anyone here have, or used, a Sig Sauer Whiskey3/5 scope?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    Looks like they have been out for about 3 yrs now. I wonder how good the glass is? Does it track well?

quickdraw17

I'd rather be shooting...
    Jun 24, 2013
    I don't have a Whiskey 3, but I just picked up a Tango 4 to mount on my 300 WM. First impressions are that it's a beast of a scope, good glass, however, I haven't sighted it in yet or put it through it's paces. I'll see what happens in a few weeks when I get it out for some extended range time. I will say this, if the dimensions are similar between the two, it's a bit difficult to mount on a long action, as there's not much adjustment you can do for eye relief. Fortunately mine fit...barely.

quickdraw17

I'd rather be shooting...
    Jun 24, 2013
    All right, just got back from the range today, so I have a better feel on the optic...

My rifle is a custom 300 WM hunting rifle, designed to put critters down at long range, and it's capable of 1/2 MOA. I managed to get the rifle sighted in at 100 yards with very little fuss, 4 rounds at 25 yds to get on paper, and 6 rounds at 100 yards to get a good zero. Then I shot a three round group to confirm....and to my surprise, printed the best three round group I've ever managed with that rifle, just outside of 1/3 MOA. I think this might be due to the fact that the reticle is a bit simpler than the prior scope (A Bushnell Elite LRHS), allowing me to focus on the center. Scope seems bright on somewhat cloudy day, and the reticle is crisp and clear and the open center crosshair with a dot seems to agree with me. Turret clicks are fairly crisp, and adjustments seem to hold true as I sighted in (I did not do a box test). Illumination has a TON of settings, which I haven't checked them all, but seems to cover as wide a range as one would need. The clarity of the glass seems good, compared to the other scopes I brought out that day, it seems nicer than a Vortex Viper PST, and not quite as good as a Leupold Mark 4, which would be expected given the price point of the optic. I took it out to 200 and 300 yards, and had no problem hitting a 6" steel plate to the point where it seemed almost too easy. Again, the reticle was nice here...just put the dot on the target and press the trigger. My dad tried a few rounds with it, and having never shot beyond 150 yards in his life, got back to back hits on 8" steel plate at 300 yards.

Criticisms: I'm not a big fan of the location of the illumination knob. It's right next to the parallax adjustment knob, making it easy to turn one when you want the other, which happened a few times. With the excitement of a game animal coming in range, I could see this as an issue, if only a minor one. Eye relief-This was the major problem for me. I found, especially on 12x, that my head had to be exactly in one spot to get a full view, and I couldn't deviate from that spot more than the tiniest bit. Not as much of a problem at lower powers, but at long range from rough ground it could be difficult to get a perfect head position to shoot, especially under a bit of stress. Normally, this could be adjusted by moving the scope forward or back in the rings, but unfortunately on a long action, I don't have any room to move the scope more than a fraction of an inch. On a short action or possibly on a different set of rings/bases, this might not an issue, but it took me quite a bit of time before I finally found the sweet spot. My dad especially had to fight with it for several minutes until he could get the eye relief well enough to shoot, and he wasn't able to get it at all on 12x. Now granted, for most reasonable hunting ranges 12x is probably not needed, but if you have a 12x but can only use it up to 9x, it kind of defeats the purpose of the extra magnification.

Overall, I think for the all features this scope has for the price, I think it's going to be pretty tough to beat, especially with the warranty Sig puts behind it. The only real problem is the eye relief, but again, that may not be an issue on another rifle. If you're looking for a scope for moderate to long range shooting under $1K, I think the Tango 4 is definitely worth a look.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I've looked at them and also thought the eyebox was a little small at the higher magnifications.

>> I brought out that day, it seems nicer than a Vortex Viper PST, and not quite as good as a Leupold Mark 4, which would be expected given the price point of the optic.

I have a 4.5-15 Mark 4 which has the same glass as the VX-3 line; personally I thought the Tango 5 glass was a little better although the scope definitely has greater tunnel at the higher magnifications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom