nope

Neighbor: You have all these guns just in case something bad happens, but you do not have food and water?

BIL: Do you have food and water stored?

Neighbor, "Yes".

BIL: Do you have a gun?

Neighbor: Nope

BIL: Then I have good and water stored.

Neighbor: But you just said you do not.

BIL: Well, I have a large box and guns.

Neighbor: I am not following you.

BIL: Well, I have a large box and guns. You have food and water, but no guns. I'll come over your place with my box and guns and get the water and food from you.

Neighbor: But that is for my family.

BIL: If things are that bad, you might want to think about owning a gun then.

Think the light bulb finally went off in the neighbor's head.

Anyway, you might want to think about changing the minds of the people in the county you live in. Too many closet conservatives in Montgomery County. Most of my clients, a lot of which are in Montgomery County, know I am a gun owner and we talk about it sometimes. Take some neighbors shooting.

What would you have those of us with conservative reps and conservative neighbors do? These people are already on our side, so there is nothing we can do. Montgomery County and PG County are the big problems, and Gerrymandering is another problem.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Remember how Illinois was a lock-out and Boom, they were Shall Issue via a court decision?

That happened because Illinois over-reached big time and lost their whole scheme. Maryland is a classic over-reach state so I fully expect MD to be Shall Issue one day because Libtard moves.

Even if Trump is somehow forced to resign, we will have a Pence Republican administration and even more US Supreme court vacancies filled.

Exactly this. We are so far ahead of where we were in 2013. The stance on "assault weapons" has changed a lot over the past 5 years throughout the nation. Same goes for CCW. Maryland is just full of hard headed people that actually think the war on drugs is being won, and the war on guns can be won.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Are you registered to vote, OP?
    Yep, registered in Montgomery County, which means every vote I cast is successfully negated by someone else.

Now this same garbage is infiltrating northern Virginia. I used to be proud of being from Virginia. Still am, really, but I despise the people who are destroying it by moving into it. Yeeeesh.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Fights with winning are rarely easy. One of my children and four of my grandchildren live in Maryland. I may not live to see the change, but I'm going to try and make it so they can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Welcome back Bokedol ! Glad to see you back after almost 5 years .

Md vs MA :

Don't get me wrong, both are on the short list of extreme Suck, and Pa is a far better place than either.

Md vs MA head to head is a mixed bag .
    MA is worse on "Evil looking Rifles" . Md's Handgun Roster is (@$!#), and pain in the butt, but eventually 99.999% are approved, and once approved they stay approved.
    Md made a big leap wrong direction in 2013 , but Ma is still worse to *purchase* a handgun.

Annnnd , Carry is the remaining Big Issue.

Md is uniform statewide, MA issues at City/ Town/ Village level . From when I last looked into it, some jurisdictions were defacto no issue, some were permissive-ish May Issue, and everything in between. All subject to change upon change in municipal administration , or local Chief of Police.

If you place highest priority on CCW, and either accidentally live in gun friendly municipality, or move to get into one, you may Officially look down upon us . But the worst MA jurisdictions probably wish they had Md State Police instead.

We can both say " Thank God we aren't New Jersey ".

On a humorous note :

Maryland has Blue Crabs, Chesapeake Bay, Southern Maryland Stuffed Ham, and real mountains.
    Marylanders don't have a funny accent.
    We have fewer Yankees .
    We only have distant shirt tail Kennedys.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I tend to agree BUT, I didn't believe that Trump could get Elected either...

In any event 61.3% of your fellow Merry-Landers voted against Trump...

So they voted for Hillary, for Gun Control, for Sanctuary Cities & for Obamacare...

The Merry-Land Legislature simply doesn't want us carrying guns...

BUT it is possible that things could change, BUT don't hold you breath...

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland

I agree, we are "far ahead" on the federal level, but on the state level, status quo at best, more liberal creep - mostly likely. Ask the old-time residents of Frederick, Carroll, Howard and Harford Counties.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Join the fight
    https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/join

The truth is that our legislature is simply too anti-self defense and we currently have a rabidly anti-gun Attorney General. We need more pro-gun legislators in the General Assembly and need to work to change at least a few minds there. We have a governor who is not an enemy and is not pushing for more negative laws. The process still stinks for getting a permit in MD, but it is -slightly- better than it was prior to him.

2018 elections are coming up and it's critical that everyone vote.

For a legislative recap of what was accomplished during our most recent session, look here: https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/legislation-tracker/59-2017-legislative-session-recap

Meanwhile, there are a number of court cases making their way thru the system that may affect our current laws later on.

Peruta v California http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/peruta-v-california/ is currently being considered by the Supreme Court. It has to do with a requirement similar to our "Good and Substantial" here.

Wrenn v DC and Grace v DC also deal with the same issue and have both had hearings in DC Circuit court last year. A ruling on these cases could be coming soon.

Carry didn't become proliferated across the country overnight. There are no longer any "no-issue" states and even D.C. has a permitting process now. It's taken decades to get this far. MD will be brought kicking and screaming into shall-issue one way or another. We can opine about how crappy it is for us behind our keyboards, but it doesn't change anything that's happening in Annapolis or elsewhere.

Rtc.gif

Wow, that map is incredibly interesting...

bokeldol

Aug 10, 2012
    Thanks, Bigfoot - It has been a while. We are still in Mass but finally preparing to move - the previous job decided not to relocate.

I agree that at least we are not in NY, NJ etc.

I guess for me personally I place a higher "value" on being able to conceal carry. Although my choices in handguns are "regulated" by a list of "approved" weapons, the fact that I can protect myself is key.

Boston is not Baltimore, but scum bags are everywhere. I have gone to Baltimore on business several times and I was very uncomfortable, knowing that even though I go out of my way to avoid sketchy places and trouble, my inability to protect myself is unsettling.

I continue to fight with GOAL, Commonwealth 2A and NRA to protect and get our rights back.

The 1A groups that protest for more control do not realize that if they succeed, the next to go is 1A. They do not understand that 2A is why we still have 1A....

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    One of my children and four of my grandchildren live in Maryland. I may not live to see the change, but I'm going to try and make it so they can.
    Your sentiments are certainly appreciated, but the educational system is against us. While you may be educating your children correctly, you are paying taxpayer dollars to hire teachers to teach your kids the exact opposite values you espouse.

I had a friend who handled his kids this way: when they wanted to examine his gun (he was a federal agent), he would unload the weapon, teaching his children how to do it at the same time. Once the weapon was completely unloaded, he'd let them play with it as if it were a toy. When the kids brought it up in school, the teachers were horrified. What if something had gone wrong? What if there was a round accidentally left in the chamber? The teacher was concerned and called my friend to find out more. When she found out he was a federal agent, she still didn't back down completely (I don't think she liked the idea of kids touching guns and thought it would spark interest in them, leading them to handle the gun behind their father's back.

"They don't need to," he told her. "They can handle them any time they want." As they get older, he'll let them unload it under supervision. And years later, he did train them how to shoot, load and unload various weapons. In some cases, he purposely handed loaded guns to his kids on range, watching them out of the corner of his eye to see what they'd do. In every instance his kids detected the rounds.

I only wish everyone could have taught their kids safety like this guy did. But as long as teachers insist on training kids to treat pistols like small range tactical nukes, there are going to be problems. (One of those "kids" is now a DEA agent in a senior position in Texas.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom