• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Has anyone written their state assemblymen on this issue and, if so, what are the types of responses you've gotten?

Have you gotten any rude or simply blunt responses that pretty much said it'll happen when hell freezes over and not one second sooner?

I've been plotting to get out of this miserable state for years and it doesn't appear I'll ever do it. Maryland officials in the past have been quite blunt in their opposition to carry permits. Even if violent crime dropped 96 percent in every state that enacted "shall issue" laws, Maryland lawmakers would still oppose them and, frankly, the idiots who live here would back them to the hilt.

Just curious, though, as to the types of responses people get.

Mr H

Banana'd
    This has been an ongoing concern here for the better part of 12(?) years, in varying degrees of intensity.

Many of us have made contact with both friend and foe alike (both are needed), and a number of those responses get posted in threads of interest. They run the whole spectrum, but if they reveal anything it is simply this...

Citizens of Maryland need to be constant, committed, and determined in their communications with their legislators, regardless of what form those communications take.

There is no one "right" way to keep on their radar (letters, calls, appearances, rallies, etc.), but there are certainly wrong ways (threats, haranguing, invective and such).

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Has anyone written their state assemblymen on this issue and, if so, what are the types of responses you've gotten?

Have you gotten any rude or simply blunt responses that pretty much said it'll happen when hell freezes over and not one second sooner?

I've been plotting to get out of this miserable state for years and it doesn't appear I'll ever do it. Maryland officials in the past have been quite blunt in their opposition to carry permits. Even if violent crime dropped 96 percent in every state that enacted "shall issue" laws, Maryland lawmakers would still oppose them and, frankly, the idiots who live here would back them to the hilt.

I wrote to Robin Grammer (R-6th District) twice with no response. Your post motivated me to try a third time. Here is what I wrote:

"Delegate Grammer:

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I live in your district and voted for you. I am a gun owner and I'm profoundly frustrated by our state's ineffective and arbitrary gun laws. The first regards wear and carry. I am certified by the State Police as a Wear and Carry instructor, yet that does not get me a wear and carry permit. If it wasn't for the fact that I have a Virginia non-resident permit and travel to states where it is recognized, I would have no experience in carrying a firearm in public, yet am I expected to train others to do so. That makes no sense. It also makes no sense that the general public in Maryland can only get the "privilege" of carrying when they show a good and substantial reason to a state police interviewer that uses arbitrary criteria to grant it. On the profoundly rare chance where one is granted, it is typically restricted, usually to a business owner for business purposes. That means every other Marylander that does not own a private business, is not a defense attorney, or does not have a history of being the victim of violent crime will not be able to wear and carry. I find that policy to be very discriminatory because it only grants the constitutionally granted right to a select few.
    My second issue deals with the so-called "Firearms Safety Act of 2013." This ineffective piece of legislation has a plethora of useless and ineffective rules that simply burden law abiding Marylanders while improving the black market for firearms. Take the 10 round magazine limit. I have a Maryland legal AR-15. I can only buy a 10 round magazine for it, yet I can travel to other states and buy drum magazines that hold nearly 100 rounds and legally bring them back to Maryland. That rule takes money out of the pockets of Maryland gun dealers because magazines are being bought by Marylanders in Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, and Delaware. It also does nothing to improve public safety.
    Another noxious part of the 2013 act is the ban on the AR platform unless the firearm has a "heavy barrel." A heavy barrel in many cases only weighs ounces more than a standard barrel, yet because someone arbitrarily determined that heavy barrel 5.56mm AR platforms are acceptable, while standard barrel platforms are not, we must live with that restriction. Again, I fail to see how this provision improves public safety, the stated purpose of the act.
    I could go on, but I'm sure that you've heard all of the arguments. This is my third time writing to you and I have not heard back the first two times. I get your email newsletters, but not even a staff member response acknowledging receipt of my email message. I hope to hear from you.

Andrew G. Knaster, Ed.S., MSIS, MABS"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Join the fight
    https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/join

The truth is that our legislature is simply too anti-self defense and we currently have a rabidly anti-gun Attorney General. We need more pro-gun legislators in the General Assembly and need to work to change at least a few minds there. We have a governor who is not an enemy and is not pushing for more negative laws. The process still stinks for getting a permit in MD, but it is -slightly- better than it was prior to him.

2018 elections are coming up and it's critical that everyone vote.

For a legislative recap of what was accomplished during our most recent session, look here: https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/legislation-tracker/59-2017-legislative-session-recap

Meanwhile, there are a number of court cases making their way thru the system that may affect our current laws later on.

Peruta v California http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/peruta-v-california/ is currently being considered by the Supreme Court. It has to do with a requirement similar to our "Good and Substantial" here.

Wrenn v DC and Grace v DC also deal with the same issue and have both had hearings in DC Circuit court last year. A ruling on these cases could be coming soon.

Carry didn't become proliferated across the country overnight. There are no longer any "no-issue" states and even D.C. has a permitting process now. It's taken decades to get this far. MD will be brought kicking and screaming into shall-issue one way or another. We can opine about how crappy it is for us behind our keyboards, but it doesn't change anything that's happening in Annapolis or elsewhere.

Rtc.gif

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I wrote to Robin Grammer (R-6th District) twice with no response. Your post motivated me to try a third time. Here is what I wrote:

"Delegate Grammer:

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I live in your district and voted for you. I am a gun owner and I'm profoundly frustrated by our state's ineffective and arbitrary gun laws. The first regards wear and carry. I am certified by the State Police as a Wear and Carry instructor, yet that does not get me a wear and carry permit. If it wasn't for the fact that I have a Virginia non-resident permit and travel to states where it is recognized, I would have no experience in carrying a firearm in public, yet am I expected to train others to do so. That makes no sense. It also makes no sense that the general public in Maryland can only get the "privilege" of carrying when they show a good and substantial reason to a state police interviewer that uses arbitrary criteria to grant it. On the profoundly rare chance where one is granted, it is typically restricted, usually to a business owner for business purposes. That means every other Marylander that does not own a private business, is not a defense attorney, or does not have a history of being the victim of violent crime will not be able to wear and carry. I find that policy to be very discriminatory because it only grants the constitutionally granted right to a select few.
    My second issue deals with the so-called "Firearms Safety Act of 2013." This ineffective piece of legislation has a plethora of useless and ineffective rules that simply burden law abiding Marylanders while improving the black market for firearms. Take the 10 round magazine limit. I have a Maryland legal AR-15. I can only buy a 10 round magazine for it, yet I can travel to other states and buy drum magazines that hold nearly 100 rounds and legally bring them back to Maryland. That rule takes money out of the pockets of Maryland gun dealers because magazines are being bought by Marylanders in Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, and Delaware. It also does nothing to improve public safety.
    Another noxious part of the 2013 act is the ban on the AR platform unless the firearm has a "heavy barrel." A heavy barrel in many cases only weighs ounces more than a standard barrel, yet because someone arbitrarily determined that heavy barrel 5.56mm AR platforms are acceptable, while standard barrel platforms are not, we must live with that restriction. Again, I fail to see how this provision improves public safety, the stated purpose of the act.
    I could go on, but I'm sure that you've heard all of the arguments. This is my third time writing to you and I have not heard back the first two times. I get your email newsletters, but not even a staff member response acknowledging receipt of my email message. I hope to hear from you.

Andrew G. Knaster, Ed.S., MSIS, MABS"

Grammar is very much pro-gun.
    He is one of my delegates too.

As a matter of fact, all of the D6 representatives in the House and Senate are pro-gun.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Grammar is very much pro-gun.
    He is one of my delegates too.

As a matter of fact, all of the D6 representatives in the House and Senate are pro-gun.

I don't doubt you. It would have been nice to hear from him. When I lived in Kathy Klausmeyer's district and wrote to her when SB281 was being considered, I got a personal response. She told me that she knew a large number of her constituents were against the bill and that she would be voting against it. She is a Democrat. I understand these folks are busy, but the courtesy of a response, even a form letter, would be appreciated.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV

Outside of the courts or Congress (via reciprocity), the only solution in MD is if enough Ds get thrown out of office over the issue and enough of the remaining ones see the writing on the wall and self preserve. You'll also need a receptive Governor simultaneously.

Needless to say it's gonna be tough.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I am fortunate that I live in Republican Central and if we could get some help, my representatives would be more than happy to allow their constituents to carry.

I've done my part, now it's up to the rest of you to get your representative to agree. :innocent0

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I wish I could say I was optimistic, but living in Montgomery County, even shooting a pellet pistol in my back yard is a felony. The liberals in my area are the types that if you said you wanted to carry a gun for protection against bears, they'd say you shouldn't be intruding on animals on their turf. My wife saw someone cutting down a tree and she said suddenly her neighbor came running out of her house screaming and in tears. It was the neighbor on the other side who was doing the cutting and our neighbor (a hugger of embarrassing proportions) was coming apart emotionally. My wife did what she could to calm the woman down, but she would have none of it. We knew she was outspokenly anti-gun from other conversations (liberals in this state carry on conversations without the slightest concern whatsoever that you could possibly ever have different views -- that would be absurd). Anyway, if trees could have guns in Maryland for protection, my neighbor would sign on in a heartbeat. Bears, too, but not people.

That would be dangerous.

If this woman knew I had guns, I don't believe she could sleep at night. In fact, she might have an emotional breakdown.

God, I hate this state.

SavageShooter

Jan 10, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    It will never ever happen here. An extremely false hope. That and other reasons are why I'm on my way out. My heart goes out to those who want to leave but can't.

Last edited:
    Mar 23, 2016
    Carroll County
    Why can't legislation for a permitting process like PA i.e. good statewide except Philly be proposed? MD's "Philly" could be the city, which I avoid like the plaque anyways, and result would be "no more guns in City"....

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    It would be nice to transfer the permit process from the MSP to the county sheriffs

I agree, Sheriff Jenkins would probably issue permits to those that are law abiding citizens of Frederick County, without any of the G&S BS that we have to deal with now with the MSP.
    :sad20:

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Cold Steel: the post just below you has a Political Action Plan link in big red letters.

I encourage you to click on it and join the "FREED" team.

Not sure why you weren't invited in that post.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Out of dozens and dozens of letters and e-mails, I've only gotten one positive letter back that actually addressed my questions and concerns. I received it during the gun grabbing session of 2017. All others have been canned, BS, responses.

It was from Delegate Susan McComas of Howard County.

She spelled out exactly what we need to do. And it's something that's been talked about a zillion times on MDS and in Annapolis. Yet it never, ever, happens.

And since she was kind enough to spell it out in detail, I will not mention it here.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Why can't legislation for a permitting process like PA i.e. good statewide except Philly be proposed? MD's "Philly" could be the city, which I avoid like the plaque anyways, and result would be "no more guns in City"....

May as well expand it to Prince George's, Montgomery, and part of Howard county while you're at it.

:D

Maryland already has state-wide pre emption of local gun laws, barring ones enacted prior to the state law.

Permitted carry is allowed in Philly, btw.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Has any of them responded by saying, thank you for your concerns, but I intend to do everything I can to keep anyone outside of the military and police from carrying handguns in this commonwealth now and as long as I'm in office?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom