major leage fastball=85ft/lbs energy 41momentum

pro bowler tossing a 16lb bowling ball=120 energy 352 momentum

broadhead arrow from 60# bow 100 energy 22 momentum

heavyweight pro boxer 110 energy 220 momentum

pro golfer drive swing 140 energy 60 momentum

22 long rifle 125 energy 6 energy

PDX1 147gr9mm 297 energy 20 momentum

PDX1 230gr45acp 397 energy 28 momentum

A baseball has a fraction of the energy of a bullet, in fact most things that can be swung, tossed or thrown by hand will have far less energy than even the lowly 22, but could be plenty deadly.

Last edited:

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    nice post...though with all of that taken into consideration...a few things need to be kept in mind.

1. self defense situations last a matter of seconds, whats the point in trying to make someone "leak" enough to stop them? even with several gun shot wounds someone could take several minutes to "leak" sufficient "fluids" before these effects would happen.

2. a big hole means nothing if its no where of any importance...you know, shot placement.

3. i agree WC and SWC or FP bullets are better than RN, i would still honestly take a RN over a HP. the FMJs tend to go where you place them, and not much stops them in the body...a 9mm fmj can easily pass through a the clothing, the muscle, then through the rib cage, through the chest cavity, and still have enough steam to damage the CNS if you are lucky enough to hit it.

figure1.jpg

its pretty hard to miss something major with chest shots...

if i were to create a round for home defense, i would do a medium powder load with a flat point bullet...why? being a FMJ type round it naturally has penetration on its side, loading it a bit lighter than your normal self defense rounds helps limit this penetration, while at the same time reducing muzzle flash, sound and rise...allowing you to easily keep on target while putting as many rounds as possible into the target...and remember, do not stop shooting until they hit the ground...which, its almost pointless to tell anyone this because studies show that in self defense situations people tend to not only empty their magazine at/in, but even dry fire a few times before realizing it is empty.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    nice post...though with all of that taken into consideration...a few things need to be kept in mind.

1. self defense situations last a matter of seconds, whats the point in trying to make someone "leak" enough to stop them? even with several gun shot wounds someone could take several minutes to "leak" sufficient "fluids" before these effects would happen.

2. a big hole means nothing if its no where of any importance...you know, shot placement.

3. i agree WC and SWC or FP bullets are better than RN, i would still honestly take a RN over a HP. the FMJs tend to go where you place them, and not much stops them in the body...a 9mm fmj can easily pass through a the clothing, the muscle, then through the rib cage, through the chest cavity, and still have enough steam to damage the CNS if you are lucky enough to hit it.

figure1.jpg

its pretty hard to miss something major with chest shots...

if i were to create a round for home defense, i would do a medium powder load with a flat point bullet...why? being a FMJ type round it naturally has penetration on its side, loading it a bit lighter than your normal self defense rounds helps limit this penetration, while at the same time reducing muzzle flash, sound and rise...allowing you to easily keep on target while putting as many rounds as possible into the target...and remember, do not stop shooting until they hit the ground...which, its almost pointless to tell anyone this because studies show that in self defense situations people tend to not only empty their magazine at/in, but even dry fire a few times before realizing it is empty.

good points, thanks for the contribution. :thumbsup:

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    .good information in this thread though. I'm probably sticking to federal HST though.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Everything I've read in this thread suggests a .45 ACP in FMJ will do really well in a home defense situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom